Megacrop thread

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
Someone try to talk me away from Jacks 3-2-1 please. I just mixed up a batch at 75% and something went completely sideways. I fried the fuck out of four new Archive cuts I have and I am beside myself.

While that alone is not enough of a reason to switch I am looking for something dry that is a mix-n-go. Caveat is that I make 25g at a time and this has to sit as it is gravity fed via Blumats. If MC cannot handle sitting without getting funky then I will shut up and move along
MC doesn't get funky in my res.My main res is gravity fed with a float by my mixing res that sits on top.Granted its only 2x17 gal tuff totes stacked.I think it's the concentrated solutions some were speaking of that has some issues.

Last edited:

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
What have you been hearing about their nutes? Looks like base then veg boom?
I’ve heard their nutes mentioned, but I don’t remember if it was in a positive light or negative, just know the name sounds familiar.
It would be interesting to try, no P or K at all until flower it looks like. I’ve never ran a veg formula without any p or k at all. Unless it’s an a and b nutrient that you just use small dose of b during veg, then crank it up for flower.

Punisher84

Just some asshole
I’ve heard their nutes mentioned, but I don’t remember if it was in a positive light or negative, just know the name sounds familiar.
It would be interesting to try, no P or K at all until flower it looks like. I’ve never ran a veg formula without any p or k at all. Unless it’s an a and b nutrient that you just use small dose of b during veg, then crank it up for flower.
I just want a veg mix and a flower mix. That doesn’t require a science experiment. Adjust your ppm and go. Maybe @socaljoe will chime in with some masterblend love? Then they all need calmag it seems.

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
Someone try to talk me away from Jacks 3-2-1 please. I just mixed up a batch at 75% and something went completely sideways. I fried the fuck out of four new Archive cuts I have and I am beside myself.

While that alone is not enough of a reason to switch I am looking for something dry that is a mix-n-go. Caveat is that I make 25g at a time and this has to sit as it is gravity fed via Blumats. If MC cannot handle sitting without getting funky then I will shut up and move along
it was jacks you had that issue with? Do you think it was the food, or are you saying you had other issues and youre almost out of jacks and possibly considering something else?

I switched my main tent over to MC and haven’t had any issues with gunk or mixing. I’m now filling a 20g res at 4g/gallon, with RO water and I add 150ppm worth of Calimagic before mixing in MC. I take a large glass of RO water, heat it up to where it burns to put your finger in it, and then mix up 80g of MC in the hot water. Once all the powder is mixed in, then immediately mix the hot water/mc solution into my Rez with the calmag’d water, and I’m good. I keep two air stones constantly pushing air through it, no chiller or heater. I feed DTW with coco, and fill up a compression sprayer From my Rez, so it may be different with a hydro system, I’m not sure. It mixes to 5.9ph usually right on the nose, and it has always stayed stable there, at the most it might drift To 6.2 or 6.3 if it sits long enough, but I’m feeding twice a day now with 6 plants, so 20 gallons lasts me about 5 or 6 days, so that may be why I’m not having the issues other have with ph drifting or nutrients falling out of solution. Also, I’m using the newest formula, FWIW. I am going to run their new sweet candy during flower as a pk booster, as they changed the formula to where instead of being 0-0-16, it’s now 0-17-28, and I am a bit worried that I may have issues once I start adding in the sweet candy. If I do, I’ve also got Bud Explosion on hand.

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
I just want a veg mix and a flower mix. That doesn’t require a science experiment. Adjust your ppm and go. Maybe @socaljoe will chime in with some masterblend love? Then they all need calmag it seems.
I know quite a few people who run one nutrient from seed to harvest. A friend of mine uses Dynagro Grow from seed to harvest with tap water, and no calmag. I’ve got friends that run GH Maxigro from seed to harvest, not sure if they’re using calmag or not. Before my tap water started fluctuating all the time, I rarely needed calmag, and almost guarantee I could have ran MC without any. I grow in coco, under QBs, with RO water now though so I always calmag to ~150ppm before adding nutes. I’ve read of people running straight MC from seed to harvest, but it’s a little too much N for me, so I’ll lower my MC dose and replace it with a little PK booster for bloom.

For simplicity sake, there’s a soil out there my neighbor uses that I believe is called Great Lakes or something along those lines, and he only feeds water from seed to harvest, no amendments or anything, his flower is pretty damn good. I’ll have to see if I can get a picture next time he shares, I usually try to get inside before he comes out, he’s one of those old men that just lives in nothing but a bathrobe and whitey-tideys, which sometimes makes for awkward smoke sessions.

