THE BROADER SPECTRUM 380-760nm Samsung Strips

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
The latest, greatest build!!
Hey buddy - I got the little 4-strip light and eventually got these directions out of him. Couldn't find it on the site, and I didn't find him nearly as helpful - but I am buying lights, not friends.

Anyway, this seems to show one wire miraculously dividing into two...
Does this indicate two separate positive and negative wires coming from the driver?
View attachment 87664
I could see how ur confused. Thats series wiring.
A 4 hole wago shiukdve been included. Where ya see the 1 turn into 3 + and 2 -. Thats the wire off the driver, splitiing. Make all ur leads coming off the wago the same length, jumper wires too. Short anf sweet. Do one side at a time. Good luck0402211611_HDR.jpg0331212131_HDR.jpg0402211611.jpg

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The latest, greatest build!!

I could see how ur confused. Thats series wiring.
A 4 hole wago shiukdve been included. Where ya see the 1 turn into 3 + and 2 -. Thats the wire off the driver, splitiing. Make all ur leads coming off the wago the same length, jumper wires too. Short anf sweet. Do one side at a time. Good luck
It was easy to figure once he confirmed that there were two separate wires coming from the driver for both pos and neg.

I downgraded from 250w to 160w, and am still not using full power. This was just to get a good veg spectrum going in the veg room.

Thanks for the reply

Choco8

Insanely Active Member
FWIW, there's a very interesting article on LED lighting here from a yearlong light intensity study. I'm not sure how comprehensive or meaningful it is.

I bolded what I thought were some interesting quotes in the piece.

"GreenSeal participated in a yearlong light intensity study that included eight to 12 light fixtures with varying spectrums in over 500 sq. ft. of canopy space. (Read the full paper in Agronomy Journal at bit.ly/GreenSeal-agronomy-journal). Our findings were surprising: light spectrum had very little, if any, impact on flower yields and terpene content after accounting for light intensity. It may be worthwhile to conduct R&D to determine whether light spectrum is truly delivering the downstream results that growers are looking for."

What we discovered is that a 300-watt LED is not necessarily going to produce as much light intensity as what the plant can tolerate throughout its grow cycle to maximize yields. Instead of trying to simply replicate the 1,000-watt HPS fixture with an LED, growers can consider increasing their wattage under LEDs to increase their light intensity, as the extra power consumption costs are more than outweighed by the extra dried flower yields, and ultimately, revenue.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
FWIW, there's a very interesting article on LED lighting here from a yearlong light intensity study. I'm not sure how comprehensive or meaningful it is.

I bolded what I thought were some interesting quotes in the piece.

"GreenSeal participated in a yearlong light intensity study that included eight to 12 light fixtures with varying spectrums in over 500 sq. ft. of canopy space. (Read the full paper in Agronomy Journal at bit.ly/GreenSeal-agronomy-journal). Our findings were surprising: light spectrum had very little, if any, impact on flower yields and terpene content after accounting for light intensity. It may be worthwhile to conduct R&D to determine whether light spectrum is truly delivering the downstream results that growers are looking for."

What we discovered is that a 300-watt LED is not necessarily going to produce as much light intensity as what the plant can tolerate throughout its grow cycle to maximize yields. Instead of trying to simply replicate the 1,000-watt HPS fixture with an LED, growers can consider increasing their wattage under LEDs to increase their light intensity, as the extra power consumption costs are more than outweighed by the extra dried flower yields, and ultimately, revenue.

Good thing I am not worried about yield. I want healthy plants - let the genetics take care of yield.

Different spectrums do have benefits during different parts of the grow. Especially on this particular plant - and I am sure on most one-time flowering/fruiting plants. There'a a part where they get ready to make fruit, and the part where they are doing it. Happens in nature too as the seasons progress.

But in nature as they get towards the finish line the fall light is actually gentler - which might account for a lot of crispy leaves and nute issues when people blast them in flower with twice the wattage they got in veg. 🤷‍♂️

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Pardon me - I'm high...

