Real Science with Dr. Bruce Bugby

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's a little nugget about the cover crops in pots vs beds. They are shaded like a mofo. I think that might be another reason I haven't seen a lot of heavy rooting from the weeds. I have actually let the crop go under a few tall plants to see what happens. I think that certain types in the mixed covercrop seeds do well in shade and others die off.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
You know all and all, this forum has a shitload of knowledgeable growers on these subjects and we are allowed to disagree with one another. That's how we find out the best methods for producing quality cannabis whether it's salts or organics in the mix. But please stop adding "grannys crotch" in the discussion. That's a little too much information. Hahaha!

m4s73r

The Laziest
Here's a little nugget about the cover crops in pots vs beds. They are shaded like a mofo. I think that might be another reason I haven't seen a lot of heavy rooting from the weeds. I have actually let the crop go under a few tall plants to see what happens. I think that certain types in the mixed covercrop seeds do well in shade and others die off.
Oh yeah for sure. I know in my beds that If i dont defoliate to let some light in all of my clover will die in like 10 days.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I much prefer learning about agronomy from scientists than gro bros...
FWIW I have a Bachelor of Science in education. All that got me really was a very insightful opinion on how academia works.

I worked as a teacher - in my job that wasn't in a teaching position. Tradesmen (for example) are teachers. The whole master/apprentice thing has taught more people more useful information than any college. Any good manager is a teacher, so the next guy can take your job and not fuck it up and make you look bad when you're the new boss.

There is some truth to the fact that those who can't teach, but only in academia. The most tenured teachers in any arts degree have rarely had an actual job other than being in a classroom, eventually shifting to the other side of the desk. Those people know the books front and back and can say all the words. But if you put them in a job that required them to perform they would fail miserably.

In the science degrees there are practical learning and exam systems, nurses doing classroom hours in the ER for example.

As far as university research, all the federally funded stuff is mainly people floating bullshit ideas to try and get grant, and a hook for a masters thesis. Most of this stuff is pure science but achieves nothing but a proposal for a new grant. There is still no federally funded cannabis research.

You may notice that sponsors are involved :unsure: 🤷‍♂️:sneaky:.

R&D funded by a major corporation or association is going to be driven by producing what the funder is looking for - which may or may not be what you and I care about. A scientist given free lights to test might not exactly be an unbiased reviewer - regardless of that they think they are doing.

Corporate R&D in cannabis would inevitably bring us nothing but Blue Dream and Bug Bud. "You don't get as high? Who cares? There's PLENTY!!!" :LOL:

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
FWIW I have a Bachelor of Science in education. All that got me really was a very insightful opinion on how academia works.

I worked as a teacher - in my job that wasn't in a teaching position. Tradesmen (for example) are teachers. The whole master/apprentice thing has taught more people more useful information than any college. Any good manager is a teacher, so the next guy can take your job and not fuck it up and make you look bad when you're the new boss.

There is some truth to the fact that those who can't teach, but only in academia. The most tenured teachers in any arts degree have rarely had an actual job other than being in a classroom, eventually shifting to the other side of the desk. Those people know the books front and back and can say all the words. But if you put them in a job that required them to perform they would fail miserably.

In the science degrees there are practical learning and exam systems, nurses doing classroom hours in the ER for example.

As far as university research, all the federally funded stuff is mainly people floating bullshit ideas to try and get grant, and a hook for a masters thesis. Most of this stuff is pure science but achieves nothing but a proposal for a new grant. There is still no federally funded cannabis research.

You may notice that sponsors are involved :unsure: 🤷‍♂️:sneaky:.

R&D funded by a major corporation or association is going to be driven by producing what the funder is looking for - which may or may not be what you and I care about. A scientist given free lights to test might not exactly be an unbiased reviewer - regardless of that they think they are doing.

Corporate R&D in cannabis would inevitably bring us nothing but Blue Dream and Bug Bud. "You don't get as high? Who cares? There's PLENTY!!!" :LOL:
I couldn't agree more- but in the discussion and debate real science still gets done and the state of the art still moves forward. And that's well worth supporting.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I couldn't agree more- but in the discussion and debate real science still gets done and the state of the art still moves forward. And that's well worth supporting.
To be clear, corporate funded research is biased as hell, but it gets results.

As a consumer, my dollar supports which companies I think spend that money well - Capitalism.

If I think a company is has stupid ideas and/or makes shitty products they get none of my money to do research.

