Purple on top tips of plants in veg help

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
Given that the patterns of the discoloration are not expressing symmetrically or evenly distributed, I would hesitate to think it is a nutrient deficiency/toxicity, as they tend to manifest in a regular pattern (think Ca def. showing spots all over, or potassium def. leaving most leaf edges discolored). Boron deficiency can have similar symptoms, slightly yellowed new growth with interveinal discoloration (usually brown), and some malformation of the new growth.

Can you scope the leaves to see if the color is "growth" of mold on top of the leaf vs. discoloration within the tissue? If you've experienced a similar mold before, I would be inclined to think this may be a repeat performance without much more info.
2E13DB40-1D31-4B71-A9DC-D3733C05F456.jpeg5887D2C8-BD3B-47B1-9FF2-5CA1E9DF607E.jpeg47B29906-E843-4F2C-B59B-A8CA64A804AF.jpeg975E1EB1-A2C0-4990-B463-1A0AC1DA873C.jpeg78AD28EB-8F9C-4879-9A33-DB5D2A96767D.jpeg88351690-F752-4DA2-98DA-9F11CE0AC59F.jpeg9C3F8FF7-C194-4CD7-AC72-83B6041625C7.jpegEF6F06CB-A19B-4799-83E8-4EA2DDF6FF6C.jpegA80C35BE-F7D0-423D-A8FF-A300280B6B82.jpeg

Attachments

The close-ups do not seem to show a pathogen growing on the leaves, but discoloration within the plant tissue itself. Considering the possibilities:
  • Pathogen - while the dark colors express in a seemingly asymmetrical fashion (indicative of pathogen colonization), the scope pics show no external growth "on-top" of the plant tissue.
  • Immobile nutrient deficiency - Immobile nutrients (trace minerals) express deficiencies on new growth since the plant cannot mobilize the nutrient from somewhere else (hence immobile) like it can with Nitrogen (think yellowing lower leaves). Looking at the full plant pics, there does not seem to be any nutrient issues anywhere else on the plant (looks healthy). It would be peculiar (but not impossible) for you to experience such a specific deficiency without any accompanying problem.
  • Cold temps - The purpling associated with colder temperatures can express in the asymmetrical appearance of purpling.
Given that there appears to be no pathogen growing on the leaves, the lack of any accompanying nutrient issue, and the fact you've had temps dip into the 50s, it seems you may just have some purple from the lower temperature. If you really wanted to test out each of the 3 possibilities listed above, you could segregate your plants and treat each one assuming each issue. Ex.- one plant gets sprayed for pathogens, another gets treated as if nutrient issue, and another gets covered at night.

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
The close-ups do not seem to show a pathogen growing on the leaves, but discoloration within the plant tissue itself. Considering the possibilities:
  • Pathogen - while the dark colors express in a seemingly asymmetrical fashion (indicative of pathogen colonization), the scope pics show no external growth "on-top" of the plant tissue.
  • Immobile nutrient deficiency - Immobile nutrients (trace minerals) express deficiencies on new growth since the plant cannot mobilize the nutrient from somewhere else (hence immobile) like it can with Nitrogen (think yellowing lower leaves). Looking at the full plant pics, there does not seem to be any nutrient issues anywhere else on the plant (looks healthy). It would be peculiar (but not impossible) for you to experience such a specific deficiency without any accompanying problem.
  • Cold temps - The purpling associated with colder temperatures can express in the asymmetrical appearance of purpling.
Given that there appears to be no pathogen growing on the leaves, the lack of any accompanying nutrient issue, and the fact you've had temps dip into the 50s, it seems you may just have some purple from the lower temperature. If you really wanted to test out each of the 3 possibilities listed above, you could segregate your plants and treat each one assuming each issue. Ex.- one plant gets sprayed for pathogens, another gets treated as if nutrient issue, and another gets covered at night.
Genius thank u 🤗

Opie1

Master Grower

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
Hi Kev 👋

I initially was going to ask what your night time temps are, but as I continued reading I saw that it had already been addressed. When I grow in late fall/winter the night time temps can get pretty low. I've sometimes used those cold temps to bring out some coloring expressions. Here's a few examples of what it's done with one of my plants in the past.

G2FDay12.1.JPG

G2FDay19.8.JPG

G2FDay19.9.JPG

G2Day59.Gel.6.JPG

SCJedi

Synergist
Ironically I was just researching this today based on what was written to me in another forum regarding a discussion about phytoplasmas being transmitted via vector hopper insects.

That third pic certainly looks like it has hopper damage. They jump from an infected plant and re-infect others.
Unfortunately, if that is what it is, there is no cure.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
If it is hoppers, get you some insecticide to keep 'em away.
View attachment 16064
Hmmm I wonder why it isnt sold in some NY counties.
Either way I am having the same issue at an outie grow of mine with heisenbeans and seedsman seeds.

It so happens we are in thw same latitude so we experience similar temp and climate swings. I think it has to do with air flow personally. As a contributing factor anyways.
But more in the nature of mold or disease.

As previously stated I believe if it was a nute deficiency it would be symmetrical on similar sets of leaves. And also if caused by a pest it wouldnt be starting from the stoma and spreading out.
Its almost like its rotting fron the inside out amd spreading no less. Just my observation. Not saying your wrong.
Imidacloprid is the active ingredient. Ibdidnt google it yet but Im sure its potent stuff

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
Hmmm I wonder why it isnt sold in some NY counties.
Either way I am having the same issue at an outie grow of mine with heisenbeans and seedsman seeds.

It so happens we are in thw same latitude so we experience similar temp and climate swings. I think it has to do with air flow personally. As a contributing factor anyways.
But more in the nature of mold or disease.

As previously stated I believe if it was a nute deficiency it would be symmetrical on similar sets of leaves. And also if caused by a pest it wouldnt be starting from the stoma and spreading out.
Its almost like its rotting fron the inside out amd spreading no less. Just my observation. Not saying your wrong.
Imidacloprid is the active ingredient. Ibdidnt google it yet but Im sure its potent stuff
Seems as if all the surrounding vegetation is affected also idk maybe I’m high