Let’s talk bubble hash

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I was never around any kind of hash culture.
If you got weed you smoked it. No one made hash from it, that's just crazy talk when you have a drought.
and I wasn't in an import area where you could get good hash.
But my quest for the best flower is the same as your quest for the best hash - I dig that.
I made a few hash balls from bubble, working it with the hot water bottle like Frenchy showed us.
In the end because I was never a hash smoker it was just a novelty. I did it a little but never got into smoking the product.
But the dry sift is something I can enjoy in everything, or can decarb it and go that route.
Just made this tonight.
From dry sift
1701851301292.png1701851354526.png
I could have screen vibrated it a couple more times.
No static tech,
Not bad for just a bowl , screen, and a 90's model "massager".

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Just made this tonight.
From dry sift
View attachment 132954View attachment 132955
I could have screen vibrated it a couple more times.
No static tech,
Not bad for just a bowl , screen, and a 90's model "massager".
I harvest from one to a few plants at a time, so I do small scale. I have a 1g paint bucket with a mesh basket to crumble the dry leaves through, then a 250m 6" flour sifter for a "work screen" to get most of the foliage out. This screen fits on the same plastic bucket. I also have a set of cheap plastic anti-static brushes that I use for almost everything. Once I crumble the leaves I'll use them to lightly brush the stuff around the screen.

After that it's a set of stainless screen stackable classification sifters that go from 160m, 120m, 95m, 75m, and 60m.

After a few years of turning the dry sift into a 5-minute chore I just use the 160 and 120 screens. What's crazy is that almost all the stuff that goes through the 160 also goes through the 120. It's like another work screen with the rest of the big veg matter stopping there.

I found that after the 120m it gets strain specific as to which size is best. Some have fat heads and some lots of tiny ones. But pretty much all the good stuff is below the 120 so that's where mine stops. Full spectrum I think they call it :sneaky:

Anyway, I also decided on the small 6" sifters because it's an easy alcohol cleanup without a lot of volume. The brushes clean with alcohol too.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I harvest from one to a few plants at a time, so I do small scale. I have a 1g paint bucket with a mesh basket to crumble the dry leaves through, then a 250m 6" flour sifter for a "work screen" to get most of the foliage out. This screen fits on the same plastic bucket. I also have a set of cheap plastic anti-static brushes that I use for almost everything. Once I crumble the leaves I'll use them to lightly brush the stuff around the screen.

After that it's a set of stainless screen stackable classification sifters that go from 160m, 120m, 95m, 75m, and 60m.

After a few years of turning the dry sift into a 5-minute chore I just use the 160 and 120 screens. What's crazy is that almost all the stuff that goes through the 160 also goes through the 120. It's like another work screen with the rest of the big veg matter stopping there.

I found that after the 120m it gets strain specific as to which size is best. Some have fat heads and some lots of tiny ones. But pretty much all the good stuff is below the 120 so that's where mine stops. Full spectrum I think they call it :sneaky:

Anyway, I also decided on the small 6" sifters because it's an easy alcohol cleanup without a lot of volume. The brushes clean with alcohol too.
I think I have a 120 micron screen.
I use an Al spaghetti strainer to grind the shake and bud up with. Refrigerate everything.

D

Deleted member 60

This was made for me 25+ years ago by the same friend who made my 5 gallon motorized tumbler. It's about 12" x 12" x 4" deep. 90 micron screen. And yeah...the mirror is cracked. Happened pretty early on. Likely just the unit expanding/contracting and the glue not doing the same... cus I've never dropped it/etc.
DSC_4130.JPG
Sift from 2 year old outdoor...Solfire "Funkdafied". I bought some 25 micron, 2" x 4" bags....so I think I'm gonna press it and see WTF happens.
DSC_4132.JPG

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
This was made for me 25+ years ago by the same friend who made my 5 gallon motorized tumbler. It's about 12" x 12" x 4" deep. 90 micron screen. And yeah...the mirror is cracked. Happened pretty early on. Likely just the unit expanding/contracting and the glue not doing the same... cus I've never dropped it/etc.
View attachment 132975
Sift from 2 year old outdoor...Solfire "Funkdafied". I bought some 25 micron, 2" x 4" bags....so I think I'm gonna press it and see WTF happens.
View attachment 132976
I just filled my water barrel back up. I have a fair amount of 1 to 2 year bud still hanging around and was planning on water hashing it..........then probably squeezing it.
What bag size do I want to squeeze bubble??

