The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So I went out to burn one in the garden and see if my opossum was out and I also have whippoorwills. No mistaking the call they make at night. I understand that their population is declining so my little organic paradise out back is bringing lots of wild stuff around. They feed on bugs and moths at night so if I play my cards right I'll have free pest prevention 24/7 for my peppers and tomatoes.
Mostly I have forest that has 2-3' sparse underbrush and all the climbing tree-killers like briars and poison ivy cut back. This is the oasis with shit everywhere.

Under the mulberry tree by that yuuuuuge (top center) log there's a bird feeder. I keep a layer of shredded cardboard there for them to scratch through and shit in. On the left by the boulder is a bird-bath bowl. The window planters are pollinators I started inside and mat further transplant if they don't like the boxes. Milkweed, bee balm and yarrow.
IMG_4917.JPG
My tomatoes are finally big enough I could string them up. Had a few days with high winds that had me stressint a bit watching them get thrashed around. The future beds behind the garden are not levelled or anything. one just has wood-chippered deadfall from the oaks and hickory to add to the compost a bit at a time, and the other is a hugel bed that I am gradually building above the small diameter logs. It's about half full but all light stuff that will be composted si it's still movable for now. The clothesline contraptions are money. I put a trampoline tie-down on each one so it didn't blow over and take every plant with it. Pretty sure that little light above the beds is the eye reflection of something waiting on me to go back inside.
IMG_4913.JPG
The 1g pot with the 3' tall flower is a wasabi radish I am letting go to seed. There's a few more scattered around that I started inside over the winter. It's actually kind of pretty - but the pic is shit.
IMG_4916.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
More non-weed stuff. This is one spare 200w bar light hanging from the ceiling with only a 120w driver lighting it up. I have the lighted racks to start seeds and grow lettuce and this is the transitional room between domes and going outside - or staying in as houseplants. Tubs of soil or soil components, and the clone tent 3x3 is off to the left. Last year this was all boxes of crap I don't need but saved for years.
IMG_4921.JPG
The everything table
IMG_4927.JPG
The one Tobacco plant I kept inside is doing the best. I think the chill evenings aren't good. This will go out later and I might hang some baby leaves to cure before I do. I want to try a little as smoke like a hash blunt. See if it's as nasty as it is with American corporate tobacco. But I am thinking that a ferment should make some killer pesticide. If it does I still have every seedpod that was sent - I just planted the loose gnatshit in the seed pack.
IMG_4930.JPG
The cactus out front is getting fertilized this year. I put some castings and mulch on it and will be looking to harvest some fatter fruit instead of watching the pitiful wrinkly little things go to compost because I didn't know they were edible. The inside ones might do well though. It seems that even though all the little sprouts look the same at first, only a few are new blades and the rest are flowers.
IMG_4923.JPG
I planted more of the Balsam. This is just a cool plant that has been easy to grow. The smooth stem is trippy, looks plastic.
IMG_4926.JPG
I do have weed though. I set the green Morning Brew outside the tent to be dark for a while before I chop it, and so I don't have to open a dark tent later to get it out. She finally has that crusty powdered sugar look, and this is lower nugs just above the canopy.
IMG_4935.JPG

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
More non-weed stuff. This is one spare 200w bar light hanging from the ceiling with only a 120w driver lighting it up. I have the lighted racks to start seeds and grow lettuce and this is the transitional room between domes and going outside - or staying in as houseplants. Tubs of soil or soil components, and the clone tent 3x3 is off to the left. Last year this was all boxes of crap I don't need but saved for years.
View attachment 127749
The everything table
View attachment 127752
The one Tobacco plant I kept inside is doing the best. I think the chill evenings aren't good. This will go out later and I might hang some baby leaves to cure before I do. I want to try a little as smoke like a hash blunt. See if it's as nasty as it is with American corporate tobacco. But I am thinking that a ferment should make some killer pesticide. If it does I still have every seedpod that was sent - I just planted the loose gnatshit in the seed pack.
View attachment 127753
The cactus out front is getting fertilized this year. I put some castings and mulch on it and will be looking to harvest some fatter fruit instead of watching the pitiful wrinkly little things go to compost because I didn't know they were edible. The inside ones might do well though. It seems that even though all the little sprouts look the same at first, only a few are new blades and the rest are flowers.
View attachment 127750
I planted more of the Balsam. This is just a cool plant that has been easy to grow. The smooth stem is trippy, looks plastic.
View attachment 127751
I do have weed though. I set the green Morning Brew outside the tent to be dark for a while before I chop it, and so I don't have to open a dark tent later to get it out. She finally has that crusty powdered sugar look, and this is lower nugs just above the canopy.
View attachment 127754
@H.A.F. ,hope the bug killer works, let me know ,if it affects the plants? pics of process?I rember you gitin that load in from baker and playing with the bag seed ;)

