Roadkill Skunk-

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'll buy 4/5 packs of the honduras(about 50+ seeds) landrace by Ace Seeds and then select the phenotypes which match this description, then use the maruf dominant males at my disposal for f1's.

Another 6+ month project to keep me busy as the world goes to shit.

All it takes is encouragement when looking down one of these multi-year projects, encouragement and good drugs of course!
For me it's a novelty. It's always been about the buzz. I have found a few reliable go-to's for the buzz I like so everything else is just looking for more/new/other.

I have a spreadsheet to keep track of my beanbank so I'm not always rifling through the fridge. At the moment I have about 1000 beans in 102 reg crosses As of the last seedling drop I only have 20 or so that I have not at least dropped a few of. And I have gotten girls out of about half.

That doesn't count the 286 fem beans in about 60 strains. My long term project is to grow everything :)

Shua1991

Really Active Member
It's the honduras I wanted to grow for the effects anyway lol, the maruf stuff was purely purchased based on odor.

Because it contains the lowland colombian/Mexican genetics which supply the upbeat happy effects provided through this hondurace landrace.

It's all there waiting to be utilized, it's giving me a road map, a goal to work towards in more concrete terms.

I was using "Golden Tiger" for the sheer potency it possesses and it happened to also have recessive rotting/meaty phenotypes of which I have now 1 female plant in possession, the honduras will provide me with more opportunities to achieve this, and potential Honduras x GT hybrids since I have a stable male selected from my pheno hunt.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think that the skunk was also attached to a specific terroir. The Appalacian region of the US is at the right elevation and the right latitude in certain places to mimic Afghanistan. The difference in actual land chemistry might be what gives it that extra skunk smell.

Shua1991

Really Active Member
I think that the skunk was also attached to a specific terroir. The Appalacian region of the US is at the right elevation and the right latitude in certain places to mimic Afghanistan. The difference in actual land chemistry might be what gives it that extra skunk smell.
Yep, it's availability to sulfur, I used garden gypsum to get it to my plants, a pheno I've grown for a year that smelled like chocolate cherry wine(plushberry x cuvee) now smells like winecork/whiskey barrel and cherries, the sulfur is obviously modifying the odor through thiol production. It's really showing me which phenotypes of the cheesequake I'm growing "got it" and which don't.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Yep, it's availability to sulfur, I used garden gypsum to get it to my plants, a pheno I've grown for a year that smelled like chocolate cherry wine(plushberry x cuvee) now smells like winecork/whiskey barrel and cherries, the sulfur is obviously modifying the odor through thiol production. It's really showing me which phenotypes of the cheesequake I'm growing "got it" and which don't.
Also the actual neolithic makeup. I think there's a lot of quartz and granite here. Not sure about Affy.

Shua1991

Really Active Member
Also the actual neolithic makeup. I think there's a lot of quartz and granite here. Not sure about Affy.
Afghanistan is notoriously nutrient and mineral rich, full of stuff ripped up from the mantle thanks to the Himalayas/mountain ranges.
it's more complicated that what I saying for sure, I'm missing a few micronutrients/trace minerals to conclude with certainty, i ordered some green sand and langbeinite to help with this, but my plants diet really shows how their odor is modifiable. It's true with onions in particular, your "garlic/onions" remark reminded me why I bought the calcium sulfate(gypsum) in the first place, as a gardener from town told me to use it on my onions to boost the strength of the flavor. I told her I hated making tacos with vidalia onions, it turns any recipe into some gringo ass flavor lacking failure and she laughed telling me it's because they're grown in regions with very low sulfur, and purple onions produce more anthocyanins and uptake more sulfur, so cook with those. I bought some gypsum the next day and it's 100% boosting the stank, I plan on going fully organic soon using compost so I'll add egg shells and a few other things to boost sulfur and calcium in my compost. It should help.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It's actually only a part of one county in Ga that has the real vidalias because of that terrior. Been there, done that, got a sack of onions LOL Those can be eaten like an apple and just have a hint of onion flavor. It's more of a desert onion. Cut the top off one and bake it with salt and pepper, brown sugar and butter.

