Let It Always Sow A Seed Of Memory

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
When you have some great genetics, it is only fair to set up a new journal. So for now I have 7 seedlings in a soil mix. 6 are granny skunk x mystery box. They are regs so I'll be watching for signs of sex in a month or so. They are testers sent to me by @SCJedi and are going to be updated in Jedi's Junkyard.

I also have 1 freebie White Widow going from my Seedman order. I took the advice of the people helping me and decided to pop one of those first so if it goes wrong I'm not too disappointed.

So all 7 germinated within 3 days. Most within 2. I had 2 hold outs that wanted to stay in the dark for an extra day. They are in solo cup sized pots I washed to re-use from previous gardening. They are under a 30W seedling LED and capped with clear solo cups to keep their humidity up in this fragile state. They are being lightly misted for watering until they develop a root system strong enough to handle a full tilt water.

A couple are still shedding their shells but pretty much all of them have their first set of true leaves as of this afternoon.

Attachments

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
Everyone is happy. Took their domes off. A couple have a bit of light lean so i re-arranged a bit to reduce that risk as well. I'll keep a watch to see if any more changes need to be made.

So all are showing true leaves now. Only one, one of the crosses, hadn't had them last night. A couple of those crosses have a very strong start going.

Attachments

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
Everyone seems happy and healthy. I can already see roots coming out of the bottom of the pots in 4 out of 7. I decided against watering them. Misting seems to be enough for now. The soil up top seems dry except for the area surrounding the stems and I really don't want to over-water them. I'm too paranoid about killing them now that they are here.

They seem a bit leggy but overall look good. They still have a bit of light lean so I'll have to figure out when i can get a new light for them. Not ready to put them in the big tent yet. The leggy ones are about an inch and a half high. I'm not sure if that is normal but they just seem tall. Some are only an inch or so. Maybe it is due to how high they were placed to the top of the pots when germinated.

Their color seems to be a nice green with some of the cotelydon leaves seeming to be a bit deeper of a green than the true leaves. A couple of the seedlings look to be developing a second set of leaves as well.

Attachments

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
Tonight was the night. For water anyway. I may have went a bit too light with it. Maybe a tablespoon per plant. I'm concerned i may accidentally over-water and as it is so cold outside I do not have a way to dry them out safely. The temp is 75°F in the seedling closet. The humidity is 48. That is RH by the way. They still seem happy and healthy. On a fun note, on the bottom of one I can see either 1 root that has turned into 3 or 3 roots intertwined into 1.

Attachments

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
So the babies are doing very well. Fixed the stretch by burying the excess stem. I did a foliar feed last night as well with a 25% strength Fox Farm Big Bloom and Sensi Cal-Mag Xtra.

A few are developing visible complex root systems as they secure themselves into the soil. They are even starting to develop their second set of nodes independent from the cotelydon leaves.

Attachments

yougrowyourway

illgrowmyway
Tonight was the night. For water anyway. I may have went a bit too light with it. Maybe a tablespoon per plant. I'm concerned i may accidentally over-water and as it is so cold outside I do not have a way to dry them out safely.
I know the fear. I just completed my first soil run with the BBC and most of my garden is now soil. I'm a hydro grower so this is really interesting for me. A tablespoon may be light but as long as you're their for when they need more you'll be fine. I water super light for the lil ones knowing I'll be there when they need me again. Just a splash on top until they start developing a better root system. Then I just flood the top soil until it fills to the lid (ipack my cups tight) then let it seep in. I'm interested to see if you notice a difference in your grow skills.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So the babies are doing very well. Fixed the stretch by burying the excess stem. I did a foliar feed last night as well with a 25% strength Fox Farm Big Bloom and Sensi Cal-Mag Xtra.

A few are developing visible complex root systems as they secure themselves into the soil. They are even starting to develop their second set of nodes independent from the cotelydon leaves.
I would reeeealy hesitate to feed them anything. If you use RO or distilled, a "standard" dose of calmag is good always (in my opinion) because it adds very little ppm and it replaces some goodies that were filtered out of the water. And adjust the pH every time - but they don't need any food.

There is enough in the cotyledon to feed them for weeks along with what's in the soil. For watering, dry soil is good unless the plants droop. There's more water in there than you know. When I water the small cups it's in the range of 10-20ml, and only around the outside edge of the cup to make the roots chase it.

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
I know the fear. I just completed my first soil run with the BBC and most of my garden is now soil. I'm a hydro grower so this is really interesting for me. A tablespoon may be light but as long as you're their for when they need more you'll be fine. I water super light for the lil ones knowing I'll be there when they need me again. Just a splash on top until they start developing a better root system. Then I just flood the top soil until it fills to the lid (ipack my cups tight) then let it seep in. I'm interested to see if you notice a difference in your grow skills.
My husband seems to think I'm there too much for them. Lol. I check my seedlings at least 4 times a day. My main momma I only check once during lights on so I'm not over interrupting her environment.

Last night i did a straight water on them. Enough to see a small amount of run-off. Most of them are showing complex roots through the drainage holes so i thought it seemed safe. I like your idea of filking the top of the cup for sure though.

I'm very curious to find out myself. I know much more than i did and I already feel a bit more natural with the seedlings. I'll keep trucking along and hope I don't kill anything. I have a feeling this is going to be a great run though.

Good luck with your soil grow. I've thought about DWC but I'd prefer to not fuck up a soil grow first. So you had always done hydro? God, i remember when hydro was just the term for beautiful buds because in our ignorance we thought that was the only way to get the frosty bugs.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
My husband seems to think I'm there too much for them. Lol. I check my seedlings at least 4 times a day. My main momma I only check once during lights on so I'm not over interrupting her environment.
Checking on them frequently is a great thing when they are little - actually doing something to them because you are bored is the issue. I keep mine on the dry side just because I can check on them often.

There are many more ways to kill a damp plant than a dry one, and I never look for runoff in a cup. As they get bigger I'll feed the 10-20ml every day and increase it if they are liking it, but just like with the pots, go by weight.

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
I would reeeealy hesitate to feed them anything. If you use RO or distilled, a "standard" dose of calmag is good always (in my opinion) because it adds very little ppm and it replaces some goodies that were filtered out of the water. And adjust the pH every time - but they don't need any food.

There is enough in the cotyledon to feed them for weeks along with what's in the soil. For watering, dry soil is good unless the plants droop. There's more water in there than you know. When I water the small cups it's in the range of 10-20ml, and only around the outside edge of the cup to make the roots chase it.
I am using distilled and due to my previous experience I am trying to prevent the deficiency in the first place. The food is technically the organic big bloom with bat guano and crab meal. My mix is inert so there are no additional nutes to over-do it with. I didn't put any in their water either. Just one light mist for each plant.

I like the idea of making the roots chase the water. I'm very easy on the water as well. Last night was the first real water and it is because they were getting droopy and kind of falling to the side.

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
Checking on them frequently is a great thing when they are little - actually doing something to them because you are bored is the issue. I keep mine on the dry side just because I can check on them often.

There are many more ways to kill a damp plant than a dry one, and I never look for runoff in a cup. As they get bigger I'll feed the 10-20ml every day and increase it if they are liking it, but just like with the pots, go by weight.
I tend to not touch them. I just look at them. He does enjoy making fun of my LED glasses though. It seems they are a bit large for a petite face. Lmao.

My run-off was literally a drop of water when the cup was turned. I definitely don't want to damp off disease them. Their grow area is nice and toasty so the teensy bit of water i gave them the other day was totally gone.