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Full moon - how can I keep forgetting that? Chopped one yesterday, and looking at the remaining three that were close the only place they aren't almost done is the tops that have a little new growth. My predictions went from weeks to days. The beheaded Hermberry is looking fine now, no new nanners. If it finishes out fine I may let Rasta Jeff know bout the week 8 nanners.
IMG_4976.JPG
The second Morning Brew is getting close
IMG_4977.JPGIMG_4978.JPG
The Cronus Sour was a dude so that's back on the drop list. My OCD is kicking in and I think I'll have lots of 707 until I get a clone of each 🤷‍♂️
The Cherrywest 1 is looking dude-ish as well. They haven't had time to root yet so the pots will be plug-n-play for the next to show.
IMG_4980.JPG
The waiting room is almost full. If the little Catpiss shows I might stick it in a 3g. The 3 Dogma up front have one stretcher and two shorties. I think I'll have two girls, but what would be cool is if the tall one and a shorty were girls.
IMG_4981.JPG
The Ducks are goofy looking, but have great structure.
IMG_4982.JPG
These are at 2 weeks and killing it. I veg stuff better when it warms up.
IMG_4984.JPG
No up-pot for the runt and the wonker. Both are looking much better though
IMG_4985.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@H.A.F. ,hope the bug killer works, let me know ,if it affects the plants? pics of process?
It'll definitely be something I use outside near veggies before I get it anywhere near the weed. I really have no use for it inside, I have no pests. But I do have all the veggie starts inside, and the garden right out the back door. I want something with some knockdown power so I have to read up before there's a process.

It will be fermented, but I don't know if there should be LAB added, or if there should be a vinegar or alcohol component at some point. I am counting on the nicotine and whatever else the tobacco carries to get leeched out, then have a good way to apply it at least on the soil. But you can always do a test spot on plants to see how they react.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
It'll definitely be something I use outside near veggies before I get it anywhere near the weed. I really have no use for it inside, I have no pests. But I do have all the veggie starts inside, and the garden right out the back door. I want something with some knockdown power so I have to read up before there's a process.

It will be fermented, but I don't know if there should be LAB added, or if there should be a vinegar or alcohol component at some point. I am counting on the nicotine and whatever else the tobacco carries to get leeched out, then have a good way to apply it at least on the soil. But you can always do a test spot on plants to see how they react.
i am headed for ghoste pepper, ferminted reds peppers don't pack enough heat ,for pest apps.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member

i know there is a difference between mint oil and peppermint oil , when it involves the girls !

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Gonna be busy. The only one done is the second Morning Brew. And the other trees will be moving in here.
IMG_5050.JPG
The Cherrywest is a chick so these all get kept now. The T-star and the Orange Gasm are moving, and maybe the Delerium dog if it'll fit.
IMG_5048.JPG
Because 4 out of 5 Ducks are girls and need pots - and all but one is getting a 7g. I have to try one in a 5g to see if it's a hassle for 16 weeks. I have the culled male 5g that is already cover-cropped and everything so that's an easy one. I'm sifting and mixing more soil as the pots get harvested lol.
IMG_5046.JPGIMG_5046.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I up-potted the two little cups with the mutant Disorderly Conduct and the Catpiss into 1g, but I had to put the rest on hold. The three 7g pots would have likely used most of the soil I have left. Then I would have to wait for the next batch from these harvests to get reammended and rest a bit. If any of the four 4-tops are girls they'd be fooked.

I have been over zealous starting inside veggies and such. The soil that is ready and reammended is now will get mixed with the two 5g I just harvested, the 1g I culled, any starter tray cells that have nothing in them on the veggie side - aaaaand any other soil I have laying around.

But I also have virgin peat, fresh vermi-compost, pumice, etc. and I can mix the lot into a larger batch - which means laying down the tarp and firing up the cement mixer is gonna be easiest.

Which I wasn't doing in the early AM :ROFLMAO: so the big up-pot stuff will be tonight. Maybe I see a few more girls at lights on tonight, or maybe I up-pot them all to make sure I have soil and floor-space, then cull males.

Overall though I am only harvesting 2 more pots within the next few weeks, three if the Hermberry Hermburst start's tossing nanners again, but I have the mini tent with 10 plants that are gonna get flipped as soon as they are clonable, and 4 in the clone tent that are slow but almost ready to flip too.

Best option is to have no extra soil components and los of usable soil. Oh my back LOL

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
lmao all that mixing and bags of soil is why I decided to just do hydro again this run....loving those living soil pots though!
Well, because I have a pretty decent fixed income I can buy the cool tools when I want. The cement mixer in my second spare bedroom 😜 🤷‍♂️ makes quick work of the mixing. It was a great investment so far. As long as I keep the container size to 5g buckets or those 8g totes it's all good. This batch filled 3.5 totes, two mixer's worth.

