The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I just had an epiphany... again... :ROFLMAO: I hate cloning and that hasn't changed. Even for a strain I love that I could smoke daily. I don't get much off my seed plants. I'd say I average a between one and two zips per plant. Ones with smaller nugs like the CLHP it's usually leaning towards one. Each successive grow I got 'better' weed. The first was almost exactly like the first plant I grew. The second leaned more citrus but relatively the same. The clones are a more mature plant at flip so there's a cause/effect thing there to look at that makes sense. The last one was tiny clones, nothing special for the grow, but it reeks!

The others have all been fried chicken. The first plant and clones were KFC but I wasn't in living soil and not growing my best plants. This bean has the citrus and the first two are like an orange chicken. The last ones on the right have a very sharp lemon smell and it's like it was squeezed on a platter of fried seafood. This is the Captains Platter - corn meal not battered - with the sprig of parsley on the side :cool:
I'm getting good at this and love food. Trust me LOL
IMG_1528.JPG

So the epiphany is that I have too many beans to run, I have a tent full of clones now because I didn't drop beans often enough ;) It's going to take me a year to smoke this. I know because I'm working on the last of the Homecoming Queen that's from last June that I did this same process on with about three runs then calling it. I don't want to keep a mom/clone that long.

Taking a clone until I know about the smoke still stands, and that can mean a second round of clones or a few up-pots depending on how it grows. But after I smoke it flipping the mom or clones of the mom for a little more smoke is good enough. And how many beans I have left is another play-it-by-ear part.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
My other thought is that I have a LOT of the Momma Moonshine. It's really good, but I had three plants and they all netted over two ounces. And I am looking at the re-veg clones and still haven't taken cuts. The smoke has an amazing smell just like I remember, but I think that I may have fond memories of it because it was so terpy. The buzz hasn't slapped me down yet. Not culling yet but not cloning again either.

I am thinking that taking top-clones when I four-top everything in veg will work better for that general purpose. I can count on a decent size plant by the time the mom is smokable, but then flip or compost. Keep it simple, fuck long term moms. Variety is the spice of life.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Hi! I am H.a.F. but I can't roll a pretty joint to save my ass. 🤷‍♂️ 😁 In the past I have also been unable to work a damn rolling machine like those little two-roller things with a piece of plastic between them.
View attachment 117239
Took about three rolls to get the hang of it. To do it right it's messy so use a tray like normal. After I fill the little pocket I give it a half roll (lid half closed) to get it shaped, and use a poker to get any excess from where the paper goes. easiest to just hold it upside down over the tray while half closed and let gravity do most of it.

Anyway, after that there's a nice tight roll and a clean spot to tuck the paper. The last trick is you have to seal it before trying to remove it after you close the tray. The gummed edge is always right there so that's easy. If you don't you have to work to get it loose without it unrolling. Good gadget.
I'm the same...never been able to roll worth a shit and just resort to packing cones or using rollers.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I just had an epiphany... again... :ROFLMAO: I hate cloning and that hasn't changed. Even for a strain I love that I could smoke daily. I don't get much off my seed plants. I'd say I average a between one and two zips per plant. Ones with smaller nugs like the CLHP it's usually leaning towards one. Each successive grow I got 'better' weed. The first was almost exactly like the first plant I grew. The second leaned more citrus but relatively the same. The clones are a more mature plant at flip so there's a cause/effect thing there to look at that makes sense. The last one was tiny clones, nothing special for the grow, but it reeks!

The others have all been fried chicken. The first plant and clones were KFC but I wasn't in living soil and not growing my best plants. This bean has the citrus and the first two are like an orange chicken. The last ones on the right have a very sharp lemon smell and it's like it was squeezed on a platter of fried seafood. This is the Captains Platter - corn meal not battered - with the sprig of parsley on the side :cool:
I'm getting good at this and love food. Trust me LOL
View attachment 117296

So the epiphany is that I have too many beans to run, I have a tent full of clones now because I didn't drop beans often enough ;) It's going to take me a year to smoke this. I know because I'm working on the last of the Homecoming Queen that's from last June that I did this same process on with about three runs then calling it. I don't want to keep a mom/clone that long.

