Platinum Lemon Cherry Gelato Contest Shit Talk & Banter

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I'm just in the shoulder season here on both fronts. It's too warm to fire up the wood stove...and the girls are young enough I can't really get the lights crankin'. That dimmed LED was weaksauce for heat. Like a floating piece of ice...LOL. I'll have to check out what yer referencing...
The surface temperature of the heatsinks on my LED lights barely reach 100° when they are running at 100% power. They definitely don’t add much heat. I think my tents usually run 10°-15° above the room temp when the lights have been running for awhile.

D

Deleted member 2835

I have my leds at 100% they're 720 watts each and I barely have to use my air conditioner. My house is very well insulated so even in the dead of winter that son of a bitch still pops on here and there. During the summer my central air takes care of most of the extra heat.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
How well does lettuce do indoors? My wife always asks me to grow a ton of lettuce in the outdoor garden so I'm wondering if it's worth doing indoors over the winter.
I have a wire-rack shelf unit with six LED t-5's, two per shelf, that can be hooked up in series - one plug and timer with 6 (or more) lights. I grew lettuce all last winter and am getting ready to start again. Just good soil and water, then leftovers from watering the indoor garden. Getting ready to fire it up again.

Tips I picked up.
Do a rotation instead of trying to keep it around and trim off it. They start getting rough tasting like someone mentioned. Let them get the size of those 4-packs of "artizan lettuce" you see in the store then chop the thing and drop new seeds. Maybe softball size. rop seeds every week and once you get your first harvest and plant new seeds, that's your rotation. I kept 12 of those little window-box planters going that were small enough to fit on the shelves.

"heirloom" lettuce is hit and miss. Tasty but not usualy great for production.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The surface temperature of the heatsinks on my LED lights barely reach 100° when they are running at 100% power. They definitely don’t add much heat. I think my tents usually run 10°-15° above the room temp when the lights have been running for awhile.
The heatsinks aren't that hot but it's continuous. After removing mine from the tent and remotely wiring them from outside the tent I saw a 5 degree difference.

D

Deleted member 60

Thanks for the info guys. We'll see how it goes. My original plan was to use the LED's....and do my light cycles during/throughout the day...burning the stove all night. We have a peak usage rate I gotta avoid from 4pm-10pm or rates are crazy high to run such things. The HID's are more amps/more $$$ to run...but they will heat the entire garage for the $$$ outlay. Gonna run a dehuey as well cus I hate all that moisture in my garage. I'll probably drain it right back in the water barrel. I still have time to decide which way to go on lights though.

Of course...because we are rural...the garage, by mandatory requirements... is bigger than the house. :LOL: (900 vs 800 sq ft) It has 10-14 ft ceilings as well. A much harder space to heat, for sure. LOL...I really never built it thinking I'd grow in there. Woulda been a kick ass space back in the day...

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Thanks for the info guys. We'll see how it goes. My original plan was to use the LED's....and do my light cycles during/throughout the day...burning the stove all night. We have a peak usage rate I gotta avoid from 4pm-10pm or rates are crazy high to run such things. The HID's are more amps/more $$$ to run...but they will heat the entire garage for the $$$ outlay. Gonna run a dehuey as well cus I hate all that moisture in my garage. I'll probably drain it right back in the water barrel. I still have time to decide which way to go on lights though.

Of course...because we are rural...the garage, by mandatory requirements... is bigger than the house. :LOL: (900 vs 800 sq ft) It has 10-14 ft ceilings as well. A much harder space to heat, for sure. LOL...I really never built it thinking I'd grow in there. Woulda been a kick ass space back in the day...
The sand batteries can be made to run off of solar.
I'm not a solar guy but you can heat the batteries on the stove.

D

Deleted member 60

I run a few fans in my dome ala solar/MPPT/2- 100aH deep cell batteries. Panels are so cheap I ended up with 4 -100 watters. I read a bit about the sand batteries. Sounds progressive...like stuff America will never invest in. They are all over it in Scandinavia/Europe. Would be interesting to see how they charge sand with solar power. Interesting stuff.

Kushash

Insanely Active Member
You have carrots growing inside? Cool. Haven't seen that one yet. What kind are they?
That is a good question. I'm growing fingerling carrots from burbee. They are supposed to grow 3 1/2" and they hit the bottom of my 4" trays so I'm growing them in deeper trays. While the yield is small the flavor makes it impossible for me to stop growing them. I started a bunch of lettuce and carrots recently. The only veggies I have a full time supply of are radishes and string onions, both are easy to grow. I have some tomato plants not shown in the other pic. Roma, cherry, and 4th of July. The 4th of July are small but heat tolerant tomatoes from burpee and make a frozen Digiorno pizza taste like a genuine Tomato Pie that was made with Jersey tomatoes. I had to stop growing cucumber and peppers inside. I found out I am allergic to the pollen, luckily, I do not have that problem with tomato pollen. I have had an allergic reaction to cannabis pollen lol.

DSC02573.JPG