Looking for Skunk seeds that actually smells like Skunk

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
That's just it - it wasn't rare. In a certain timeframe it was all over and it couldn't have been that hard to do because everyone had it.

Terroir. All encompassing including the soil, the environment, the local weather and the local microbe population. It was regional, and probably more available on the east coast. It was from the Appalacian mountain region including TN,KY, NC, VA and W.Va. As of today only one of those is a legal state, and it's only the very western part of VA that could be hiding the original amongst old growers. And them's hillbillies that don't associate with many people anyway.

Those illegal states that could be hiding it are likely hiding other things too. The west coast doesn't have a monopoly on weed, they just got to play with it legally before most of the country.
hell it grew all the way to the mississippi river!

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Out of the 6 that I had, there were three that had a skunky smell/ flavor. It is in there. Maybe keep the stinkers you find and BX them. Any luck finding a stinky male? The Tiresias Mist worked for me to reverse an LA Affie from CV but I didnt get any good pollen. IDK if it was just that plant but the pollen was gooey. I may have used too much. It reversed the whole plant. It doesn't seem to take much.
Yes, I had one male, but wasn't as strong as I had hoped for.
Running a few of these old seed at a time is not the right way to find these esters.

I need to run a 100 or more( 500) at one time to locate the higher ratio of esters.
That will never happen in my lifetime.
I tried to get help, but no one believes an old fella from Ohio, sitting on a garbage bag of old genetics, could possibly have some of the last Skunks on the planet.
So, here we are and no one but Blue Skies Vienna, boasts about having the old skunks.
Has anyone bought his seeds and grown them out?

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
Texas Shoreline x Headband (n.f.i.)
Been snatching up Shorelines where ever I can find 'em. Love the headband terps seems to lean more OG but gassy funk. Just picked up crickets and cicadas shoreline puck, greenpoint shoreline stardawg and katsus cactus cakes. So far the csi trinity zkittlez has been hard to beat and west coast dog were all 🔥 Also in the mix is 707s sfv

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Been snatching up Shorelines where ever I can find 'em. Love the headband terps seems to lean more OG but gassy funk. Just picked up crickets and cicadas shoreline puck, greenpoint shoreline stardawg and katsus cactus cakes. So far the csi trinity zkittlez has been hard to beat and west coast dog were all 🔥 Also in the mix is 707s sfv
I love the trinity x chem crosses I've dropped. Dogma from 707 and T-star from Top Dawg. It has piney nastiness to it instead of meaty LOL

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Running a few of these old seed at a time is not the right way to find these esters.

I need to run a 100 or more( 500) at one time to locate the higher ratio of esters.
I tried to get help, but no one believes an old fella from Ohio, sitting on a garbage bag of old genetics, could possibly have some of the last Skunks on the planet.
So, here we are and no one but Blue Skies Vienna, boasts about having the old skunks.
i might have heard mention of that bunch 1 or 2 times.

D

Deleted member 2835

You must have missed the memo but amazon is selling old school skunk seeds now...lol

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
You must have missed the memo but amazon is selling old school skunk seeds now...lol
What would actually be cool is if legit breeders could be so mainstream that Heisen or Humbolt CSI or whoever could use amazon as a storefront instead of a seedbank only cannabis people know about. Once people are buying papers or pipes or bongs or whatever the algorithm is gonna show them soil pots and nutes and seeds. Imagine the purchases from people that may never even get around to popping them, or want to collect the whole set from a certain breeder they found. Then the algorithm is gonna show them all the breeders. At some point it'll happen right?

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I walked into the room and smelled skunk, and it was from the ashtray :cool: Half a joint of the Headline from Skunktek that isn't a skunk, and is not skunky as flower. It actually smells like an old-school salisbury steak frozen dinner and it is one of my new fav's. Whatever resin was on the ring around it, or just the weed itself was spot-on for "is a skunk under my house" - for about 15-20 seconds until I got right beside the ashtray. Then it was more garlic and onions right off the roach.

It's Texas Shoreline x Headband (n.f.i.), I assume the cut was given to him as headband and that's that. Kept because it was good smoke. But the only thing in the cross associated with Skunk is the breeders handle :ROFLMAO:
Phylos called the growers samples nothing but a bunch of "mutts" or a soup with random ingredients tossed.
The phylos guy said Blue Skies Vienna had interesting genetics.
The one phylos guy was growing them out when he made the statement.
I wouldn't go and buy a bunch to find out. lol
I'll stick to mine. I know what's in them at least.
phylos has 25 fems for 155.00 of their seed. Good deal.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Phylos called the growers samples nothing but a bunch of "mutts" or a soup with random ingredients tossed.
The phylos guy said Blue Skies Vienna had interesting genetics.
The one phylos guy was growing them out when he made the statement.
I wouldn't go and buy a bunch to find out. lol
I'll stick to mine. I know what's in them at least.
phylos has 25 fems for 155.00 of their seed. Good deal.
From the stories I have heard, I wouldn't trust phylos for anything, and would never give them money. They are the definition of a Brad and Chad thing sliding in trying to get over on those stupid hippies.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I still think that most peoples best highs were probably those first ones when our tolerance was non-existent, and we got that first taste of real weed that didn't have lots of stems and seeds even if it wasn't compressed. For a particular generation who was school age in the late 70's/early 80's that first green bud we ever saw was green because it was local, and most local stuff on the east coast was skunky.

It was memorable as the first "WOW!" high, but that was an extremely low hurdle for most of us back then. As better weed became available the smell wasn't worth the jailtime. Most people ditched it not just because it was stinky, but because it was stinky and there was much better weed available. The OG's killed skunk.

