The James Gang

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I worked in a KFC for about three years one week. Shitty job with necessarily shitty managers etc. Quit over camping out for Van Halen tickets :ROFLMAO:

Told the manager right when we showed up that we (buddy and I) had to leave early to get in line for tickets and got the OK. When we started taking off the aprons he got pissed we said fuck it. Looking for work when I found this... Buddy clocked out on the register and I didn't - we picked up our last paycheck and I made about $20 more than him. We worked the same hours because i was his ride :ROFLMAO:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
A short history of my "Bagseed Breeding" project so my stoner ass can serch for this if it ever matters.

I had a volunteer bean pop up a while back under a plant that was late in flower. It was under a Lemon Tree S1 tester from @Heisenbeans, which did have a few early nanners but I never found one bean in the smoke. But the volunteer smoke when I grew it out had a definite lemon smell/taste. Quite possible that it made one bean early and dropped it.

That's the first part of the story, because then I was growing that volunteer out I had a tester that full-on seeded and I never saw it.
IMG_6737.JPG
The buds in the middle are the last tops from the Headbanger x Zerelda cross from @J.James. Beautiful, dank, fuck-you-up smoke with a lot of sour. But it was a little fluffy because it is full of beans. A few dropped out when I dumped those tops.

Soooooo I am saving none of the Headbanger-Zee bagseeds. Hermie prone and I'll get another shot at them if the line gets worked.

But in the tent at the same time I had some fire in various stages of flower. Sangria Cookies, Vin Santo, Homecoming Queen, Northern Lights and the first CLHP. Each of those has had the occasional bean, no more than a dozen per plant.

The 8 at the top are big beautiful beans from the volunteer - so second generation "breeding" :ROFLMAO: here at my grow. I was busting up the last of the volunteer smoke to grind, or at least get any last beans out.

With the fire I am growing I am keeping future bagseeds and labelling them unless it's a shit plant. But I have the Chemdog going right now and she threw a few nanners early and I may not have caught them all in time. So I'll keep track of the plants in this round so that if any beans show up I know it's probably a Chemdog cross.

At some point I may get bored and play around with this and I wanted to quantify what I had in writing so I didn't get mixed up later.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but here is what my stoner logic came up with.

If a female plant selfs that is a feminized bean since there were no male genes involved?

Then extrapolated from that - since I have never grown a male plant to the point of pollen pretty much any beans I find are feminized?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
More stoner logic because that "Lemon Volunteer" is fire.

There is a lot of ethical junk about breeding/growing bagseeds. I can see the truth in that if you are a breeder (like all the ones we hear on the podcasts) and plan to make money off selling beans.

Chemdog...

If I have a volunteer bean that produces a few beans in every run but it's fire I see no problem.
Even if I was slinging it I would advertise it as a "free three-pack in every ounce!" :ROFLMAO:

But for my own smoke if it selfs me a few beans every grow and it's nothing pervasive or too rude to the neighbor ladies then fuck it.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
When I grind up the dank, sour, nasty stuff I like to enjoy that by itself.
When I get out the citrus/fruity stuff I like to get out a few at a time and do a mixed salad.
I think that even if it's not weak, the sweet strains seem to have a 'one-note' high. Maybe two. Like, you can get into different zones with each one moreso than the couchy stuff. So mixing those notes can make some crazy chords 🎶🎵:ROFLMAO:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Sangria Cookies is an exception... I think it has enough of that sour/fermented smell and taste to give it more notes. Still great mixed though :)

Streetpro09

Tester
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but here is what my stoner logic came up with.

If a female plant selfs that is a feminized bean since there were no male genes involved?

Then extrapolated from that - since I have never grown a male plant to the point of pollen pretty much any beans I find are feminized?
This would be my assumption too. I had a buddy that had a zkittles plant self pollinate. I grew out 4 of those beans and they were all female. The lowers had a tendency to hermi but what fem breader doesn't warn of this already?

I've recently had a round of oil slick do the same to me now. While trimming i might have found a couple hundred beans, all nice and dark. Probably better looking than most I've gotten in packs that I've paid for. Lol. Well i didn't have the heart to throw them away. Not sure I'll run them anytime soon but I'm pretty sure I'm holding onto them with the same logic you have. If not all, most will be fems.

So if you want some free oil slick seeds, just give me a shout. Would be curious to see what comes outta them. That cross has been one of the most smelly and potent that I've run this year and i didn't save any clones.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This would be my assumption too. I had a buddy that had a zkittles plant self pollinate. I grew out 4 of those beans and they were all female. The lowers had a tendency to hermi but what fem breader doesn't warn of this already?