Taking a clone until I know about the smoke still stands, and that can mean a second round of clones or a few up-pots depending on how it grows. But after I smoke it flipping the mom or clones of the mom for a little more smoke is good enough. And how many beans I have left is another play-it-by-ear part.
i would be a big help with the backlog of cannabis ,you have in storage.

NoWaistedSpace

PICK YOUR OWN
Tonight as I shifted weed into smaller containers to get big containers for newer harvests I made a few cull decisions and this pretty much shows my thought process. The WIlliams Wonder and the Mountaintop Mint got almost culled. Both are good smoke I'd be happy with if I didn't have great smoke. I have a few tins with five small compartments so I topped off one each with the primo from those two strains - the tops and enough stuff with density to fill that slot. Both had a variety and the squishy larf washes well. Next time I get around to them those two will get more beans dropped and it'll be more of a hunt than a sure thing.

Anywhoooo I treated the flowers to some coconut water and a little homemade WCA (calcium) tonight/last night. The Piff's look like twins, but smell a little different and one is showing a little yellowing on the lower fans. I don't think the long-flowering strains are supposed to eat heavy so I am guessing it's more of a deficiency - we'll see. Still nice, plump little plants. View attachment 117054
I took a lot of lower stuff off the Sky Struggler (front) to see if it'll stop being a little bitch and looking wilty all the time. This is the final attempt and there are no clones. Dropped the bean on new years and it has never looked healthy enough to flip. Conversely I got some eye-protectors for my Barbeque death spikes and pre-staged for the frosty plumpness to come on the Sangria Cookies clone. Smoking some early stuff tonight and it's scissor weed. It'll gum up a grinder fast, quick, and in a hurry.
View attachment 117053
Which is why I am happy to have another one vegging along in here and a mom saved ;)
Family Tree seeds. The Skunkwater x Pandemic F2 (cool names LOL) has a crazy snub-nose look like a maple-leaf indica or something. And his two Pam 1 x KMR crosses are starting to pull ahead the pack a little.
View attachment 117055
What about your Freakshow? Is it any good?

NoWaistedSpace

PICK YOUR OWN
I have had two girls and they were good smoke. Not great but good.
I had a couple small ones about a year and a half ago. I don't where they came from.
I'd never had any of them in my seed stock before. Who really knows what you're getting anymore when you get seed. I keep the new seeds I've bred away from my old stock seed.
Anyways, was wondering if you had any luck with them and if there was a unique smell. I don't care so much about potency, as I do taste and quality of high. I can always take a few more hits if necessary.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I had a couple small ones about a year and a half ago. I don't where they came from.
I'd never had any of them in my seed stock before. Who really knows what you're getting anymore when you get seed. I keep the new seeds I've bred away from my old stock seed.
Anyways, was wondering if you had any luck with them and if there was a unique smell. I don't care so much about potency, as I do taste and quality of high. I can always take a few more hits if necessary.
It is definitely not questionable genetics, The leaves show that. It has no face-punch. But you do get high and it looks wierd. Main reason I grow it now it because I bought a 20-pack, and it's fun to watch.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have plans for tonight and tomorrow night. With 4 plants here
IMG_1532.JPG
and 4 plants here
IMG_1533.JPG
I can consolidate them into one tent tonight and give the other a thoroughcleaning, including taking apart the exhaust fans and getting the blades. Last time it wasn't that bad. The hack I made is a 1/4" mesh cylinder and a cloth filter designed for a shop-vac. It has an elastic opening so it's easy to replace and wash and the elastic clamps onto the exhaust hose. I'm not worried about smell so it's a good dust pre-filter.