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
@Cob_nUt what did you think of the current pricing at Jacks.

I just bought a 25 lb bag of their reverse osmosis bag and it was $83 including the shipping and taxes.

Ive never ever had any of the issues with jacks, masterblend, canna flakes, ultrasol hell even miracle grow like what happens with mega.
In the past for an experiment i tried dissolving some fertz i got out of box at walmart thats meant to be spread over the ground. Its a cheaper product than water soluable fertz and it also would not dissolve all the way like the mega. But its not meant for being dissolved in water but a time release fertilizer in the dirt.

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN

Need to use a ppm pen every time if your mixing dry.

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
I was able to compare what I received from GLN when I ordered their new formulation of Sweet Candy to a buddy of mines Sweet Candy he ordered a couple of months ago, they definitely look different.

it’s strange to me how so many people have issues with MC mixing. Granted I’m on v3,but the only thing I can think of is that I go through a 20 gal res in about 5 days,so that may be part of it, but I’ve never had anything fall out of solution mixing it with hot water and then pouring the hot concentrated solution into my Rez. I always assumed the air pumps is what made a difference, but I’ve seen other people say they have issues even with an air pump. I did read somewhere online that if you’ve got something heating your reservoir, the heater can cause it to fall out of solution, so I’ve avoided using one. I always just heat my RO to room temp, before mixing, and the temps in my house keeps the water where I like it. I wonder if maybe I got a bag that was missing something that’s usually in it 🤷‍♂️

My top off tank is 60 gal and i go through that depending on where i have the dehumidifiers and what stage plants are in in about 2- 3 days. My system holds over 200 gal not including my top off tank.

I mix the 22.5lb bags in 10 gal of hot water and place into 5 gal jugs with spigots. I shake the holy shit out of the jugs every day for 2 months and they never dissolve.

When mixing i add 1200 ML of that concentrat solution to the 60 gal container and have a pump i run circulating the particles to try and help them dissolve.

This is just my flower side. I got another system i run seperately for veg

Last edited:

socaljoe

Cocaine Cowboy
To move from veg to flower, I just adjusted the amount of calcium nitrate I used, eventually down to zero.

I don't use cal-mag with Masterblend, it already has both calcium and magnesium supplied in the formula by calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate. Although I did have to give my voracious BW plants some additional calcium.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Tomorrow i will mix some fresh MC and see how the new batch works in a bottle. I think it is version 3.

In coco it is working great. I will identify a plant and run MC V 3 with bud explosion later in flower to see how it works. Only 560 botttles worth remain....(5 gallon bottles of 700TDS nute). I remember when that was forevers worth but that will last me about 1 year :D Wow that is probably where the 70% RH comes from eh . lol

I will coco pot it forever if i have to :D

Mine only gets a funk when its mixed in 5 gallons of RO with the lid on for a few days. Sometimes i mix up 2 or 3 of the 5 gallon jugs at once so i can just feed for a couple of days.

The new version doesnt smell so much like ass.

Cooler res temps will probably fix my problem with it. Time to figure out how to pump flood and drain water from a rez in a cooler room to the flood and drains ;) or something like that. Oh the thinks i will think.

The AN trio though doesnt go funky. Same temps. I dont adjust PH for 2 weeks its probably ridiculous but the shit keeps on trucking. I change out the rez every 3 weeks and just keep topping up with 700 TDS.

I like that.

Last edited:

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
This morning i put a pound or so MC V 3 into an iced tea jug and filled it up with hot RO Water.

This version stays in suspension MUCH better than version 1. It is still homogenous in the bottle and i made it 2 hours ago.
1ml = 30TDS is what it worked out to. And the smell is really pleasant compared to the last batch.

I feel a lot better about having a giant sack of it now. I started a bubble bucket with a dubstep this morning running just MC. Let see what happens.

I have upped my game with VPD and understand problems better. I will start with perxoide but as soon as i find where i put that pool shock i will make a dilution of that too.

I bet its a lot easier to use than peroxide. One time it looked like i had a skin condition. That shit burns hard core.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I never get that far...a few seconds on the back of your hand and you will wash it off :)

What i dont get is.....the stuff is unstable.....so it evaporates and breaks off the extra hydrogen molecule to become water....Its why you add it every 3 days.

So why the hell do you pick that jug up a week later and burn your hands from the shit that WAS on it.