I've recently had a round of oil slick do the same to me now. While trimming i might have found a couple hundred beans, all nice and dark. Probably better looking than most I've gotten in packs that I've paid for. Lol. Well i didn't have the heart to throw them away. Not sure I'll run them anytime soon but I'm pretty sure I'm holding onto them with the same logic you have. If not all, most will be fems.

So if you want some free oil slick seeds, just give me a shout. Would be curious to see what comes outta them. That cross has been one of the most smelly and potent that I've run this year and i didn't save any clones.
I have some Oilspill that were bred on purpose (F4 I think) but right now I have plenty of the Vin Santo which is a cross. Those got bumped back on the list to drop just because of the similarity.

I have heard... that the best plants to fem are usually the harder ones to get pollen from. If you have to beat the shit out of them to make pollen the offspring won't be as likely to toss nanners.

As far as the fully seeded plants, I have had two and niether showed anything until they were dry and getting jarred and the beans started hitting the tray like rain. As far as I am concerned that is hemp seed, and I have used them for sprout teas. If it makes that many beans I think looking through the children would find a lot of trannies.

Streetpro09

Tester
I have some Oilspill that were bred on purpose (F4 I think) but right now I have plenty of the Vin Santo which is a cross. Those got bumped back on the list to drop just because of the similarity.

I have heard... that the best plants to fem are usually the harder ones to get pollen from. If you have to beat the shit out of them to make pollen the offspring won't be as likely to toss nanners.

As far as the fully seeded plants, I have had two and niether showed anything until they were dry and getting jarred and the beans started hitting the tray like rain. As far as I am concerned that is hemp seed, and I have used them for sprout teas. If it makes that many beans I think looking through the children would find a lot of trannies.
Oh mine was an oil slick bred by heisen. It's kinda funny(frustrating) how similar these names are getting.

I've heard basically the same thing about making fem seeds. Guys used to stress them and now use chemicals instead. Probably why fem seeds have more problems now. I would think that stressing them naturally, like you say, would create the best seeds because you'd know how much stress it actually took to make them throw boy parts.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I've heard basically the same thing about making fem seeds. Guys used to stress them and now use chemicals instead. Probably why fem seeds have more problems now. I would think that stressing them naturally, like you say, would create the best seeds because you'd know how much stress it actually took to make them throw boy parts.
I think genetically it would depend on how dominant the hermie-pollen-prducer is compared to the catchers. If it made pollen because it is weak or a freak then the traits might not carry over to a stronger mom - or at least be recessive enough that it could be selected out later.

Right now the quantity and variety of beans I have on hand to run is gonna keep me from doing any of this for several years. But if I'm around in several years then I may be bored of this and want to chuck some pollen intentionally.

But right now any beans I made would just get added to the list of stuff I have to run. By the time I get around to second and third runs of stuff I like then breeding might be a consideration.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Redropped the Cement Shoes and I may have a quirky Querkle. The other 6 are running hot straight and normal.
IMG_6751.JPG
It has a wierd sideways thing going on. It has a few seed-leaves that look to be starting. They looked like that yesterday too. I don't really want them staggered too much, so it's sink or swim for the Q. Not dropping another this round.
IMG_6752.JPG
The CBD Sage twinsie is still looking like a normal plant. I snipped the ugly step-sister and it started growing better. Stuck her in a 1g pot, and I think this is a situation to use up some of my FF top dressing stuff and skip the living soil. If she jumps in the 1g then I might give her a large pot. But I think it will be runty so fuck it, a 3g is probably all she'll get. IMG_6753.JPG
Zoom. I was about 15' away in a lawn chair with the Pink Floyd on. They were arguing. Red vs Blue. I was really high and it interested me.
Red won... I was listening to Animals LOL
IMG_6747.JPG

D

Deleted member 60

So if I was to pheno hunt through any beans I have, my only concern will be herm-prone and not male-female?
Exactly.

As for the "rodelization" method....that was popular 20 or so years ago when "Soma" was promoting it. Never bought his seeds/etc....but I think I remember "problems" through the fog....so it isn't fool-proof. It all hinges on how stable your stock is, IMO. A clone (or clones) that never herms won;t make seeds that herm when crossed. Shit droppin out of nowhere ("dude..I found these seeds in this bag of great dope...")....different story. While the risk is always there...we all know some cuts are far more prone to funny biz than others.

So >I< say that the thought that the sprays/chemical routes to make these seeds is the source of hermies... is off. It isn;t the method...it's the chosen stock folks use that makes the difference. GOOD stock makes SOLID fems. I've been running fems solely for over 20.....and it's just been in the last few that shit has become iffy and I have had herms (and seeds) in my space.

