Looking for Skunk seeds that actually smells like Skunk

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
It is pretty rare from what I've been told.
Everyone is doubted whether they have it or not so it's best just to sit back and wait.
I don't think it's sulphur and I don't think it's bacteria, but are a benefit to resin production.
It's more on the lines of "plant defense" creating these less known oil combinations maybe.
1-3% is maybe carrying the "quality" in today's world.
The branch you got, depends on what and how far back the "family tree".
After or before 1984?
But...
Say you take a close to pure Skunk and you breed it with something today, you diluted the future line.
Instead breed it back into its offspring over and over and you keep the future line.
The first thing someone does is breed it into the latest greatest clone of today.
Water it down, then mad cause no Skunk smell from the seed. lol
hell even the old hemp in Ill.if you would walk enough you would find this plant we called gods sensi ,ass kicking pine smelling no seeds to speak of everything else was hemp. a old boy i worked told me about it ,being as i was from out of state he proved it to me!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Everyone is doubted whether they have it or not so it's best just to sit back and wait.
I don't think it's sulphur and I don't think it's bacteria, but are a benefit to resin production.
It's more on the lines of "plant defense" creating these less known oil combinations maybe.
That's just it - it wasn't rare. In a certain timeframe it was all over and it couldn't have been that hard to do because everyone had it.

Terroir. All encompassing including the soil, the environment, the local weather and the local microbe population. It was regional, and probably more available on the east coast. It was from the Appalacian mountain region including TN,KY, NC, VA and W.Va. As of today only one of those is a legal state, and it's only the very western part of VA that could be hiding the original amongst old growers. And them's hillbillies that don't associate with many people anyway.

Those illegal states that could be hiding it are likely hiding other things too. The west coast doesn't have a monopoly on weed, they just got to play with it legally before most of the country.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
That's an honest answer, so thank you for that. I'm not interested in partners but I am working the heck out of it. The stock I got is from 1993 and about 5% will germ. I found a few keepers which I open pollinated. I'm now running 30 f2s to backcross with my stanky cut "the one to beat" in an attempt to increase the ratio of stinkers and focus on effects.
Easier said than done, believe me 😉

I'm also selfing the cut, hoping it's combining ability shines.
Also I'm not selling squat, just liked the skunk discussions and thought I'd join 😋
hope the selfed line works, could save a lot of time.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
That's just it - it wasn't rare. In a certain timeframe it was all over and it couldn't have been that hard to do because everyone had it.

Terroir. All encompassing including the soil, the environment, the local weather and the local microbe population. It was regional, and probably more available on the east coast. It was from the Appalacian mountain region including TN,KY, NC, VA and W.Va. As of today only one of those is a legal state, and it's only the very western part of VA that could be hiding the original amongst old growers. And them's hillbillies that don't associate with many people anyway.

Those illegal states that could be hiding it are likely hiding other things too. The west coast doesn't have a monopoly on weed, they just got to play with it legally before most of the country.
that the truth there on first out of the gate.cops have cut down whole fields of hemp and claimed fame .

hope the selfed line works, could save a lot of time.
So far the cut seem to pass on the fatter leaves and the stink to its progeny.. with some variation, 1/20 being very close to what I want.

At worst, the s1 will still be one in twenty, and I'll have more seeds to hunt through.
At best, 50% will carry the trait, I'll be speechless and in the market for a bigger carbon filter. Haha

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Ohio has some nice strains.

I am one of those "hillbillies" you speak of. lol

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
When you have to drive up a road that switches back about 10 times as it climbs the mountain to your place it's hard for the man to sneak up on you for that raid - but the chances of bothering to go out for random bullshit is also slim.
Nice problem to have in my book.
I am one of those "hillbillies" you speak of. lol
that the truth there on first out of the gate.cops have cut down whole fields of hemp and claimed fame .
They grew it in far western ky back in the day, i dove in the area , smoked a bunch of local grown dead skunk weed! my wife has family in four states(ky.,va., tenn,ohio) in that area, i never smoked any from that area ,when up there on visits,family reunions and such, and i was lookin,!

Last edited:

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
When you have to drive up a road that switches back about 10 times as it climbs the mountain to your place it's hard for the man to sneak up on you for that raid - but the chances of bothering to go out for random bullshit is also slim.
not to say anything about the one's who start up and say fuck it near out of gas,and go back where they should be.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
How's it going People.... I'm new to the group but I'm an old time grower, still learning more every grow. I live in the San Joaquin Valley in CA and only grow outdoors, this last year was was probably the best I've had but I'm thinking next year will be even better. I'm trying to find Skunk seeds that smell like the herb I'd get in the 90's, My Buddy grew some supposed Skunk strain this year that was an absolute joke all the way around, potency, aroma and everything else. If You know where I can get some please let Me know. It seems like everything I've seen has had the smell bred out of it, I can understand it for certain situations but I'd like to come across some....
Thanks...
i have yet to find anything close.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
1-3% is maybe carrying the "quality" in today's world.
The branch you got, depends on what and how far back the "family tree".
After or before 1984?
But...
Say you take a close to pure Skunk and you breed it with something today, you diluted the future line.
Instead breed it back into its offspring over and over and you keep the future line.
The first thing someone does is breed it into the latest greatest clone of today.
Water it down, then mad cause no Skunk smell from the seed. lol
that has happened more times than all of us can count .