:D

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
I’m anywhere from a few days to a week away from wrapping up my first veg cycle (6 weeks) with Megacrop, and I have to say, I’ve been pretty impressed with it so far. Using water with an EC of 0.28 I’m currently at 4g/gal of MC and 1g/gal of epsom salt, now feeding twice a day to 10% runoff. The epsom is added in because I had mag deficiencies earlier in veg, which went away after adding the epsom. It’s been creeping back up, so i think I am going to up the epsom to 1.5g/gal for the rest of veg and see if that gets rid of it before flipping. I plan on bumping up the MC to 5g/gal once I flip, but where I would like to hear everyone’s advice, is on what to do with my base dosage as I add my PK booster (I’ll be using GLN’s new Sweet Candy, NPK of 0-17-28, unless it causes issues in my res then I would be using Bud Explosion in it’s place. I’ve seen pretty mixed opinions, some saying to lower the MC dosage as you increase your PK, meaning I’d drop to 4g of MC when I start adding in 1g of Sweet Candy. I plan on raising the PK gradually to 2g/gallon unless I start to see issues, meaning I’d be at 3g/gal of MC and 2g of SC from week 5-8. The other school of thought is to leave the MC at 5g/gal and just add in PK to that as I progress through Bloom. I’m not sure of the ppm of the new Sweet Candy, but I will find that out for sure before I start using it. With my water, 5g/gal of MC, and 1g of epsom, my PPM comes out to about 890, or an EC of 1.78. I am leaning towards dropping the MC as I increase the PK for two reasons, one being the high nitrogen levels and the other simply being I typically don’t go over ~800 ppm.

What do you guys think? I did see a post earlier where someone did a comparison where with one plant, they left the MC at 5g and raised the Bud Explosion to 1.5g, and another plant they lowered the MC to 3.5g with the 1.5 of Bud Explosion, and that user reported higher yields and more flavor with the lower dose of MC. I cant find the post now though and cant recall who it was that posted it. Have any of you had the same experience? What do you prefer to do, preferably those growing in coco under full-spectrum white LEDs, but still would love to hear from others as well.

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
I know quite a few people who run one nutrient from seed to harvest. A friend of mine uses Dynagro Grow from seed to harvest with tap water, and no calmag. I’ve got friends that run GH Maxigro from seed to harvest, not sure if they’re using calmag or not. Before my tap water started fluctuating all the time, I rarely needed calmag, and almost guarantee I could have ran MC without any. I grow in coco, under QBs, with RO water now though so I always calmag to ~150ppm before adding nutes. I’ve read of people running straight MC from seed to harvest, but it’s a little too much N for me, so I’ll lower my MC dose and replace it with a little PK booster for bloom.

For simplicity sake, there’s a soil out there my neighbor uses that I believe is called Great Lakes or something along those lines, and he only feeds water from seed to harvest, no amendments or anything, his flower is pretty damn good. I’ll have to see if I can get a picture next time he shares, I usually try to get inside before he comes out, he’s one of those old men that just lives in nothing but a bathrobe and whitey-tideys, which sometimes makes for awkward smoke sessions.

I had to use cal mag using maxigro. Ive pretty much had to use it with everything lol. Some plants are calmag whores. Especially when i switched to led.

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
Mixed up 20 gal worth of mega to go in my veg tonight. In my concentrated 5 gal tote the spigot stopped flowing almost immediately while trying to pour out 400 ml of mega. Then all of a sudden a splash in the water below.
Thats the funk the mega produces. When i got done their was a crap load of smaller pieces of funky nastiness floating around. Heck u can see some of em in the pic. Got 100x worse when i got done.

After a couple days the ph always starts rising from 5.7 and goes up and my dossier has to correct it. Use about a gal a month of ph down.

Ill dump it out in a week and start over. It does it every time. 20200123_171634.jpg

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
Did another rez change for veg and the ph continues to climb. My water out of the tap is 5.6 ph after mixing in the mega it stays around 5.6 but it wont stay for long. My auto ph dossier has been using a crap load of ph down. Decided to unplug the pump and see what happens.

Over 3 days it climbs up and defiencies show up.
And plants look like shit.

Did not wait around to see how high it would climb so i dumped the rez and filled it up again. Of course the sludge was all in it. 20200126_093102.jpg20200124_165016.jpg20200126_081008.jpg20200126_125829.jpg20200126_081039.jpg20200126_081030.jpg20200126_092430.jpg20200126_092458.jpg