In other news I shut down the clone tent and cleaned it today. I composted all but one clone. When I yanked the 24 SkunkXXX out of the horticubes all but one were at the point of swelling just before pumping out roots. One has a little sea urchin of root nubs at the perfect length not to break when pulled out. I stuck it in a solo cup lower right.
IMG_1536.JPG
The big one is the Cotton Candy Cookies top-clone I took. The mom got splooged by a herm and composted. The one gallons beside her are the last of the clones. I topped the Sangria Cookies and left 4-6 limbs and we'll see what happens. But I am not keeping moms. Cloning for a second run of a special plant is going to be about it from now on.

In other news I made a switch in cover crops. Variety is good, but after mowing very little survived to harvest. Since I don't chop and drop in the one-grow pots a mono-crop is fine. I got some plain uncoated white clover seed for a main crop. They sell it for people to eat the sprouts. :unsure: I'm not a deer so I'll pass on clover but it did get me thinking. Looking at different options for food items to plant among the clover or instead of it. I was thinking micro-greens, lettuce, cabbage, etc. and the first try is tiny bok choy in one of the SkunkXXX clones pots. I'm going to look at the seed to harvest times on stuff that might work. Might even do tiny carrots and such ;)

For now I put 4 hairy vetch seeds in each of the seedlings with the clover. Once they get going i should be able to work them around the soil instead of them climbing, but a few climbing might not be bad. It's that taller one on the lower right. This plant will not be graduating with it's classmates ;)
IMG_1530.JPGu
when I fire up the not-a-clone tent next it'll be for fall veggies, and this unknown reg to keep growing and maybe stretch some. Since there's no hurry maybe it'll give me a few trainable limbs to do a manifold and just let it veg forever until it's ready. The next batch has one funky-runt, the one I excavated and de-helmeted. If I have the slow-gro tent going it can hang out there but I won't hold back the rest. I also won't fight with a little bitch that might turn out to be a boy. It can sit in the corner until it learns, then it can come back out and play with the next group ;)
IMG_1537.JPG

Attachments

Now that I *should* have my Dominion smoke and some re-runs of classic fems I am already thinking about the next drop. I think it will be the Lemon and Lime run. I like most of those, but when you find the righ one it's tits. That'll be another clone every girl run in case I find that one.

Lemon Tree S1 (@Heisenbeans - Greenpoint)
Loud Lemon Sorbet fem (Ganja Farmer)
Mojito (Swamp Boys)
Lemon Piff (@High kev - 518)
Lemony Wicked (MaddFarmer)
Royal Limez (Emerald Mountain)
Rock Island Rocket F1 (@J.James - CLG)

I haven't run the Lemon Piff and I haven't gotten a girl from the Mojito. The Lemon Tree has good stuff even when the lemon doesn't pop. The Lemony Wicked was neither lemony nor wicked. The Royal Limez was my first grow in living soil and most stuff was sub-par. The Rock Island Rocket I didn't know was lime, but even the fucked up re-veg clone I just jarred has a hint. I need to drop more beans.

But this has a lot of beans in it so I will let stuff clear out again then hit that one hard. Just had to drop some karma beans on 7/10 like I did on 4/20. Fuck schedules, I like a challenge occasionally. :cool:
Following that Loud Lemon Sorbet....have you ran Ganja Farmer genetics before?

I have not. The one I ran wasn't that lemon so it just got culled about 2 months after harvest to the hash bin. While growing it had a hint of lemon - so there's that.
I came across them on SeedsHereNow website not too long ago. Grabbed 2 packs, one of them being Gelato Og Auto. I am starting to see that name pop up more and more ( Ganja Farmer ) so must be putting some funk out there. How many are you running?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I came across them on SeedsHereNow website not too long ago. Grabbed 2 packs, one of them being Gelato Og Auto. I am starting to see that name pop up more and more ( Ganja Farmer ) so must be putting some funk out there. How many are you running?
When I get an order in I have been dropping one or two each. With fems I just dropped one. I'll be running them again but since the first wasn't that special I'll run more at once next time and see if one is.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Kind of flawed logic I guess. Thinking that because I got bland the first try the rest of the pack is suspect, or that if I get fire from the first plant it wasn't the only one in the pack. It's from wanting to try everything all at once so definitely not scientific.