Is it possible.......

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
I have popped seeds that are well over 10 years old I don’t do anything special get a seedling tray fill with medium of choice and dampen it place seed in and wait a few days some seeds just don’t make it but if you can’t pop any you are doing it wrong grower error
It's quite simple. Maybe some just wont but if the cross was viable then they will pop. It's just never been a issue for me. I think the pre soak helps alot. In nature the heavy rains and warm soil are the catalysts for the seeds to germinate. The soak let's the shell know water is here and it is going to be available after I break out of the shell. It pops and the root grows down in search of that rain that just came and it does it alot faster than the plant grows upwards. A loose airy medium. Enough space for the tap to expand downwards and ofcourse that moist warmness we all like. Just keep the airflow cause mold likes it too.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I forgot to mention that the 24hr soak is in the dark. After that I just put them under 18/6 to give them their heat.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Day 3 and nothing yet....
If they don't pop in the next couple of days then I think you should try just floating them in a cup of warm water. If they don't pop in that then it sounds like you got old seeds. You could also try floating them in a cup of 3 parts warm water with 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide. I've used a 1 to 1 water to hydrogen peroxide mixture before and the embryo was completely out of the shell in less than 24 hours.

Banks358

If they don't pop in the next couple of days then I think you should try just floating them in a cup of warm water. If they don't pop in that then it sounds like you got old seeds. You could also try floating them in a cup of 3 parts warm water with 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide. I've used a 1 to 1 water to hydrogen peroxide mixture before and the embryo was completely out of the shell in less than 24 hours.
Thanks I have a few more seeds but dam don’t wanna keep wasting them

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Thanks I have a few more seeds but dam don’t wanna keep wasting them
The only way to pop them is to get them wet ;)

If you want to make sure your methods are fine, which they probably are, just see if you can get you hands on some bag seed or buy some inexpensive reg seeds from a reputable breeder. Maybe someone here could hook you up with some floor seeds or other not so special seeds to practice with?

Banks358

I kno it takes “time” but I only had the seeds for 2 Months idk how long ago they was harvested.... but I’m clueless.... I’ve only had 1 successful sprout of a root riot and I can’t get it to happen again... unless I’m not giving it enough time = patience

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
For the rooting sponges. The seeds need to be completely wet for a time to get germination started. After that, completely wet is not so good. That is why some people like to see the tap-root poking out first to see that germination has happened before putting them in a medium. Then going into a moist but squeezed out root sponge makes the roots look for water instead of drowning in it.

If you have a bunch of seeds, and just see a few roots after soaking, that's fine. They all should have had enough soaking if a few did.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's something else to consider - not everyone uses heat mats. I have used them on seedlings and not, and have had more issues when using them.

As long as your living environment is what humans usually prefer, and the seeds are in that environment, it should already be in the low 70's.
Your T5 over a closed dome is going to warm it up into the comfort zone for seeds.
Some people leave the light on 24/0 for warmth until seeds pop, then switch to 18/6 or so.

I only use the heat mat for soaking the seeds now. and I use 18/6 light for warmth as soon as I plant them. Keeps me from forgetting to shift the lights back, and they should only cool down to 72F at my house once they are dark. .

Banks358

Currently the t5 is in 24/0, the tent is in my basement and I can’t control the temp/rh.... on my gauge, the reading should be set on IN or OUT?

Banks358

Well the probe is inside the dome.... so is inside the temp/rh inside the dome and OUTSIDE is?!? Can’t be inside the tent Bc my tent is not 90f lol

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
I'm pretty sure OUT is for the probe. If you were using it to measure indoor & outdoor temps, the IN would be inside the house (i.e., the measurement comes from the thermometer unit itself) and you would run the probe outside (OUT) through a window/door/etc to measure outside temps.

Streetpro09

Tester
I'm pretty sure OUT is for the probe. If you were using it to measure indoor & outdoor temps, the IN would be inside the house (i.e., the measurement comes from the thermometer unit itself) and you would run the probe outside (OUT) through a window/door/etc to measure outside temps.
I was in the process of writing the same thing when you responded! Just gotta think it out sometimes. Lol