Pro's not so pro grow.

Streetpro09

Tester
Good advice. They need nutes if just in pro-mix. For 3 gal pots, you want closer to 3quarts - 1 gallon of water + feed. Water/feed until runs off. Promix has excellent, if not the best, porosity so it'll be hard to over water.
I know pretty much jack shit about ppm, but from what I’ve read, 470 seems low. Maybe try upping that to 900 - 1000.
Oh, and I wouldn’t wait for them to dry out. Feed them now.
Thanks guys for the help! I will try this and see what happens.

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
Just got done feeding them. Each plant got 1/2 gallon of water with 975ppm of nutes and 6.55 ph. Got runoff from all three. Checked runoff ph and ppm. All three were pretty consistent. Ph was 6.04 and ppm was about 1400 give or take 50 ppm. I guess we'll see what they do in a few days?
I start seedlings in promix + ewc + perlite. 1st watering they get 1/4 strength nutes. Then 1/2 strength every watering. 1/2 doeses of calmag every watering too (2ml per gallon). This regimen seems to make them pretty happy early on.

Streetpro09

Tester
I start seedlings in promix + ewc + perlite. 1st watering they get 1/4 strength nutes. Then 1/2 strength every watering. 1/2 doeses of calmag every watering too (2ml per gallon). This regimen seems to make them pretty happy early on.
What do you think the ewc add to the mix? I only ask to see what kind balance of nutes I'm putting in vs what you're doing.

I would try your way but I'm trying to see what my buddies problem is with using this promix straight. We already use the same nutes. Hes hard to convince to do something different until you show him the results. So if this grow doesn't work out i might pick up a bag of ewc and perlite and see what's up. What ratio do you use?

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
1/3 part each of promix, ewc, and perlite.

ewc is a natural fertilizer and contains lots of minerals. it’s never “too hot” for seedlings. the extra perlite is just for aeration to balance out the ewc which can get too clumpy/wet by itself.

The ewc provides a basic, gentle feed. it’s rich in N so it’s good for seedlings and vegging. Some strains are ok with nothing but ewc for feed. Og’s/cookies genetics definitely seem hungrier, and they’ll start to show deficiencies very early on. This is why i just start with diluted nutes/calmag from the get go. For additional nutes, i use gentle, organic fish/seaweed based nutes. I swear by Neptune’s Harvest products for this.

I’ll usually feed 2-3 basic teas over a plant’s life. And usually 2-3 full strength Mega Crop feeds. I like to give the plants some nutritional variety. Neptune’s harvest every other watering usually at 1/2 strength.

I continue the same regimen through flower for the most part except I switch from the vegging neptunes harvest nutes to their Rose & Flower formula. I also have a salt based flowering P-K booster I use.

Last edited:

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
The promix/ewc/perlite is the base for both my starts and the bigger containers for flowering.

The difference is i also hand amend the “hot” soil (for flowering) as i call it.

amendments per cubic foot (7.5gallons):

2-4 cups azomite or glacial rock dust
1 cup espoma tomato tone
1 cup garden lime
3/4 cup alfalfa meal
3/4 cup kelp meal

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Just got done feeding them. Each plant got 1/2 gallon of water with 975ppm of nutes and 6.55 ph. Got runoff from all three. Checked runoff ph and ppm. All three were pretty consistent. Ph was 6.04 and ppm was about 1400 give or take 50 ppm. I guess we'll see what they do in a few days?
Did you add a Cal-Mag as well or is there already Cal-Mag in your feed?

Streetpro09

Tester
1/3 part each of promix, ewc, and perlite.

ewc is a natural fertilizer and contains lots of minerals. it’s never “too hot” for seedlings. the extra perlite is just for aeration to balance out the ewc which can get too clumpy/wet by itself.

The ewc provides a basic, gentle feed. it’s rich in N so it’s good for seedlings and vegging. Some strains are ok with nothing but ewc for feed. Og’s/cookies genetics definitely seem hungrier, and they’ll start to show deficiencies very early on. This is why i just start with diluted nutes/calmag from the get go. For additional nutes, i use gentle, organic fish/seaweed based nutes. I swear by Neptune’s Harvest products for this.

I’ll usually feed 2-3 basic teas over a plant’s life. And usually 2-3 full strength Mega Crop feeds. I like to give the plants some nutritional variety. Neptune’s harvest every other watering usually at 1/2 strength.

