Schwaggy P's Random Stuff

@Schwaggy P Thanks for the well explained reply.

I'm a flower grower, but am going to try one run of seeds. I have some cross-breed reggies (Royal Mystery) that I already did a run of for flower and I love it - produced the flowers in my avatar. I want to F1 that strain (I think?)

I also have some fem seeds from ILGM that I have grown out and like. My main considerations in the crosses I am planning with fem seeds from that RM (F2?) has been stature (keep it short), and flower-time (shorten it because the RM is a 70+ day flower, the ILGM's are closer to 56).

So far I am considering Superskunk, Bruce Banner and Black Widow as the fems to cross.

I also have Skywalker OG (a little too much dirt taste for me but rocking the THC) and GDP (the ILGM version is a shrub, leafy as hell, no stretch)

This is a one-and-done seed run then back to flowers, so any insight would be appreciated.
To begin the F1, F2,…etc. refers to the filial generation. This just means which iteration of female x male cross generation we’re talking about. If you don’t know for sure what filial generation you started with (because the breeder/source doesn’t say), assume the seeds are F1. So if you made seeds using a female and male from those you then created an F2. These have more thorough definitions in genetics, but they have taken on a less strict meaning, so we’ll stick with the casual definitions as described.

You’ll generally see/deal with F, S, and BX as genetic suffixes. F is the filial (female x male of same strain). S is “selfed” (reversing a female and pollinating itself to create S1 feminized seeds). BX refers to back-cross. I have a previous post about this is you’re interested.

Cube or Cubing is a triple backcross.

Back-crossing is a process whereby the target plant is pollinated by successive progeny in order to reinforce the genetic contribution of the target female to resultant progeny.

To make this concept more visual:
As a male is chosen from each new back-crossed generation and used to pollinate (or cross back to) the target female, the phenotype of the target female is further reinforced in subsequent progeny. Usually, to the extent a strain is backcrossed, the process stops around BX#3 (cubing) as the resultant plants would have about 94% contribution from the target female. This is considered a good stopping point since the target female’s phenotype will theoretically be “locked down” in the progeny.
Generally, you’ll want your male selection to impart the structure you want. This is just a result of being able to observe this characteristic trait in the males. Since you really can’t see what types of flower/potency and other female traits he’d influence, you work with what you can observe from him.

You’ve mentioned fems (I don’t know if this means you only have feminized seeds of these, or that these are the intended female plants that will come from regular seeds of these strains): RM F2, Superskunk, Bruce Banner, Black Widow, Skywalker OG, and GDP. If I’m reading correctly (feminized seeds except Royal Mystery), this means you’ll have to use a male RM F2. If this is the case, choose a male with the structure most like what you’d want to be expressed in the resulting plants.

Ultimately, you won’t know whether or not you hit your intended breeding goal until you pop the seeds and run them.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@Schwaggy P - The Royal Mystery was from @J.James - good stuff! The only "genetics" issue is that there is a definite unknown that he acknowledges.

It was Royal Queen (known genetics) but the other was "Mystery Meat" - I think from this site - where a breeder of great genetics had unknown extra seeds lying around. All good stock, but no idea what.

The fems are all from ILGM purchased as fems, so I have whatever genetics they claim as a starting point for those.

@Schwaggy P - The Royal Mystery was from @J.James - good stuff! The only "genetics" issue is that there is a definite unknown that he acknowledges.

It was Royal Queen (known genetics) but the other was "Mystery Meat" - I think from this site - where a breeder of great genetics had unknown extra seeds lying around. All good stock, but no idea what.

The fems are all from ILGM purchased as fems, so I have whatever genetics they claim as a starting point for those.
All good, if it checks the boxes, sounds great. So since the Royal Mystery is providing the male, choose him based on the structure you want. If I had to guess, the Superskunk will be your best bet to shorten the flower time.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
X2. See it all the time with GG#4 and ECSD, then folks bash it thinking a misrepresented S1 is a "bunk strain" or "weak" when in fact the the opposite couldnt be more true.
X3, I cant stand anything that isnt labeled right, especially when they use the wrong brackets/parentheses. Also 3 way crosses that just shows the 3 with no bracket, no way to have an even 3 way cross. I hate when folks dont clear that shit up!

