Roadkill Skunk-

curious2garden

Really Active Member
I did from authentic genetics. I have a couple of nl2s and 3 skunk 1 x nl2 in flower now. It's too early to have much smell but I'm not expecting anything RKS like. I think the place to start that search is afghan selection seeds. If I ever find them available by CC or PayPal I might.
It's not worth a picture since they are only about 2 weeks old but I popped those and they will follow their AG seeds Northern Lights #5 onto the flower table. I'm looking forward to seeing what his Skunk #1 produces. I enjoyed his Northern Lights #2 which I just harvested.

Shua1991

Really Active Member
And I mean there was no question about it or trying to think about what it selled similar too. There were no thoughts of onions, or burning rubber, or whatever. It was the same smell as when someone hit a skunk.

And driving by that there is never a thought in your head about "Is that onions and garlic?" :unsure: :ROFLMAO:
As it turns out, mercaptans can smell like rotting skunk, fish, poop, cabbage(sewage) and some nuts(macadamia) produce these oils.

This is some fruitful info, turns out there's tones of peripheral research done on these hydrocarbons/compounds, pre-existing without need of federally banned cannabis research.

As it turns out, mercaptans can smell like rotting skunk, fish, poop, cabbage(sewage) and some nuts(macadamia) produce these oils.

This is some fruitful info, turns out there's tones of peripheral research done on these hydrocarbons/compounds, pre-existing without need of federally banned cannabis research.
Sometimes "bro-science" is all you need....if it works, it works. 🤷‍♂️

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails

There's tons of research, and I'm sure that they could chemically reproduce the terpenes/thiols/whatever and come up with an additive that smells exactly like skunk. None of that helps grow a plant with the same smell.

Shua1991

Really Active Member
There's tons of research, and I'm sure that they could chemically reproduce the terpenes/thiols/whatever and come up with an additive that smells exactly like skunk. None of that helps grow a plant with the same smell.
Um, actually I kinda hinted that the compounds/terpenes/thiols responsible like humulene is naturally present in cannabis and hopps(thc oils/resin) will be able to PRODUCE the skunk aromas from sunlight breaking down oil(closer to harvest when they mature) then thereby producing the thiol responsible for the damn "skunk" smell.

It's as if the beer effect is our skunk in the coal mine, it produces similar biochemistry and effects/reactions.

This happens to beer, that tastes unlike skunk to, In a vacuum produce humulene/mercaptans which then flavor said beer with skunky thiol/sulfuric flavor/compounds after degradation from uv/sunlight.

You getting what I'm saying here?

Doesn't have to smell like an actual skunk up close.

If any of you personally grew rks then tell me.

You only smoked the flowers, or purchased them, so the way they got that scent isn't entirely known. This requires experimentation, but results are results, however we get there isn't set in stone.

Last edited:

Shua1991

Really Active Member
I just did 5 minutes of parallel research into these chemicals and their production via various plants and foods. Not bro science, just research.

Applying research to a experiment to test if this were true is the "bro science part".

If this can be tested, I will test it. If the results are fruitful and they can be reproduced consistently then we can all verify for our selves.

I haven't looked at cannabis with such curiosity until reading about what causes these odors were all so accustomed to.

Last edited:

Shua1991

Really Active Member
3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol 👈

This is the main culprit, it's what we scientifically can prove causes skunk smell via gas chromatography tests proving this.

It's not rocket science or bro science.

This is what we are all after, this is the Golden goose, the plants that produce this in higher percentages will produce greater skunk aroma.

It explains why the odor peaks near harvest when the oil is maturing via you called it

UV/sunlight!

How do we as growers, enthusiasts maximize this compounds production in commercial product, that is the question we are all looking to answer...

Beer/humulene + sunlight = 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol

Last edited:

Shua1991

Really Active Member
Remembering my rotten tuna plant gave me a "eureka" moment, it makes so much sense that it's part of the sulfur/thiol degradation process and curing/harvest methods and even preharvest, the diet of the plants and genotype all impact its final odor, plants with pre-existing aptitude for sulfur uptake like "skunk" plants are capable of then degrading into much funkier flowers, but have to be aged/cured like cheese, so a fucked up harvest/dry could strip important oils and humidity which may prevent this from otherwise occuring? Perhaps sunlight and anaerobic bacteria(which degrade oils into 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol) in the curing process are what we're missing, like improper methodology in favor of reduction of odor at all intervals of cannabis farming. It's a shame.

Last edited:
I just did 5 minutes of parallel research into these chemicals and their production via various plants and foods. Not bro science, just research.

Applying research to a experiment to test if this were true is the "bro science part".

If this can be tested, I will test it. If the results are fruitful and they can be reproduced consistently then we can all verify for our selves.

I haven't looked at cannabis with such curiosity until reading about what causes these odors were all so accustomed to.
All good my friend. I have been doing alot of reading myself. I know the how, but now I want to know why. Figured mine as well learn as much as I can. I am just the "if it's broke why fix it" type person lol.

