I build lights

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
cal /mag currently brewing,i like this light this is first run where I can see trics on the three finger leaves and buds are swelling faster than the lights i was running .you just helped me a lot.
Brewing? Cal-mag isn't a tea?

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I just read this whole thread and I really like what I see.

I was the silent co-founder of HLG, we parted ways on friendly terms about 4 years ago or so and they've really kicked ass.

For those interested, I have a thread going here;

Please stop by! I'm just getting things ramped up and there's gonna be some big plant craziness happening soon!

@TerpyTyrone we should have a serious conversation about a new light design I'm working on. If I'm wrong, it's just another dead end tech but if I'm right it will reduce the energy bills of commercial facilities by 2/3.

oldsilvertip

Really Active Member

I was the silent co-founder of HLG, we parted ways on friendly terms about 4 years ago or so and they've really kicked ass.

Please stop by! I'm just getting things ramped up and there's gonna be some big plant craziness happening soon!

@TerpyTyrone we should have a serious conversation about a new light design I'm working on. If I'm wrong, it's just another dead end tech but if I'm right it will reduce the energy bills of commercial facilities by 2/3.
i'd take those savings on my small bunch!

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Do you have a grow journal going? With bubbling im wondering if you are an organic grow? Good compost has plenty of mg. and if you are using tap water from a municipality it should have plenty of calcium in it for organics. (Hardness report from your state should tell you).
Not everyone's muni water is hard; mine is .05 EC out of the tap.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter

Thats incredible bro! We have to talk for sure!

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
i'd take those savings on my small bunch!
Nobody needs a jet engine on their ultralight; the tech I'm working on doesn't really make sense below a couple thousand square feet, special cases excepted. It's expensive to install and then there's a return on investment timeline. It isn't very portable but then greenhouses aren't either. That timeline is shorter than just swapping to LED lights, in part because my approach does away with most of the AC. The rest is energy savings. It should sell like hotcakes wherever power is expensive.

It will reduce the overall cost of indoor gardening to the point where many more kinds of fruit, flower, vegetable and herb crops become economically viable to grow indoors under a solid roof.

oldsilvertip

Really Active Member
Do you have a grow journal going? With bubbling im wondering if you are an organic grow? Good compost has plenty of mg. and if you are using tap water from a municipality it should have plenty of calcium in it for organics. (Hardness report from your state should tell you).
kool i'll check it out hard water for sure have to drain water heater every 6 months, water is calciaum iron rich.

m4s73r

The Laziest
kool i'll check it out hard water for sure have to drain water heater every 6 months, water is calciaum iron rich.
Well if its calcium iron rich, you may not even need cal/mag. Use some good compost for the mg and save that money on Cal/mag.

The vast majority of it. Another interesting fact is no iron, so it's great for breweries and distilleries. This helps explain why we've got so many of them here.
Yeah it does. See that adds a whole other layer to growing to consider when setting up even a home grow. i can see why hydroponics is so easy in that area if the water is that clean. Where as someone trying to do hydro in like the midwest USA would find that their water is higher in minerals. I have very hard water here. Caco3 is 225ppm. I also have iron, this is proly why you will see a rust crust on my beds.

1641078486285.png

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
PSA: Cal-mag IS MOSTLY NITROGEN.

Here's why; the only way to make calcium water soluble in a way that won't kill plants is as calcium NITRATE. Calcium also binds readily with sulphur so that's why you always mix calcium nitrate into solution separately from mag sulfate, aka epsom salt. When calcium and sulphur bind, they "flocculate" and become 98% water insoluble, fall to the bottom and remain unavailable to plants in your hydroponic system. That tan colored sandy shit at the bottom of your res is evidence you screwed up the mixing process.

So how do they get the mag in Cal-mag? Magnesium nitrate.

Soooooo... Calcium nitrate plus magnesium nitrate equals suddenly greener, healthier looking plants because of the nitrate.

Don't believe me? Look up nutrient deficiency pictures and see what calcium and magnesium deficiencies look like.

Thanks for coming to my Ty Talk!

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
@TerpyTyrone I am wondering if you have ever made some strip lights that are spectrum specific. I am in the market for a strip light that I can drop in between the light bars on my ChilLed lights. Mainly im looking for some added blue during veg and UVA during bloom.
Absolutely. Let me know the exact spectrums your looking for.

Here's why; the only way to make calcium water soluble in a way that won't kill plants is as calcium NITRATE. Calcium also binds readily with sulphur so that's why you always mix calcium nitrate into solution separately from mag sulfate, aka epsom salt. When calcium and sulphur bind, they "flocculate" and become 98% water insoluble, fall to the bottom and remain unavailable to plants in your hydroponic system. That tan colored sandy shit at the bottom of your res is evidence you screwed up the mixing process.

Soooooo... Calcium nitrate plus magnesium nitrate equals suddenly greener, healthier looking plants because of the nitrate.

Don't believe me? Look up nutrient deficiency pictures and see what calcium and magnesium deficiencies look like.

@Lanestrainley and I have been talking recently about such things

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails

And for organic growers worm castings are the bomb. The actual casing of each casting is a calcium based shell. So the elements you get from the castings are augmented by calcium in every little capsule.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter

So epsom salt is useless?