The shit in most grocery stores is just those onions grown elsewhere - but maybe close.

Shua1991

Really Active Member
images_medium_ao1c04196_0002.gif

This is a chart detailing 7 Volatile Sulfure Compounds aka mercaptans. Dimethyl Sulfide -also found in garlic/onions in various degrees also have similar anti-microbial,fungal,viral and anti inflammatory effects. Like their terpene counterparts, this group forms a cocktail which determines the final "skunk bouquet"

Some of these aren't known to even exist outside of cannabis and are unique to it, they all degrade into some form of sulfur aromatic stank near or after harvest though terpene and thiol degradation.

Table 2. Volatile Sulfur Compounds (VSCs) Detected in Cannabis, CAS Numbers, Aroma Descriptions, and Retention Times

compound ID
compound name
CAS number
aroma descriptora
1tR, 1tR (min, s)

VSC1 dimethyl sulfide 75-18-3 sulfurous, vegetable, cabbage 4.684, 1.851

VSC2 3-methylthiophene 616-44-4 fatty, winey 9.009, 8.967

VSC3 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol 5287-45-6 intense, sulfurous, skunk-like 10.082, 2.318

VSC4 3-methyl-1-(methylthio)-2-butene 5897-45-0 intense, sulfurous, savory 13.226, 2.285

VSC5 3-methyl-2-butenyl acetothioate 33049-93-3 intense, sulfurous, skunk-like 20.328, 3.4479

VSC6 bis(3-methyl-2-butenyl) sulfide N/A mild, alliaceous 25.465, 2.848

VSC7 bis(3-methyl-2-butenyl) disulfide 24963-39-1 mild, alliaceous 46.706, 2.965
Aroma descriptors reported by olfactory testing panel.

Last edited:

Shua1991

Really Active Member
Well lookie here- an update, with pictures! OK I may just be parting with my money soon! Anyone else here brave enough to drop 300?

Screenshot_20220712-203836_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220712-203829_Chrome.jpg

I might be foolish enough in the next week!

Looks like it has the purple lowland colombian/honduras in it, very interesting, sativs thin leaves too.

Oh baby

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
I grew RK skunk for a spell granted its been years but I just do not remember sativa dominated leaves it finished at the latest sept 1 although I kept breeding the earliest finishers.... Man $300 is up there for sort of a fishing expedition but my want to smell, taste and enjoy it is up there

Opie1

Master Grower
Well lookie here- an update, with pictures! OK I may just be parting with my money soon! Anyone else here brave enough to drop 300?

View attachment 117087View attachment 117088

I might be foolish enough in the next week!

Looks like it has the purple lowland colombian/honduras in it, very interesting, sativs thin leaves too.

Oh baby
This guy is in Spain, I’m not sure if he knows what a skunk like

Shua1991

Really Active Member
I grew RK skunk for a spell granted its been years but I just do not remember sativa dominated leaves it finished at the latest sept 1 although I kept breeding the earliest finishers.... Man $300 is up there for sort of a fishing expedition but my want to smell, taste and enjoy it is up there
Curiosity funds the cashgrab

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
afghan selection seeds sholgar
Created in Sholgar district in Balkh Province, famous for the funky motor oil, gassy, fresh and strong flavours which are dominant in this cultivar. The strain from this region is always very potent and extremely popular amongst the local smokers.

Type: Indica Dom
Area: Indoor / Outdoor
Flowering Time: 56 - 77 day
Yield: Medium / High

id love to find a good male in a pack of these sholgar for my first go at breeding. wonder if it would funk up some cheese abit more were its lacking now.
You wanna check out some real Afghan plants? Go to this guys channel.
Pak and Afghan cannabis Seeds on youtube