OrgiBX 1 and Dracarys 1 & 2 are all now in full blown stretch on day 8 of flower with flower sites opening up all over the canopy. I just picked a few leaves and raised the light a couple fists. I am going to try and just let them go scrogless and see if I can still keep them out of my light. This will change if Drycarys overgrow OrgiBX(Bot R) but she is holding her own and looks to be fine for now with pretty good access to the light.
D1 D2 O1 D8F.jpg
D1 D2 O1 D8F.jpgD1 D2 O1 D8F B.jpgD1 D2 O1 D8F C.jpgD1 D2 O1 D8F D.jpg
Heavy defols for BCL 1&2 and OrgiBX2 and keeping them running lean and mean in the veg tent for at least 1 more week. I took a couple cuts of OrgiBX1(Bot R) and Dracarys 2 5 days ago and they're all threatening to throw roots any day now.
BCL 1,2, OrgiBX 2 D41.jpg

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Exactly.

As for the "rodelization" method....that was popular 20 or so years ago when "Soma" was promoting it. Never bought his seeds/etc....but I think I remember "problems" through the fog....so it isn't fool-proof. It all hinges on how stable your stock is, IMO. A clone (or clones) that never herms won;t make seeds that herm when crossed. Shit droppin out of nowhere ("dude..I found these seeds in this bag of great dope...")....different story. While the risk is always there...we all know some cuts are far more prone to funny biz than others.

So >I< say that the thought that the sprays/chemical routes to make these seeds is the source of hermies... is off. It isn;t the method...it's the chosen stock folks use that makes the difference. GOOD stock makes SOLID fems. I've been running fems solely for over 20.....and it's just been in the last few that shit has become iffy and I have had herms (and seeds) in my space.
Cool. Like I said - not breeding. I just have some potential fire of questionable origin. That is why I didn't keep the beans from the herm plant, but I did from the ones she hit. There's a 50/50 thing there.

Since I run testers regularly the possibility of nanners happening is just something I have accepted and watch out for, because that's my 'job'...
Not acceptable for beans I paid for, uness it is a strain trait that is well known (Chemdog, Cookies crosses etc.)

And I don't plan on ever distributing seeds other than if a friend wants some so ethics are non-existent. It's whatever I want.

Short version is that between testers and storebought I have ended up with fire more often than not. I have killed and smoked trees that others would have mothered for years (I think) but in small space growing, every clone I keep is a bean I can't drop - in perpetuity if I was keeping mothers.

D

Deleted member 60

Short version here: "Proven" clones taking up space is a far different game here than "testers" taking up space. Proven clones don't herm and fill yer tent with seeds. :( You also won't hear about the "grower errors" you never knew you had prior to running those tester seeds while taking up space with proven clones. :p

But no worries here. I'm over both practices. Live and learn. To each their own.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Short version here: "Proven" clones taking up space is a far different game here than "testers" taking up space. Proven clones don't herm and fill yer tent with seeds. :( You also won't hear about the "grower errors" you never knew you had prior to running those tester seeds while taking up space with proven clones. :p

But no worries here. I'm over both practices. Live and learn. To each their own.
There are a few instances where I have cloned. First just to learn how, a few times because I only had one bean of something, and the last one with the CLHP was because I was planning on doing a seed run at the time. The stone cold fact is that I grow smoke for me - period. I have a mini fridge full of dank-to-fruity goodness to the point that I am a weed snob. There are 'go-back-to' cultivars that I will grow again when I run out - and see if it was the same pheno. Or find something new. Doesn't matter.

With the variety I have on hand a quart of one strain is a LOT. I'll force :rolleyes: myself to cycle through what I am smoking instead of sticking to the ones I love the most. It's almost like a tolerance break so that strain continues to do the job. I have some that are better the second time around (after more cure) and some that are not. Those go to hash. Which also stretches out how long a quart lasts:unsure:

So cloning is a thing of the past for the most part. If I like a strain then next drop I'll do a manifold or just stick it in a bigger pot to go for more quantity. But as I said, a quart is a lot for me. Especially if it's all nice cola's from all my tree limbs.

With regs if I am going for a specific pheno I liked I can see running some clones just to sex them so I don't have to veg males too long, but in the past by the time they had clones big enough to take I was ready to flip them before the clones showed anything. And if I have a pack that I have only run a few of to get a girl, I may do that a few more times before getting to the "I hope there's a girl left" point.

Small plants, more of them.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@stiickygreen also, most of the testers I have run had no nanners. This last run with the Zerelda crosses they all went south, with the one that looked OK but had hidden nanners. Could have been the beans, could have been me but there was nothing obvious. I should have culled them all, but whatever I grew the one out.

Other testers - 4th Gear, Dank Sinatra, Hippie Crippler, Banana Hashplant, Sangria Cookies, Homecoming Queen, Croquembouche, Vin Santo... and that's just off the top of my head. All fire.

I think that I lucked into a good breeder to be a tester for.

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder

I bet I can get it to herm. Just put it up against a high Kev grow room and u will see