Heisenbubbles Do it yourself RDWC build

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Thanks for sharing Heisen. I am having really good success with your bennie tea. My tap is 250 ppm so I need RO. The sterilizer is something I may try in the future. But right now I have two separate ROs for separate areas and so far so good. I will check into cost/time of sterilizer + UC Roots vs. bennie tea for my situation and see if it is better.
Appreciate you taking the time to make a video and share with us all. Good stuff man (y)

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Thanks for sharing Heisen. I am having really good success with your bennie tea. My tap is 250 ppm so I need RO. The sterilizer is something I may try in the future. But right now I have two separate ROs for separate areas and so far so good. I will check into cost/time of sterilizer + UC Roots vs. bennie tea for my situation and see if it is better.
Appreciate you taking the time to make a video and share with us all. Good stuff man (y)
The tea is great but the benefit of the uv was I eliminated the chiller. My water temp is 80 degrees.
Some people say DO increases with lower temp but honesty it really isn't that much. Healthy roots make up for it. I used the tea for years and always would end up with root issues week 5 of flower.
I got sick of making all that tea and storing it also.
This system is super simple and works good. Res change was perfect and super easy.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
The tea is great but the benefit of the uv was I eliminated the chiller. My water temp is 80 degrees.
Some people say DO increases with lower temp but honesty it really isn't that much. Healthy roots make up for it. I used the tea for years and always would end up with root issues week 5 of flower.
I got sick of making all that tea and storing it also.
This system is super simple and works good. Res change was perfect and super easy.
Good call. I hate making tea and having to store it in the fridge. It's out of necessity that I make it. It does do well in with soil and coco too, though so I'll probably always have some on hand for moms and whatnot. The chiller is something I would love to do without. I am on the fence on building a 12 site, partly because I'd need at least a 1/4 HP chiller if not 1/2 so it doesn't work too hard. Those aren't cheap, and I scour for used ones all the time. Plus the amount of juice it takes to run that sucker.
How much did it cost you for the UV, do you have a link? I may end up needing two because of my situation. But may be better to invest in two UV sterilizers vs. another chiller and have to keep up with the electricity.

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
Good call. I hate making tea and having to store it in the fridge. It's out of necessity that I make it. It does do well in with soil and coco too, though so I'll probably always have some on hand for moms and whatnot. The chiller is something I would love to do without. I am on the fence on building a 12 site, partly because I'd need at least a 1/4 HP chiller if not 1/2 so it doesn't work too hard. Those aren't cheap, and I scour for used ones all the time. Plus the amount of juice it takes to run that sucker.
How much did it cost you for the UV, do you have a link? I may end up needing two because of my situation. But may be better to invest in two UV sterilizers vs. another chiller and have to keep up with the electricity.
I believe they are around $237.00 for the one he has .

Last edited:

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
I believe they are aroundd $237.00 for the one he has .
This might be a little bigger, I think Heisen said his was 7 GPM.

Burned Haze

Really Active Member
Bluonics 55W Ultraviolet Light UV Water Sterilizer Purifier Filter for Whole House Water Purification 12 GPM with 3/4" MNTP Inlet Outlet + 2 Extra Bulb

If heisen has a different model or suggestions , I would love that. I’m just trying to be helpful!

Edit: armdog replied when I was replying with same model, didn’t see that lol

Armdog

RDWC GROWER

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
@Armdog @Burned Haze thank you gentlemen. Will definitely check this out. Seems like you'd want this right before point of dispensing otherwise if you put it, say, a "whole house" away from dispensing spot, it will pick up more pathogens along the way to the collection vessel.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Bluonics 55W Ultraviolet Light UV Water Sterilizer Purifier Filter for Whole House Water Purification 12 GPM with 3/4" MNTP Inlet Outlet + 2 Extra Bulb

If heisen has a different model or suggestions , I would love that. I’m just trying to be helpful!

Edit: armdog replied when I was replying with same model, didn’t see that lol
That's the one I have. Its 12 GPM

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
This is the one that I use, it's 8GPM and tied into my Big Boy system. https://www.hydrologicsystems.com/collections/uv-sterilizer-kits/products/uv-sterilizer-kit-8-gpm

By the way the proper way to run this kind of system is to filter first, then UV it.
Than I would have needed to tap into the main line with 1/4 in pex. But why would you want to dechlorinate before the UV. All your doing is making a breeding ground for.more pathogens inside those filters.
I have a uv sterelizer that goes on my RO unit that sits in the corner collecting dust. If you dont have the wash out hose getting UV it's pointless. Sure the ro water is uv sterelizer but the water u use to clean the equipments contaminates everything.
I can always set up a inline uv after the dechlorinater but it's pointless. Everything is working

Bc_ca

Super Active Member
Than I would have needed to tap into the main line with 1/4 in pex. But why would you want to dechlorinate before the UV. All your doing is making a breeding ground for.more pathogens inside those filters.
I have a uv sterelizer that goes on my RO unit that sits in the corner collecting dust. If you dont have the wash out hose getting UV it's pointless. Sure the ro water is uv sterelizer but the water u use to clean the equipments contaminates everything.
I can always set up a inline uv after the dechlorinater but it's pointless. Everything is working
Heisen is right death by UV for everything before the r/o filters
Currently I run (2) .5 micron filters
Before the water ever reaches the house. Now I will need a r/o for the house just tested water now it test some 1500ppm geez!

Last edited:

SCJedi

Synergist
I only mention it because I am a toxicologist and worked for a $80m package plant where we took secondary waste water from the sewage plant and made it cleaner than your tap water. It ran through ultra-microfiltration, was pressurized and pushed through reverse osmosis trains, was sent through UV trains, decarbonated, had NaOH injected into it for pH correction and then sat for distribution.

Mind you this was a prep plant to turn shit water into water better than what humans consume, and not.just for plants.

The purpose of UV is to scramble proteins, enzymes, DNA, RNA to render them useless. The purpose of prefiltering out as much as you can is so what ever does make it through has access to the light from that crystal bulb. (The one you pulled out.) Those are very fragile and shouldn't really be handled at all to stay @ 99% efficacy btw.

My system runs on a 1" line. Water comes into the house, is filtered for sediment and chlorine, and them runs UV, again, all on a 1" line so it has decent throughout. UV systems slow.the water flow down so everything has a chance to get exposed to the light.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Heisen is right death by UV for everything before the r/o filters
Currently I run (2) .5 micron filters
Before the water ever reaches the house. Now I will need a r/o for the house just tested water now it test some 1500ppm geez!
1500 PPM??? You'll be dirtier after a shower how does that work?? Lmao 😄

Boybelue

Super Active Member
1500ppm wow! I'm really lucky, first time I bought a blue lab EC stick it wasnt working, thought it was faulty, just didnt have enough electrical conductivity. I was real low few yrs back, up to 68ppm last I ck'd but that varies with rain, drought. I wonder if living near the coast makes it worse?