Shua1991

Really Active Member
VOLATILE SULFURIC Compounds: aka thiols/mercaptans are the culprit, and some of them are absolutely on show for me right now with this cheesequake, and even the rotting meat phenotypes of golden tiger(and the maruf Afghan are purported to display) show they produce these, really interesting knowing their chemisty. Like asparagus is good at sulfur uptake, cannabis that excels at this will always be skunkier, so selectively breed for those plants. I now know, use more garden gypsum- select the stinkiest males, breed to stinkiest females for a few generations and we should have better results. This will take years of effort and changes in methodology too.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
VOLATILE SULFURIC Compounds: aka thiols/mercaptans are the culprit, and some of them are absolutely on show for me right now with this cheesequake, and even the rotting meat phenotypes of golden tiger(and the maruf Afghan are purported to display) show they produce these, really interesting knowing their chemisty. Like asparagus is good at sulfur uptake, cannabis that excels at this will always be skunkier, so selectively breed for those plants. I now know, use more garden gypsum- select the stinkiest males, breed to stinkiest females for a few generations and we should have better results. This will take years of effort and changes in methodology too.
I have 2 Maruf crosses at the seedling stage. For what it's worth Mr Trees (Family Tree Seeds) said he specifically selects for the rotten funk.

More food for thought. The skunk bud I got was green. Every time. I know some strains tend to keep that green even if dried poorly but they don't also keep the squishyness. I would chalk this up against sun-dried and more towards how it was treated after it was bucked.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I may have mentioned it in this thread or another, but I'll reiterate that I was fond of the skunk smell because of the high associated with it. When the bud smelled like that, the cool buzz followed. No question.

I grew out the SkunkXXX and it is now cured. It's not skunk, but it's also not Skunk1 flowery. I think the buzz is pretty close though.

Sugar Pops

I may have mentioned it in this thread or another, but I'll reiterate that I was fond of the skunk smell because of the high associated with it. When the bud smelled like that, the cool buzz followed. No question.

I grew out the SkunkXXX and it is now cured. It's not skunk, but it's also not Skunk1 flowery. I think the buzz is pretty close though.
Good to know that it has a similar buzz! Probably saves a lot on having to double up on carbon cans too… lol
Im on a farm and we’ve had skunks here before, so that stank wouldn’t be any surprise to anyone (specially our dogs), not that it would matter way out here either though.

Sugar Pops

I don’t remember double serrated leaves, but I do remember them being very fat bladed, like two fingers wide, the leaves were full almost round in shape with all the fingers being so tight, and you could smell the skunk in veg! ( no beer added, skunky or otherwise) her nodes were tight, she was bushy like a pure strain indica.

Shua1991

Really Active Member
I don’t remember double serrated leaves, but I do remember them being very fat bladed, like two fingers wide, the leaves were full almost round in shape with all the fingers being so tight, and you could smell the skunk in veg! ( no beer added, skunky or otherwise) her nodes were tight, she was bushy like a pure strain indica.
You're describing the Afghan were all looking for. Squat, fat and funky.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Good to know that it has a similar buzz! Probably saves a lot on having to double up on carbon cans too… lol
Im on a farm and we’ve had skunks here before, so that stank wouldn’t be any surprise to anyone (specially our dogs), not that it would matter way out here either though.
Best way I can describe it is a "fun" high. A high school high if that makes sense. Like that dude scalping tickets in Fast Times says "Wherever you are, that's the place to be" :cool:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
You're describing the Afghan were all looking for. Squat, fat and funky.
This is what I have been saying !!! :ROFLMAO:

And Northern Lights is an inbred selection from an Afghani landrace. The timing is off for the NL being "the skunk" but it comes from the same line, and is widely available in various forms from lots of breeders. It's the easiest place to start unless you want to weed through a sack of landrace.

I got the Maruf crosses because after what I have learned - since I am not breeding - I have no desire to hunt through the hundred(s) of whack landrace plants to find the few that rock. I can let someone else find a good one then hunt through their stuff to see if they select for what I like.

I'm sure there are other places to look because I doubt we all had smoke from the same farm all across the country. Which means that there was some Afghani that got around besides what Seattle Greg had for making NL.

Shua1991

Really Active Member
Screenshot_20220325-010051_Chrome.jpg
I have to select for the short, squat and funky phenotypes which are "maruf black" dominant expressions, "corpse odors" will be the type of mercapatan/thiols I'm going to select for.

This hybrid includes GMO in its lineage so I expect similar thiols that also skunk spray contains in smaller concentrations than the 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol, the main odourant. A cocktail of funky terps and thiols up close can be distinguished individually as lemony/skunky, at a far distance the mercapatans take over and the skunk odor is carried further and with greater receptability. 😀 this is the phenomenon we are all aware of experiencing via passing a farm where you just "know" its being grown, those are the "volatile sulfure compounds" being wafted far away.

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
There is nothing like old school road kill skunk that I’m aware of, and my eyes are wide open for it!
So if anyone ever does come across any, please let me know!
(I’d be all about it!!)
I distinctly remember the almost neon quality to the green and orange on the bud. The stuff we got was the first sticky-bud I saw where you could squish a bud and it didn't crumble. I also remember a pine scent that was there with the distinct skunk smell.

miss that lime green bud