HydroRed's DIY Budget Flood and Drain (approx $40 total)

Gweedo

PICK YOUR OWN
And now the mini reds solo vegger this one is a 4 gal in a 7.5 also from wally with pump it runs about 29$ minus pots/cups holds 3 gals in the res and holds 11 solos perfectly but its cup specific i used dollar general ones they are a tad smaller than normal ones same pump as the other setup, been using a mac guyver version without the kit fittings and this is the kink free version😉😉😉20191003_145427.jpg20191003_145448.jpg20191003_150918.jpg20191003_151106.jpg20191003_151123.jpg20191003_151135.jpg20191003_145534.jpg20191003_145515.jpg

Texagonian

Outlaw
This system is the bees kneez! Barely any adjustments at all besides topping off once a week and keeping ph and ppm in an optimal range. Takes the scary out of hydroponic gardening for sure. It’s funny how all I ever used to hear is man it’s kinda tough! Sheeit, ain’t nothin but a thang! Thanks for the inspiration Red🙏🏻🍻

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
Just built this one today. Its a 16" x 14" x 12". The bottom tote is an 8 gal and the top tote is 4.5 gal.
Holds (4) 5" square pots comfortably. Nice and compact, perfect for the veg tent since there isnt much room available with the mommas in 5 gal hydro buckets.
fd 1 - Copy.png fd2 - Copy.png
This will work perfectly for holding 4 plants in veg while waiting to go into flower room. When they are ready, I just move the pots from this one to the larger F&D in the flower room. This makes seed hunting much easier & faster now as well as transplanting those seeds/cuts that make it to flower room.

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
Question. I have an old school tray(4x4 white) it has one hole in it. Can this tray be modified for F&D? Add another hole? Or are the F&D trays specific,and already have two holes?

Every tray I have(3)only has 1 hole. 2* 4x4s 1x 2x4. The trays are really old. I kinda want to try drilling another hole in one. Lol, I'm hesitant because I think it'll crack 'em. They aren't bad structurally,but they've been put thru their paces. They have to be 15+ years old.

Shit,I guess I should check to see if the F&D kits even fit in the original hole first! Lol.
Damn,I just hate to go drag it from the shed to my garage.

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
Question. I have an old school tray(4x4 white) it has one hole in it. Can this tray be modified for F&D? Add another hole? Or are the F&D trays specific,and already have two holes?

Every tray I have(3)only has 1 hole. 2* 4x4s 1x 2x4. The trays are really old. I kinda want to try drilling another hole in one. Lol, I'm hesitant because I think it'll crack 'em. They aren't bad structurally,but they've been put thru their paces. They have to be 15+ years old.

Shit,I guess I should check to see if the F&D kits even fit in the original hole first! Lol.
Damn,I just hate to go drag it from the shed to my garage.
I'd imagine it should work. Only difference really between an "authentic" flood tray is that the hole locations are usually recessed lower and the bottom has channels to allow total drainage to the hole once the pump kicks off.

Gweedo

PICK YOUR OWN
Any difference in performance with a total drain vs a bit left in the bottom, i was gonna ocd out on my new ones and sand 2 edges of the fitting to make it fit into the lower channel that goes around the bottom of the tote, but havent seen any ill results from anyones diy stuff so figured it wasnt necessary

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Any difference in performance with a total drain vs a bit left in the bottom, i was gonna ocd out on my new ones and sand 2 edges of the fitting to make it fit into the lower channel that goes around the bottom of the tote, but havent seen any ill results from anyones diy stuff so figured it wasnt necessary
Great question. I have just a bit of algae growth in the tray because of the light hitting the water but it seems to have dissipated now that the canopy is shielding it. Doesn't seem to be any slowing of growth or weird stuff going on.

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
Yea,these trays have a recessed holes,as well as channels. I'm gonna give it a shot at drilling it.
Running the bit in reverse may avoid cracking/chewing up the plastic. I think the ones with just one hole are for top feed setups. Just a plug hole to drain it.

I've wondered the same. Just my opinion I dont feel its necessary. I've still got algae in a "full drain" hydroponic store bought tray the same as I have in the $6 totes that puddle a little bit after draining. Over the years I've been running these DIY tote setups the plants have never displayed overwater issues either. If there is a difference between the two, it hasnt been large enough for me to notice it yet and spend $100 or more on a hydroponics tray.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
Running the bit in reverse may avoid cracking/chewing up the plastic. I think the ones with just one hole are for top feed setups. Just a plug hole to drain it.

I've wondered the same. Just my opinion I dont feel its necessary. I've still got algae in a "full drain" hydroponic store bought tray the same as I have in the $6 totes that puddle a little bit after draining. Over the years I've been running these DIY tote setups the plants have never displayed overwater issues either. If there is a difference between the two, it hasnt been large enough for me to notice it yet and spend $100 or more on a hydroponics tray.
I use to cover mine with plastic- poly white side up and it helps with algae and the roots would form a layer all over the bottom I guess from less evaporation, the nute solution would remain in the bottom between cycles.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Ill tell you all after the comp lol jk i just upped my fertigation to 6 times a day under the premise that no real dryout helps keep a nore stable ec, so the roots dont have to change what they are doing to makeup for the fluctuating ec could be bullshit lol bit it seems to be working pretty well
By upping fertigation do you mean by the frequency of the pump coming on? So if every 4 hours that's 6x per day? Do you use a res to top off or mix per tote?