My main concern was the timing. I have a ton of plants going now and only a few in late flower. No used soil coming any time soon and it will need reammended when it does.

This should actually be pretty good for the 16wk Ducksfoot. It will have some craft blend in it that hasn't broken down as much so it might extend the life of the pot. And by the time I need it for the next plants it's had at least a few days to rest. The best thing about the mixer is getting the moisture level right throughout.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
But it's looking like my seed budget next month might be going to get a spare sack of peat to have on hand, and some pumice, and maybe another bail of rice hulls.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
3 Ducks got 7g, 1 got a 5g. Irene and Cherrywest
IMG_5060.JPG
The 2 Sunkiss will be out by Friday.
IMG_5061.JPG
All the cloned plants are flipped. If the clones don't take and it's dire I'll think about a flower clone. I need to keep the plants small since I'll probably have to jam pots in tents and the closet and still have airflow.
IMG_5067.JPG
The Cream has a cool variagation
IMG_5069 (2).JPG
This is veg.
IMG_5070.JPG
And the clone tent got whittled down to just clones LOL.
IMG_5071.JPG

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member

Most big seed outfits coat seeds, with a nicocide, the even kills birds that find a seeds behind the planter!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Did some research and it seems you only need to mix dried tobacco with water and a little Dr Bronners as a surfactant, and it just needs to soak for 24hrs or so. Which means my main concern is drying the tobacco first. And since it's going for pesticide I don't even need to do that very well.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Did some research and it seems you only need to mix dried tobacco with water and a little Dr Bronners as a surfactant, and it just needs to soak for 24hrs or so. Which means my main concern is drying the tobacco first. And since it's going for pesticide I don't even need to do that very well.
cool i like it!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So far this is working out pretty good. The two non-duck plants in the ducksfoot tent, along with the T-star in the other tent are the beginning of my mom hunt. The Cherrywest and the Irene that were girls were also the best growing and the clones are already rooted. Just lost the second Cherrywest to dude-ism. Same happened with the Irene and the T-star. I seem to get one girl and no decisions necessary for every strain LOL.

I spent $25 on a rechargable mini grass clipper for chop and drop in my veggie garden. My tomatoes are mostly killing it but I had a few peppers being shaded by clover and radish.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I need to mix soil. Again... new harvests with rested/ammended stuff. I have a few cups that need 1g in the clone tent. My T-star need clones taken or a re-pot, or both. Topping one to get ready to flip (branches still small) so that will be the clone. The other may just lose the fans. The mutant Disorderly Conduct and the Catpiss are in here and chilling for a while. I have 0% success on those top clones. They're still green but I bet a few have mush-stems if I was to check.
IMG_5165.JPG
The other babies need cloned, and they aren't looking that great under the two 65w lights. These seem happy but they are lighter green than I like. Might be too much light for the "food" they aren't getting. I need to get my veg closet back to veg or maybe shift them all to the clone tent at this size and ramp that light up tp 100w. Everything does stellar in there. I gave them a shot of homeade WCA for calcium and some fish hydo to boost the nitrogen last night and they look a little better this morning.
IMG_5168.JPG
In the flip-closet the two shorter Dogma in the back are showing and looking dude-ish but I'm not culling yet. That leaves the taller one to be a girl? :unsure: 🤷‍♂️ Partly why I am waiting to see more on the short two. I have the Freeborn fem in here (middle right) that I can go ahead and pot.
IMG_5170.JPG
In here I took the seed-leaf (they were YUUUUUGE!) and lowest limb off all 4 ducks. No clones. If I like this I have 25 more beans, but I will also have 4 plants worth of smoke and I don't want to fuck with keeping a clone around that long for an unknown 16wk plant. The other two are moms of the cupped clones that needed 1g's. So I have successfully mommed the Irene Columbian and the Cherrywest backcross. SCORE!!!
IMG_5171.JPG
The other tent has the closer ones. T-star (first mom) is back-left in the 7g and looks the frostiest of the bunch. The Delirium Dog back right looks a lot like the Homecoming Queen for plant and flower structure. I expect some rick-hard marbles all over it with nothing os size.
IMG_5172.JPG
The Hermberry Hermburst beheaded one is looking super frosty and is smelling like candy. I always snag close-ups to delete since I beheaded her for nanners. That was 3-4 weeks ago now and no new issues. Wierd.
IMG_5182.JPG
I have no clue what the flowers on the Orange Gasm will be. It's meaty chunks of flower with power-spike puff-ball stuff going on.
IMG_5174.JPG

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
this i have to keep in the tool box if it works right!