That is how it should work, instead of R&D being driven by social media - that costs nothing and is full of AI trolls and bots. Eventually capitalism should get past companies producing something then trying to make us think we want it.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
You can't teach the knowledge and wisdom of actual "hands on" experience in any trade.
Helps sort out all the BS from fake farmers peddling their wares along with the so called "educators" on these forums.
Let "common sense" be your guide and never listen to the "parrot talkers".
I stick to what I know works.
The so-called science hasn't quite caught up to the farming practices of our ancestors yet.
I like Bruce, he's knowledgeable in multiple Academias, especially LED lighting and
plant photosynthesis and what he says makes a lot of sense to me.
But it's up to the individual to decide whether it makes sense or not.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I like Bruce, he's knowledgeable in multiple Academias, especially LED lighting and
plant photosynthesis and what he says makes a lot of sense to me.
But it's up to the individual to decide whether it makes sense or not.
My main issue with him (and others) is that they love to speak with authority and confidence - to the point that they state conjecture or their pet theory as proven fact. When I see a Brady Bunch size panel of PhD's on an FCP podcast having a discussion about some plant science or another, and there is the one or two actual growers in the group, the actual growers are the ones that can translate the science (or portions of it) into reality.

Some actually call bullshit (politely) or ask pointed questions to draw out that something is a theory or just anecdotal evidence. But most of the time they all have their heads on auto-bob and nod yes to what eveyone else says. It's good to have a well calibrated bullshit detector.

My personal practice is along the lines of "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me". If my crap-radar is pinging I'll look into other sources of info. If a "professional" "doctor" "scientist" or whatever pulls the "my theory is fact" bullshit they no longer matter to me. Mr. GrowIt and his sponsors and frequent guests fall into that category.

When a lowly home grower like me can ask the easiest "yeah, but what if...?" question that blows their whole theory - they are not as smart as they pretend they are.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
In the example of the darkness before the harvest, there would need to be a minimum of 4 clones for a basic data set that comes nowhere close to being science.

One plant as a mom,
1 clone grown out to determine a good harvest window for future clones used in the experiment lets say it's a 70 day plant.
1 clone harvested at day 70, regular light cycle as a control.
1 clone put in the dark at day 68 and harvested at day 70

Actual science would require the same mom, but many clones in each category to get a good average.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's a good one for ya. There's a show with people doing Atlas seeds testers. The dude spent a bit talking about how he always bred things to be PM resistant. His "torture" to make sure his plants resisted PM was to have clover as a cover crop. Made a big deal out of it. One of the Dr's on the panel that happened to be one of those growers spoke up and let him know that they were two different species (or whatever) of mildew. The clover mildew won't effect cannabis... The subject changed rapidly. I watched one more show and the ass-hat was talking about "PM resistant" again.

He's selling seeds - I ain't buying.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Crazy ideas you have to jot down so you don't forget, episode 247...

The Big Bang. Listening to the Hitchhiker Guide series again on audiobook and there' a minor one-liner about the end of the universe just being a gnab gnib - which is big bang, backwards.

Now factor in some RSO dreams and some reality and I get an idea. If there is an explosion of any significant size that it forces matter out of the space it previously occupied, it will creat a vacuum. After a period of time determined by the size of the explosion and the mass expelled, things will rush back in to fill that vacuum. We learned this with nuclear blasts and shockwaves and such.

This is just one of those simple ideas that can topple a whole theory if you toss it around in your brain pan for a bit.

D

Deleted member 60

I much prefer learning about agronomy from scientists than gro bros...
There's good info on both sides of the coin, IMO. However...being an old fuck...I kinda cringe at some of the regurge I see from some of the guys in the black hats who act as if they were the first guys to plant this seed or who speak about the "history" (myth...LOL) of this character or that character from the past....a past they weren't around to experience. As I say...regurge...and sometimes not so informed regurge. Like any talking heads...too much talk...too little walk...and an audience willing to take it all to heart as "fact". Fuck me...just grow the goddamn plant.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
There's good info on both sides of the coin, IMO. However...being an old fuck...I kinda cringe at some of the regurge I see from some of the guys in the black hats who act as if they were the first guys to plant this seed or who speak about the "history" (myth...LOL) of this character or that character from the past....a past they weren't around to experience. As I say...regurge...and sometimes not so informed regurge. Like any talking heads...too much talk...too little walk...and an audience willing to take it all to heart as "fact". Fuck me...just grow the goddamn plant.
Exactly! It's a fucking weed, with benefits. lol
It will grow in a pile of rocks with water and Miracle Grow if that's all you got.
Once it gets a good foothold, it's hard to kill.

Glad you and the wife are doing well.
Sounds like you got a clean sprint to the finish line with the weather. I have no rain in sight for another 10 days myself, and it's suppose to be in the high 70's day and low 50's at night. Great harvest weather on the horizon.
I'm gonna ride it out another week or so before I chop.