Looking for Skunk seeds that actually smells like Skunk

IWANNA

How's it going People.... I'm new to the group but I'm an old time grower, still learning more every grow. I live in the San Joaquin Valley in CA and only grow outdoors, this last year was was probably the best I've had but I'm thinking next year will be even better. I'm trying to find Skunk seeds that smell like the herb I'd get in the 90's, My Buddy grew some supposed Skunk strain this year that was an absolute joke all the way around, potency, aroma and everything else. If You know where I can get some please let Me know. It seems like everything I've seen has had the smell bred out of it, I can understand it for certain situations but I'd like to come across some....
Thanks...

bill203

The Amsterdam and Spanish seedbanks in general dont seem to have much old school stink to offer mostly sweet and abit musky.(n)
its a niche market for sure. Ugorg seeds are good if you like cheese and blues there as close to the old stinky skunk stuff that was popular over here in the past. I was listening to a couple episodes of the potcast on youtube and quite a few breeders seem to be working on lines to do with bringing back Roadkillskunk or something thats actually close. I think if the really nasty smelling stuff comes back it'll take awhile theirs just no demand for it really so thats gotta slow it down if theirs only a couple breeders really wanting it back.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I recently got some seeds to look through that I think will have some old school terps. I will keep you guys posted when I find a Skunky one. I have been looking for the skunk for a while myself. The GMO has a really foul smell whem trimming and has some of the skunk flavors with a nice cookie structure that is easy to trim. The thing with the old school skunks and Affie is the short dense bushy plants that are hard to keep from getting budrot and they are a nightmare to trim. That could also be a reason for them dissapearing. I have some 79 xmas tree bud from Useful he sent me from the Ndnguy preservation project. I had some nice uniform plants from those but had my first batch of rotten buds, it came on quick at the end of flower. These might also have some skunk/ pine tree type phenos. I think some of the old school genetics could be crossed with somthing like GMO and get things headed in a good direction. It could increase the skunky/pine tree terps with a better open structure. I guess I need to find a skunky male.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I recently got some seeds to look through that I think will have some old school terps. I will keep you guys posted when I find a Skunky one. I have been looking for the skunk for a while myself. The GMO has a really foul smell whem trimming and has some of the skunk flavors with a nice cookie structure that is easy to trim. The thing with the old school skunks and Affie is the short dense bushy plants that are hard to keep from getting budrot and they are a nightmare to trim. That could also be a reason for them dissapearing. I have some 79 xmas tree bud from Useful he sent me from the Ndnguy preservation project. I had some nice uniform plants from those but had my first batch of rotten buds, it came on quick at the end of flower. These might also have some skunk/ pine tree type phenos. I think some of the old school genetics could be crossed with somthing like GMO and get things headed in a good direction. It could increase the skunky/pine tree terps with a better open structure. I guess I need to find a skunky male.
most likely a stud farm is needed

Nothing, because I wouldn't believe you. If you had true skunk you'd be crazy not to work the line yourself or partner with someone reputable to have them work the line. There are big names in the industry trying to bring it back.
That's an honest answer, so thank you for that. I'm not interested in partners but I am working the heck out of it. The stock I got is from 1993 and about 5% will germ. I found a few keepers which I open pollinated. I'm now running 30 f2s to backcross with my stanky cut "the one to beat" in an attempt to increase the ratio of stinkers and focus on effects.
Easier said than done, believe me 😉

I'm also selfing the cut, hoping it's combining ability shines.
Also I'm not selling squat, just liked the skunk discussions and thought I'd join 😋

Last edited:

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
That's an honest answer, so thank you for that. I'm not interested in partners but I am working the heck out of it. The stock I got is from 1993 and about 5% will germ. I found a few keepers which I open pollinated. I'm now running 30 f2s to backcross with my stanky cut "the one to beat" in an attempt to increase the ratio of stinkers and focus on effects.

Also I'm not selling squat, just liked the skunk discussions and thought I'd join 😋
all i can say is lay in there on it ,till you get it right

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
There have been some recent studies saying that sulfur has something to do with the compounds that are the cause of the skunk smell.
things like this i like to know!

sound like some of the old seeds i have ,dont grem worth ashit but when the do ,they want their own space.i'am talkin wild grows,palnt walk off till august (cull males) then come back to chop(oct /nov)

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Nothing, because I wouldn't believe you. If you had true skunk you'd be crazy not to work the line yourself or partner with someone reputable to have them work the line. There are big names in the industry trying to bring it back.
It is pretty rare from what I've been told.
Everyone is doubted whether they have it or not so it's best just to sit back and wait.
I don't think it's sulphur and I don't think it's bacteria, but are a benefit to resin production.
It's more on the lines of "plant defense" creating these less known oil combinations maybe.
1-3% is maybe carrying the "quality" in today's world.
The branch you got, depends on what and how far back the "family tree".
After or before 1984?
But...
Say you take a close to pure Skunk and you breed it with something today, you diluted the future line.
Instead breed it back into its offspring over and over and you keep the future line.
The first thing someone does is breed it into the latest greatest clone of today.
Water it down, then mad cause no Skunk smell from the seed. lol