Megacrop thread

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Are any of you using the MC in a 'res'? and if you are, how are you keeping it from getting funky?

My normal 'res' practices which work perfectly well using Canna, didn't work with MC
What do you mead funky? I use it in a flood a drain. Just new to MC but it seems to be working. Im not sure if Im getting some fall out from the MC or its just Hydroton dust.

You getting some rot?

Sparrowhawk420

Insanely Active Member
What do you mead funky? I use it in a flood a drain. Just new to MC but it seems to be working. Im not sure if Im getting some fall out from the MC or its just Hydroton dust.

You getting some rot?
No rot, but gunk and slime forming on the bottom of the res....................I only run a small air pump in it to keep temps down and it gets topped up pretty much daily to try to keep it fresh. Looks like I'd have to drain and clean the res weekly if I wanted to run MC, where I only do it every 2-3 weeks ATM and that's usually for peace of mind rather than it being funky.

badmofo529

Insanely Active Member
No rot, but gunk and slime forming on the bottom of the res....................I only run a small air pump in it to keep temps down and it gets topped up pretty much daily to try to keep it fresh. Looks like I'd have to drain and clean the res weekly if I wanted to run MC, where I only do it every 2-3 weeks ATM and that's usually for peace of mind rather than it being funky.
Do you use any Bennie's or anything? Could probably try some southern ag fungicide and see if that fixes it.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Nothing gunky. Just a little particulate in the bottom. Im using hydroguard tea ATM.

SSGrower

Average Grower
Nothing gunky. Just a little particulate in the bottom. Im using hydroguard tea ATM.
I saw this when using MC, contacted greenleaf about it, they were not concerned and suggested mixing prior to use. They did not elaborate on what they thought was going on other than iirc a statment about undisolved solids. Now wether that results from a saturated solution or insoluble components? I suspect they are insoluble components because same thing happens as solution is diluted. I have seen an individual that uses mc and hpa, they use a micron level filter and dont seem to see this as much. I also think what you are seeing are binders and not plant food components, hence greenleafs lack of concern.

If inded it is indeed inert binders I do see a polsibility it would facilitate microbial growth, wether they are benes or not would depend on how they are inoculated. I would be curious what happens if you eliminate hydrogarud but will not ask you to do it, no reason if plants are healthy, some problems dont need solving.

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
if I premix or let sit overnight, even mixed, it kinda sinks to the bottom, quick shake and mixed right up. I do have to the hokey pokey and shake it all about if I mix and feed same time, the cal mag pellets take a tad more shakin than usual, lol. Why I started premixin. I do handwater. IMHO i think the airpump would fix any probs. Boy I sure like the stuff though, it has made a diff in my plants grown same way with other nutes. Simplified things and made em better at same time, can't beat that. Megacrop and URB, all i use, blackstrap/epsom additive all thru and voile'. I'd d a commercial if they'd let me.

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
There's organic and salts in MC. They told me the stuff that separates and falls to the bottom is the organic stuff. They said it's fine and just needs mixed or stirred. If that's happening to you in a hydro setup, I would look to add more circulation water or air, whatever is easiest.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I am getting gloup in my fittings a bit so i just wash them out better than i did before. I run an aquarium pump in the rez and UC root and i will put that up a bit as part of my weekly keep it from dying regime.

Other than that though. WOW does it work better than all of the other nutes i over thought and screwed up. No burning yet...TDS 1200 and its just working perfect (5grams/1gram of MC/BudExplosion per gallon).

I might have found the 1 nute to rule them all (For me at least). I can deal with gloupy crap.

I am leaving it there until i back it down at the end of flower. Lets see what happens. I might have added that bud explosion too early but we will see.

DSCF1219.JPG

Mr Blamo

Old Timer
I find the bud explosion not mixing up well meaning I see it at the botton of the little dish I use to pre mix it before I add to my water.
The cal mag I leave it sit for a few minutes in my small dish...it breaks down and mixes.
Same with the MC...most dissolves right away but the cal mag in it needs a minute or 2 to dissolve before I stir it and add it to my water.

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
I find the bud explosion not mixing up well meaning I see it at the botton of the little dish I use to pre mix it before I add to my water.
The cal mag I leave it sit for a few minutes in my small dish...it breaks down and mixes.
Same with the MC...most dissolves right away but the cal mag in it needs a minute or 2 to dissolve before I stir it and add it to my water.
I've noticed a lot of people state how easy the BE dissolves. It's been the opposite for me, breaks down slow. I actually use a 1" piece of pvc to stir my nutes and I end up trying to crush the BE too get it to dissolve, lol.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I fill up 5 gallon water bottles because it is the easiest to move around the RO water from the machine. OR the water store.

I mix the stuff in the bottle and shake it. Then i leave it and shake it again probably 2 more times. Then it goes in the rez and i turn the aquarium pump on (usually its a timer 15 minutes every 2 hours to stir it up).

After about 5 minutes of doing something else i do my PH and TDS readings and see whats going on.

Those pellets are brutal to dissolve but they do.

I was thinking too if i am measuring such a small amount (22 grams) how can you be sure you are getting a decent mix of the various minerals/nutes?

Can you mix it with water and have it not go weird over time? Like concentrated liquid MC

If i mixed 200 grams at a time MC would be more stable with regard to % of N P K Mag Calcium etc.. But that would take me about 3 to 4 weeks to consume at the present rate.

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
I have a stock solution mixed that's been sitting in a mason jar since January. No mold, it was the original formula and I switched to the new stuff right after that. But I decided to leave it and see how long it lasts. I'll report if I ever find mold in there.

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
Are any of you using the MC in a 'res'? and if you are, how are you keeping it from getting funky?

My normal 'res' practices which work perfectly well using Canna, didn't work with MC
My res doesn't get funky with MC.Maybe a little bit of residue at the water line,easily wipes off.
A funky res seems to be something organic getting in there and or going anaerobic.

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
Before the thread got nuked at riu, I saw a few people mixing up a concentrated stock solution without any issues.

I do that with any dry fertilizer.
I just got done mixing 11 lbs of mc in one 5 gal tote and the other 11 lbs in another 5 gal tote. Using around 18 ml per gal.

I don't think I've ever mixed up any dry nutrients before of any kind and every last grain dissolved.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
My res doesn't get funky with MC.Maybe a little bit of residue at the water line,easily wipes off.
A funky res seems to be something organic getting in there and or going anaerobic.
I will use better cleaning products after this round. I think it was something residual in an autopot float valve. So next time I am using some 29% h202 and clean it well.

Always something to do. :D