I continue the same regimen through flower for the most part except I switch from the vegging neptunes harvest nutes to their Rose & Flower formula. I also have a salt based flowering P-K booster I use.
The promix/ewc/perlite is the base for both my starts and the bigger containers for flowering.

The difference is i also hand amend the “hot” soil (for flowering) as i call it.

amendments per cubic foot (7.5gallons):

2-4 cups azomite or glacial rock dust
1 cup espoma tomato tone
1 cup garden lime
3/4 cup alfalfa meal
3/4 cup kelp meal
Thanks for the info. That's probably a little more than I care to get into right now. Your plants look so good though it'll be hard for me not to think about it for the future.

I definitely know my buddy won't do all that. It was a bear to get him to measure nutrients. Lol he'd just dump a little of this and a little of that and call it good.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
OK what would a full strength feed look like ppm wise? I originally fed them with 470ppm. Which is what I feed my dwc plants under the same light with no deficiencies.
In water, all those ppm are floating around waiting for the roots to snag them when they want. In dirt they have to work for it.

Not sure what you are using for nutes (didn't read back to see if you posted) but 450-500ppm is what my ammended RO water has in it. calmag, silica, etc. not food. If you had 150-250ppm of calmag, that doesn't leave much food in 470ppm.

FWIW I have run-off on the 2000-3000 range regularly (sometimes in the 4000s) but I am using a dry top-feed that is organic, so it's a little more forgiving than salt-based nutes.

If you are just shifting to soil forget the super-anal DWC ppm stuff - this is way easier. Watch the plants, and follow the directions on the nutes for ammount, not worrying about ppm. Somewhere between a quarter and a half of what is recommended is going to be safe without overfeeding. Mix it up, then see what ppm you get if you need a ballpark figure. It'll be different for every brand on what they recommend. It may take a few grows to get dialed in, but it's worth it to sort out what works for you with the stuff you are using.

Streetpro09

Tester
In water, all those ppm are floating around waiting for the roots to snag them when they want. In dirt they have to work for it.

Not sure what you are using for nutes (didn't read back to see if you posted) but 450-500ppm is what my ammended RO water has in it. calmag, silica, etc. not food. If you had 150-250ppm of calmag, that doesn't leave much food in 470ppm.

FWIW I have run-off on the 2000-3000 range regularly (sometimes in the 4000s) but I am using a dry top-feed that is organic, so it's a little more forgiving than salt-based nutes.

If you are just shifting to soil forget the super-anal DWC ppm stuff - this is way easier. Watch the plants, and follow the directions on the nutes for ammount, not worrying about ppm. Somewhere between a quarter and a half of what is recommended is going to be safe without overfeeding. Mix it up, then see what ppm you get if you need a ballpark figure. It'll be different for every brand on what they recommend. It may take a few grows to get dialed in, but it's worth it to sort out what works for you with the stuff you are using.
I'm just trying to help a friend to get a different perspective on what he's doing. I hate working with soil and not knowing what's going on in the pot. That's why I'm being kinda anal about it so I can understand with visual cues. From what you say though with guessing on nutes, he already does it that way. So idk what to do. It's like a science experiment at this point. I just don't know what his problem is. If it's the way he feeds or the lights he uses.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
How are these plants doing now?

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
I looked at them this morning and the spotting didn't look to be getting any worse. I guess I'll know more in a few days. Doesn't look like much new growth yet. Probably still developing roots would be my guess. How dry should I let these pots get before the next watering?
You want to let them dry out pretty good. Either lift the pot and it should be light, or stick your finger down in there, you don't want to feel any moisture really. Dry is dry.

In soil or similar, you need to let it dry out so the roots have to go "explore" for water. That's how I like to think about it.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I looked at them this morning and the spotting didn't look to be getting any worse. I guess I'll know more in a few days. Doesn't look like much new growth yet. Probably still developing roots would be my guess. How dry should I let these pots get before the next watering?
Yep, let em dry out like MtRainDog said. In my limited experience, Plants that size in 3 gallons of Promix can prolly go a week or more between waterings.

Streetpro09

Tester
You want to let them dry out pretty good. Either lift the pot and it should be light, or stick your finger down in there, you don't want to feel any moisture really. Dry is dry.

In soil or similar, you need to let it dry out so the roots have to go "explore" for water. That's how I like to think about it.
Yep, let em dry out like MtRainDog said. In my limited experience, Plants that size in 3 gallons of Promix can prolly go a week or more between waterings.
Thanks again guys. We'll see how they do in a few days.