The James Gang

It's about the pot diameter. If you keep the plant confined to that vertical column above the pot it means if you can fit a pot you can fit a plant. That's another part of the pulling them out of the tent part. You have to think of them as individual entities instead of "a canopy". You can also raise and lower each plant to get that even canopy - or close enough.
That totally makes sense and I always start out like that, but once certain colas start jumping for the light I always end up having to train them into somebody else's column. Running out of vertical space is where I had issues on this grow, it turned my pretty green rectangle of weed into a train wreck. :ROFLMAO:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
That totally makes sense and I always start out like that, but once certain colas start jumping for the light I always end up having to train them into somebody else's column. Running out of vertical space is where I had issues on this grow, it turned my pretty green rectangle of weed into a train wreck. :ROFLMAO:
The fucked up thing for me is that once you top, you can do anything with it. I have 7 trees that I have to make fit and it's too late to top. I necessarily have to go for less plant, less limbs that are gonna stretch sideways, etc. 4 plants fills one tent and I have to make 8 ft in the other? LOL

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
@Zaphod420 - it's the same thing
Sort of but not exactly the same.

This is what my definition of a mainline looks like in theory - it doesn’t have to be all flattened out like that.

7C2D33CE-4D00-404C-95AE-E020BE9E4554.jpeg

And if you zoom in on these, that is a manifold.

B4A7E2A5-F8C9-4190-823F-316F2A493642.jpeg

Two different techniques that get get you to the same place.

Having done both, I prefer the manifold technique, since it does save some time. However the argument for mainlining is that the technique is “supposed to” provide more equal branching.

Sort of but not exactly the same.

This is what my definition of a mainline looks like in theory - it doesn’t have to be all flattened out like that.

View attachment 101442

And if you zoom in on these, that is a manifold.

View attachment 101443

Two different techniques that get get you to the same place.

Having done both, I prefer the manifold technique, since it does save some time. However the argument for mainlining is that the technique is “supposed to” provide more equal branching.
So clean... Looking really nice Old ST1R. (y)
Both of these methods look preferable to what I am doing now and I will probably end up trying both.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So clean... Looking really nice Old ST1R. (y)
Both of these methods look preferable to what I am doing now and I will probably end up trying both.
Mine will have to wait a bit before topping. Going into moist pots with seedlings thenkeeping worms alive I overwatered and need to let them get happy before I top. I'll probably work on both then keep the best. IMG_7152.JPG
Three of these will be ready for pots shortly. I added more starter soil to support the stems, and the roots are almost good in the cup bottom.
No problem with 6 in the veg closet while the plants are small so the Sweet Cindy will fit when it's ready if it get's there. It's struggling but vertical. It's roots are the same as the others though so it might get an interim up-pot to a bigger cup first to see if it makes it. If both the SC and the Mojito make it to up-pot one of the bagseeds goes. So I have time to build a pretty good mainline.
IMG_7151.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Wound up with 8.5oz of trimmed flower from my 2 sangria cookies. Not bad at all since I had to keep the plants smaller than I usually do because I grew these out in my 2x4.
I am down to the last of my first batch. It has that gold color and frosty as hell too. Still smells like fermented fruit. IMG_7148.JPG
For comparison here's 5 of my "last little bit" strains. That and the Hippie Crippler are well aged.
IMG_7144.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Plant recycling - extreme version! :ROFLMAO: IMG_7156.JPG
I have been feeding all the trimmings and stuff to the worms and drying the stems/trunks of the plants for a woody part of the worm bedding.
This time I saved up a harvests worth of the stems and stuck them in a paint can in a fire for some bio-char. I was burning brush anyway so I tossed the can in the pit. Didn't take long since there's mot a lot of rings on the trees...

I have a few tubs of the old soil left that is pretty sterile except for any top-dressing nutes leftover. This will get "charged" with some re-charge so it isn't a sponge that sucks the life out of the soil. I'll be getting that soil beefed up and gradually mix it in with the build-a-soil stuff.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Before and after. The big fans cannot be there if I am keeping all the plants. I only took two lower limbs (Prana) because they were laying on the pot edge. I may take a few more limbs before everything puff-balls. I'll keep taking the upper shade leaves on most until there's some separation from the canopy and the tops.
IMG_7157.JPG
Back: Big D Energy - Tardis - Cement Shoes
Middle: SSHP x Baguettes - Prana - Querkle
Front: Double Alien - Sage CBD
IMG_7159.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's how I garden-by-pic. I got the individual plants pruned up outside the tent, got everything situated then looked at it. I leaned back in and took a few more fans. Looking at the pic there are at least 2 on each plant that need to go. The two with the green arrow have skinnier leaves, so if they get some stretch below them those can stay. Done for tonight though, nothing's dying so I'll get them tomorrow.
IMG_7159.JPG

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Nope. That is just topped keeping 4 limbs from two separate nodes. It's just a runty thing
What you’re describing is exactly what a manifold is. Four branches all going into one. Two are main tops and two are secondary branches.

An eight top mainline is two into one into one times four. All eight tops are main tops without any secondary branches involved.

That is the difference.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The cup plants got watered well and three are getting big pots tomorrow. I'm gonna set them in place of the empty cups and see if they handle the light/wind well for a while. If it's good in the morning I'll get them actually transplanted. The Sweet Cindy is gonna get a regular size beer cup rig with some worm castings in the bottom - that might be tonight, but it's staying in the mini tent.
IMG_7165.JPG
The prepped pots are getting warm in the closet as well. the empty cups actually have water in them to weight them down.
IMG_7164.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
What you’re describing is exactly what a manifold is. Four branches all going into one. Two are main tops and two are secondary branches.

An eight top mainline is two into one into one times four. All eight tops are main tops without any secondary branches involved.

That is the difference.
We already covered that. the 'manifold' is the specific 8-top that fans out from the first two limbs (the instruction pic) instead of repeated topping which is 'mainlining' the nutes directly from the trunk up an equal path to every top.

@Zaphod420 Here we go. Short and simple: 3-toed leaf, I take even the prettiest limb. The next node is going to generally have more uniform structure. If you are in a rush keep 'em if they are even. You'll likely end up with 4 uniform, but smaller limbs than you would have had at the next node. If you have a runty side it's not worth it.
IMG_7162.JPG
And the 'almost FIM' topping. If you ever break down a plant after harvest, even the hollow stems are not hollow at the nodes - like bamboo.
By topping above the next node there's won't be a hole straight down through the plant to the nodes you are keeping.
IMG_7163.JPG

We already covered that. the 'manifold' is the specific 8-top that fans out from the first two limbs (the instruction pic) instead of repeated topping which is 'mainlining' the nutes directly from the trunk up an equal path to every top.

@Zaphod420 Here we go. Short and simple: 3-toed leaf, I take even the prettiest limb. The next node is going to generally have more uniform structure. If you are in a rush keep 'em if they are even. You'll likely end up with 4 uniform, but smaller limbs than you would have had at the next node. If you have a runty side it's not worth it.
View attachment 101523
And the 'almost FIM' topping. If you ever break down a plant after harvest, even the hollow stems are not hollow at the nodes - like bamboo.
By topping above the next node there's won't be a hole straight down through the plant to the nodes you are keeping.
View attachment 101522
Oi that's easy... The next fem beans I drop I am totally trying this technique. Thanks for the pics H.A.F. (y)