There's also a happy medium between too little and too much light. If your plants continually stretch a lot regardless of strain, or if your buds are light and fluffy regardless of strain, you might need more light. But if you get decent node-spacing in veg, and plump/dense flowers at harvest, that's the ballgame.

I haven't been getting good stretch in veg, so I am hoping the higher spectrum will fix that.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Since I'm here, I now have 2 HLG 260's and 2 HLG 135's - basically 6 of the same board and 4 drivers to split between two tents.

If I was to rig a new frame for the QB's would the 240 driver power 3 boards (instead of 2)? I would rather have one driver generating heat in the space.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Put a longer cord on the meanwell. I used long heavy cords on a couple to remove the heat source.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Since I'm here, I now have 2 HLG 260's and 2 HLG 135's - basically 6 of the same board and 4 drivers to split between two tents.

If I was to rig a new frame for the QB's would the 240 driver power 3 boards (instead of 2)? I would rather have one driver generating heat in the space.
75 watts max per qb132.
Yes. If ya turn it down

Choco8

Insanely Active Member
When I went gentler with the lights most of my growing problems evaporated
Fascinating. I guess everyone's experience varies with this. I've been using ever more lighting and getting nothing but great results with the particular strains I am growing. With both the Durban Poison and Strawberry Lemonade strains, I am using closely spaced (about 6" apart) 500w LED quantum boards no more than 12" from the canopy and the plants absolutely love it. Not a crispy leaf in sight. No stretching. No weird mutations. But this is in a room with insane amounts of ventilation, so maybe that's it? I really don't know. Very interesting in any case!

April 4 DSC01102.jpg

Strawberry Lemonade April 4 DSC01106.jpg

DSC01103.jpg

Choco8

Insanely Active Member
Buds look fantastic!

Cheap lux meter? Dr. Meter for example.
Thanks! I just asked this bud if she was happy after another day of being blasted at close range with light and the answer seemed to be "yes". 3 weeks to go and the leaves are all in perfect condition, with bright white pistils bursting everywhere like mad. No aging or stress that I can see.

Thanks also for the meter recommendation, I should get one.

DSC01108.jpg

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
lux meters are cheap and help a lot.

HPS hits 50k lux at 2 feet from the glass ! Crazy. LED drops off faster and it makes sense. Grow styles reflect how you get weight based on lighting.

I keep the canopy at 50k lux minimum. There are adjustments on all lights but i put them on 11.

I adjust the plants to the lights because that is how it is (HPS/COBS/BOARDS in bloom). The bigger issues i find are temp and RH. As long as i keep it at 80F in bloom or so i find the plants like it the best.

With the light pounding.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The bigger issues i find are temp and RH
With my little setup the temp is gonna max out before the lights. I have to find a medium between full lights and full exhaust, and I like having some of both in reserve if needed. If you have to run full-bore your equipment ain't gonna last as long - fans more than lights.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
With my little setup the temp is gonna max out before the lights. I have to find a medium between full lights and full exhaust, and I like having some of both in reserve if needed. If you have to run full-bore your equipment ain't gonna last as long - fans more than lights.
extending the power supply cord will fix that for you. I took a meanwell out of a 32 x 32 tent and temps went from unmanageable to 78 degrees on full.

Full bore will get 50k hours ;) at least. I bet they outlast me. 50k hours on 11/13 is over 12 1/2 years

Hope i live to regret it !

Carpe Diem

That wake and bake really was heavy on the bake...it took me 7 attempts to ge the spell checker to hit unmanageable.

Godbud X Grape Stomper..FIERCE.

I will be adjusting all lighting when i chop out. HPS can come out and its time to get ready for the warmer weather...complete tear down and clean down and get things ready for some awesome gear. I have to turn things down soon...AC and the pool pump are rough on the power bill.