The thing is, genetics don't disappear like that. There's still that combination of smells available in the plants we grow today. But it's just smells. Not highs for most of us. I would probably get a flashback/nostalgic buzz that would be really cool if I found that right weed - but I still don't think it would match most of the stuff that's lasted since then and stayed popular/available.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
All we really knew were local hype strains "within driving distance". lol
I'm old enough and from an area there were no strains. smell or color was the main descriptor. If it had really red hairs they would call it Panama Red. If it was closer to the brown-frown mexi-brick they would call it Colombian Gold. Who knows if it actually was. It was green or brown, compressed or not.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I'm old enough and from an area there were no strains. smell or color was the main descriptor. If it had really red hairs they would call it Panama Red. If it was closer to the brown-frown mexi-brick they would call it Colombian Gold. Who knows if it actually was. It was green or brown, compressed or not.
I never heard it called "brick" weed where I'm from.
Now we did use "pressed" weed term for Mexican.
The Columbian came in bales. The best quality was in the very centers. Gold,Red Bud, etc..
Everyone got which quality layer,
like those round bales in the hayfields setting out in the weather. lol
From what I was told by guy we dealt with.
I have smoked the "real deal" Gold in the 70's.
I loved the taste of good Columbian back then.
Where can you get good landrace seeds?
You're up on this stuff.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have smoked the "real deal" Gold in the 70's.
I loved the taste of good Columbian back then.
Where can you get good landrace seeds?
You're up on this stuff.
I'm not saying we didn't get some great weed. The good stuff was seasonal a not-quite-flood, then drought. Import was hit and miss for quality and it got better as you got older and met more people with better connections.

As far as "landrace" I know for shit LOL I think that there's an Indian Landrace Exchange that is trying to preserve (and sell) stuff. But I know true landrace stuff is like hunting bagseed. You have to wander through a forest of trash to find the right tree.

For the "Heirloom", "Old School", "Classic" - or whatever I think Kagyu at Coastal seeds has legit offerings. I already grew out some "Irene" Colombian and I think that's just a town down there. I have a Jalalabad Star x Colombian Red cross going down next month. He's the one in my price range but there's a few others.

I think that Mendo/Humbolt area has some of the breeders with the longest held legitimate cuts, and they all talk about Caleb at CSI Humbolt. His Pirates of the Emerald Triangle regular seed packs are mostly open-pollination seed preservations of classic old strains. He sells mostly fems, but usually includes a 5-pack of regs with any order. I've collected the Pakistani Chitral, Pine Tar Kush, Uzbekistani and Panama Red just off the top of my head. And multiples of a few. That assortment is gonna be a run soon too.

Back to the topic, I did get a girl out of the two Jane Doe Skunk from Top Dawg so I am sure I have the skunk going into flower right now and it'll be exactly like we all remember - wanna buy some? :rolleyes: 😂 😂

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I'm not saying we didn't get some great weed. The good stuff was seasonal a not-quite-flood, then drought. Import was hit and miss for quality and it got better as you got older and met more people with better connections.

As far as "landrace" I know for shit LOL I think that there's an Indian Landrace Exchange that is trying to preserve (and sell) stuff. But I know true landrace stuff is like hunting bagseed. You have to wander through a forest of trash to find the right tree.

For the "Heirloom", "Old School", "Classic" - or whatever I think Kagyu at Coastal seeds has legit offerings. I already grew out some "Irene" Colombian and I think that's just a town down there. I have a Jalalabad Star x Colombian Red cross going down next month. He's the one in my price range but there's a few others.

I think that Mendo/Humbolt area has some of the breeders with the longest held legitimate cuts, and they all talk about Caleb at CSI Humbolt. His Pirates of the Emerald Triangle regular seed packs are mostly open-pollination seed preservations of classic old strains. He sells mostly fems, but usually includes a 5-pack of regs with any order. I've collected the Pakistani Chitral, Pine Tar Kush, Uzbekistani and Panama Red just off the top of my head. And multiples of a few. That assortment is gonna be a run soon too.

Back to the topic, I did get a girl out of the two Jane Doe Skunk from Top Dawg so I am sure I have the skunk going into flower right now and it'll be exactly like we all remember - wanna buy some? :rolleyes: 😂 😂
Is she herm'd up with plenty seed? Lol
I'm after Columbian Gold seeds.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I never heard it called "brick" weed where I'm from.
Now we did use "pressed" weed term for Mexican.
When Nancy Rayguns was running the helicopter shows weed being compressed didn't mean it was bad - it meant it was shipped from elsewhere - that's all. If you were in an area where weed growing was not prominent you might get stuff grown two states over - but it was compressed to keep the random car stops from catching as much. You could also get nice fluffy Mexican bud if you new the right people. Or Colombian, Thai stick a few times.

But when there was none and you found the compressed brown weed from 'somewhere' you busted out the Houses of the Holy double album and let the seeds roll down into a frisbee, then you pinched everything you could off the stems.

phillthyrotten

Throbbing Member
How's it going People.... I'm new to the group but I'm an old time grower, still learning more every grow. I live in the San Joaquin Valley in CA and only grow outdoors, this last year was was probably the best I've had but I'm thinking next year will be even better. I'm trying to find Skunk seeds that smell like the herb I'd get in the 90's, My Buddy grew some supposed Skunk strain this year that was an absolute joke all the way around, potency, aroma and everything else. If You know where I can get some please let Me know. It seems like everything I've seen has had the smell bred out of it, I can understand it for certain situations but I'd like to come across some....
Thanks...
I have some old Sam the skunkman beans from the early 90's. I've had them in the fridge for 20+ years. I'm not sure if they'd germ. The last time I popped any of them was around 12 years ago. But they were still good back then.

You can have them if you promise to try and pop em. I'm pretty sure I'll never get around to it. I just have too much other stuff I want to run.