D

Deleted member 60

I just filled my water barrel back up. I have a fair amount of 1 to 2 year bud still hanging around and was planning on water hashing it..........then probably squeezing it.
What bag size do I want to squeeze bubble??
I saw 25 and 37 recommended quite a few places...so I bought 25's. Have yet to use em....but just sifted that pot 2 days ago so might use it to give it a try. My Dulytek press isn't adjustable in it's squish mode/pressure.....only the temp and duration of squish. It just goes full on....so we will see how it goes. Good material to practice on though, for sure. Gotta do some research on times/temps/etc. Should be interesting.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think I have a 120 micron screen.
I use an Al spaghetti strainer to grind the shake and bud up with. Refrigerate everything.
This shows the difference between my 160 and 120 sift after going through the flour sifter. I wish the pic showed it better but the leaves on the deep chunk had a purple hue, and the sift looks blue with the purple mixed in.
IMG_7716.JPG
But it definitely ain't clean. I can always re-sift it or static it, but this is good enough to toss on a bowl.
IMG_7720.JPG

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
and I just took back an ounce of Mountain Temple from the hash pile and am decarbing for some fresh Green Dragon. I got a 48 pack of 1 oz dropper bottles delivered today, and for fucks sake, they are empty :)

But not for long.........

Alcohol tincture lasts almost forever. I figure to fill 5.5 to 6 bottles by tomorrow. Then maybe grab another one out of the bag tomorrow. :D

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
This shows the difference between my 160 and 120 sift after going through the flour sifter. I wish the pic showed it better but the leaves on the deep chunk had a purple hue, and the sift looks blue with the purple mixed in.
To answer your question on my schedule, yeah between breeding and managing a licensed production lab (scheduling, METRC, quality control, HPLC, product development)
I regularly “work” 10 - 12 hours a day, but you do what you love, you never work a day in your life :) Did about 9 rounds of 2 minute shakes for a proof of concept. Our parent company has rigorous processes for product development, I have to start with very little investment. I used 30$ Amazon bubble bags and dry ice, attempting to swirl the material in the bag rather than shake it. I Took samples for hplc analysis right away, and put them in a vacuum oven overnight at 66 F. Pic is immediately after shaking ended.
I’m mixing most of this in for an infused pre roll, I set aside 15g to press some rosin for a small proof of concept there, and show them the 80%+ hash to rosin yield. On this day depending on micron size my yields were around 15-30% at 1-2 minute shakes.
DED3CFAA-8A0A-4ED5-BE93-735FF1ED8989.jpeg
^120 um - 120 seconds
Next I smashed up 160 g of flower and added 80g of hash back in. Took fifteen tiny 50mg samples from the bag for Hplc analysis. If all 15 samples are similar in cannabinoid%, I’ll know it’s homogenous.
3C5A5E23-6CF9-472A-8605-290CF9B53241.jpeg
To mix this, all I did was weigh the flower/hash and put them in this bag, froze it at -30C, then smashed the bag with a rubber mallet. This subtly powderizes the mix, but not too much. When you tap the bag you can see a decent amount of flower material and stems still intact. This will have to be sifted for its stems before getting into pre roll cones.
The next step is spinning the flower mixture into our cones on the KungTech centrifuge.
I’m using small 3mm Kevlar rods (like slightly thicker toothpicks) to create a gap of air in the cones, we can spin around 1000 cones at a time.
Next we will inject .1 to .2g of distillate/CDT terpenes into the cone. The cdt’s are same strain as the hash, which in this case is platinum jelly.
Collecting CDT’s is a process I’ve been working on for over a year, it involves a lot of thermodynamics.
I’m currently working on Live resin and Rosin carts as well. Looking at all kinds of ways to liquify and stabilize these matrices in cart form and plan experiments accordingly.
The goal is to put rosin or live resin in a cart while retaining its original flavor. I’m definitely excited to smoke these sometime this week.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@DET—PDX nice haul. I work at a way smaller scale, and my sift is only from leaves, an usually only from one plant. I keep each plants leaves separate until the flower is cured. I usually don't mess with it until the flower is cured and the leaves are rather crumbly. So I get more veg matter in the sift just because in the end I don't care. My end product doesn't need to be refined, and if it does I can always press it through a 20-ish micron bag and it's puro.

I primarily keep the dry sift around to smoke with the flower like a bowl-topper. If I have any left when I have moved on to trying the next harvest (monthly-ish) I dump it in a jar. After the jar gets full I decide what to do with it. I tend towards decarbing it so it's ready for edibles in whatever form or making RSO.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
From what I have read, the cartridges can be hit or miss with how well they are made and how safe they are. I think if I had to vape I would definitely choose rosin, but it's the actual devices that can cause health issues. If you are selling it I would check out that part, and then slam the advertisement with that fact as much as you do the quality rosin.

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
From what I have read, the cartridges can be hit or miss with how well they are made and how safe they are. I think if I had to vape I would definitely choose rosin, but it's the actual devices that can cause health issues. If you are selling it I would check out that part, and then slam the advertisement with that fact as much as you do the quality rosin.
That’s a really good idea and yeah I advocated for ceramic housing for the carts we’ll see what my director says about that.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
That’s a really good idea and yeah I advocated for ceramic housing for the carts we’ll see what my director says about that.
I think even then it's the sourcing of the ceramic since you are dealing with repeated high temps. There's some cheap-ass Chinese rigs that claim all the good stuff - ya know?