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
I find the modern, especially cookie based things to not differentiate enough from each other. It's as if they are all just slightly different phenos of the same recessive OG.
I agree with this, I have tried working cookie lines into stable crosses and had nothing but issues trying to isolate certain cookie traits. Lots of duck foot leaves and herms no matter what breeder the cookie line came from. Makes me think one of two things happened early in the breeding process of GSC,
  1. The plant got selfed onto itself without the use of clones
  2. The plant was "Stress" selfed
Both are No No's in breeding

I agree with this, I have tried working cookie lines into stable crosses and had nothing but issues trying to isolate certain cookie traits. Lots of duck foot leaves and herms no matter what breeder the cookie line came from. Makes me think one of two things happened early in the breeding process of GSC,
  1. The plant got selfed onto itself without the use of clones
  2. The plant was "Stress" selfed
Both are No No's in breeding
They breed like multi-trait homozygous recessive OGs. I get that they can produce some very frosty looking buds, but it doesn't seem to really outperform other choices. I don't slight plants based on yield generally, but some of these are just sad given the opportunity cost of not running less finicky, bigger yielding, stronger smelling, harder hitting plants. I get they look pretty and frosty, but grab a hashplant and side-step all the headaches.

Hogbackmagic

Super Active Member
They breed like multi-trait homozygous recessive OGs. I get that they can produce some very frosty looking buds, but it doesn't seem to really outperform other choices. I don't slight plants based on yield generally, but some of these are just sad given the opportunity cost of not running less finicky, bigger yielding, stronger smelling, harder hitting plants. I get they look pretty and frosty, but grab a hashplant and side-step all the headaches.
I AGREE
I have 2 sundae banana cookie females I do not care for the way they look kind of lanky plant
and the strech I am getting OMG not sure if I am goin to flower them or not just yet I bet when they go
into flower the sky is the limit ✌
I am sticking with any old school genes I come across a lot of hype
over frosty popcorn nugs from cookies line
I like easy plants that are not that fussy to grow and is worth the time spent growing them

Texagonian

Outlaw

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
The Chaco cut is relatively new to me, so I've only gotten her to about week 4 in flower. This is the thread from Chaco all about the ECSD. Given that Chaco has chronicled his experience with the cut (it's just ECSD, not something he made) and cemented his cut as "legit", as it spread from him, adding the "(Chaco's cut)" just pays homage to someone with a verified copy. Similar to Chemdog'91(Skunk VA), in that the guy "Skunk VA" did not make or pop the Chem'91, just a guy who held on to the cut and is generally accepted to be the original representation.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=148035

I got the Rattlesnake Diesel from a friend with very little info about it. All he told me was that his source is a very well traveled fellow that holds many rare cuts and routinely supplies breeders of high esteem; the Rattlesnake Diesel is an old West Coast Laytonville Sour Diesel.

In researching, I couldn't find much about the cut. I saw that there is another strain that goes by the same name that is a C99 cross, but it's a more modern thing not at all related to this cut. I did find that there is a Rattlesnake Summit around Laytonville, so I'd guess that's how this cut got the name.

The other Sour Diesel cut, from Asshole Joe (AJ's Sour D), is another variant that I have access to, but haven't gotten ahold of yet.

Sour Diesel lineage is a real mf'er to nail down because there are so many purported lines involved. I've seen variations of Chem'91, DNL, Mass Super Skunk, Hawaiian x NL, RFK Skunk, Original Diesel, etc. supposed to be involved. Unfortunately, in the case of Sour Diesel it was a fluke of a creation. The Sour D seed came from a hermie scenario. Being that it was unintentional in a room of various strains with hermie tendencies, there is no definitive answer.

❗The following is written with information gathered over time, these accounts of history may have been amended by the various parties since my reading these things or warped by my memory. So take this with a grain of salt.

JJ-NYC (Top Dawg Seeds) has said that the seed originates with some of his friends and remains adamant that it is a RFK Skunk/Hawaiian X NL. I've read an account about Mass G (Chemdog, the guy) claiming that the seed came from his room and that it is Chem'91(skva) x Mass Super Skunk. So, we have 2 well known/respected growers/breeders that have conflicting origin stories. I've also seen (Chem'91(skva) x Mass SS) x NL5, so 🤷‍♂️. Another variable at play here is that the names of cuts were changed back and forth using similar monikers to describe main ingredients (I've seen Chemdog go by "Diesel" as well as the incremental steps toward Sour Diesel called "Original Diesel").

Now, here's where I'll take the liberty to pull some opinions from my ass and offer some observations from my own experience with related genetics and what could be involved in the Sour Diesel. To reiterate, this is just me spitballing, and is in no way intended to be an authoritative account of what the hell is in the Sour Diesel.

Long story short: No one can say for certain what the lineage is, and even the people closest to the genesis have varied responses over time. I think it’s closer to Chem’91 x Mass SS.

Short story long:
When I grew out Appalachian Super Skunk (Mass Super Skunk x Appalachia) I got many phenos with sour/citrus terps. Appalachia is (Green Crack x Tresdawg); GC is not citrusy and I'd be shocked if Tresdawg would bring that smell considering it's a Chem D BX2. So, I would credit the Mass SS for imparting that smell. I've never experienced any citrus terps from other Bodhi Appalachia crosses, so this reinforces my MSS assumption.

The genetics behind Giesel are less contested than Sour D and was made by Mass G crossing (Chem D x Mass Super Skunk). Since Mass G created this one, he named it as a shortened, “G’s Diesel” to create Giesel. So it hints that a Diesel recipe follows a Chemdog crossed to Mass SS.

In this scenario, I have Chem D so I know what traits to attribute to her when observing the Giesel. She has a citrus note to her profile, similar to the citrus I smell in the Appy SS phenos. It’s not a specific citrus fruit (orange, lemon, lime), but a generic acidic citrus that gives a “sour” aspect to the nose. This terp is not a Chem D attribute as she’s more funky/rank.

I also have Chocolate Diesel (Chocolate Thai (Katsu cut) x Sour Diesel IBL 1.5) that smells nothing like chocolate, but is very sour apple citrus smell. But since the Sour D used in this one was a Rez Sour Diesel BX using NYC Diesel to do original outcross, I can’t say whether the sour citrus note is coming from the Grapefruit terps of the NYC Diesel or a reinforced Mass SS trait expressing from backcrossing.

Some are adamant that the tall stretch of the Sour D is thanks to a Hawaiian, but the Chem’91 has a solid stretch that could explain the “bean pole” structure. I find the Sour D lineage explanations that don’t include the Chem’91 to be very hard to believe. The Sour D’s bud structure (both Rattlesnake and ECSD) looks so similar to the Skunk VA cut of Chemdog with the mint green calyxes and small dark oily secondary/tertiary leaves that poke out between floral clusters and cup inward.

The differences I’ve observed between the ECSD and Rattlesnake are mainly structural. Whether this means they are different phenos from the original population of hermie seeds that spawned the Sour D, the same cut that has drifted to some degree, or something else entirely is just speculation.

The Rattlesnake Diesel structure takes on more of a “Skunk” frame with a main apical stem surrounded by secondary branching that generally stays below the main stem. While the ECSD acts more like the Chemdog or an OG with shared dominance among many branches that can equally fill a canopy. Both cuts will branch easily, it just seems as though the Rattlesnake prefers to have a main top.

For smell, I’ll generalize and say that Sour Diesel is mainly comprised of two notes, Fuel and “Sour” (think generic citrus sour). Rattlesnake seems to have a more pronounced sour profile, where the ECSD has more fuel to the balance.

The best way to describe it, assuming the Sour D is (Chem’91 x Mass SS), is that the Rattlesnake Diesel seems like it leans toward the Mass SS, while the ECSD leans more toward the Chem’91. Again, this makes many assumptions, but it’s a decent way of striking the difference between them.

I don't keep the Rattlesnake in constant rotation, because she takes awhile to finish and no one is interested in the premium that goes into that (different topic for a different discussion), so my pictures of her are somewhere on an external hard drive full of older grow pics. I was only able to find a group shot pic with some Rattlesnakes in the back row . You can see that she has a solid stretch.
Thank you Schwaggy for the in depth response. I've read the stories before and you recapped them very well. The conflicting stories are all part of Sour Diesel lore and a big piece of the mystique. I sincerely appreciate your input as well. It will definitely help in future projects.

Speaking of projects. One day I would like to do a side by side grow comparison of all "relevant" Sour Diesel cuts. From start to finish. I think we will be able to tell a lot from a Pepsi Challenge type of comparison. Such a coveted and often times misunderstood strain deserves some attention in an area other than "It's Sour D Bro, 4 realz" 😄 Let me know if you're as intrigued as I am about this. I am willing to dedicate time and space to such an endeavor.