Heisenbubbles Do it yourself RDWC build

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Heres the Series

Here is the parts list and the videos for the do it yourself build on a 12 bucket RDWC system

You will need all of the following, If i miss anything you guys can help correct me or make a suggestion

I strongly suggest you watch the videos FIRST before you buy a bunch of parts. everything you need to know is all in this video
I have explained everything in very good detail on how to build this.

Tools you will need

Something to cut all the pipe and bulkheads.I used a compound miter saw to cut everything. Its super easy. If you dont wanna buy a cheap one than borrow one. otherwise youll have to hand cut everything with a hand saw
A Big pair of channel locks. big enough to tighten the bulkhead nut. Its like 2 inches so a 3 inch set will work
A drill to drill all the holes.
A 2 1/4" Hole saw, the pipes are 1 and a half but the bulkhead threads are wider so the hole needs to be bigger for the bulkhead to go in.
A 6 inch hole saw for the net pot holes in the lids
A 1/4 inch drill bit for the holes in the bucket for the shut off valve and top off resovior

You will need 12 buckets plus 1 control bucket from here.
13 of these

For a 6 or 8 bucket system the principle still applies here. you just use the system buckets and always add 1 more for the control bucket.

ttps://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-13650BL/Pails/Square-Pail-4-Gallon-Black?model=S-13650BL&RootChecked=yes

Also get the lids

You will need 3 - 10 foot or 8 foot 1 and a half inch pvc pipe. you can also opt to use 2 inch if you want but i find 1 and a half is enough, 2 inch will be slightly more expensive.

You dont have to buy this stuff at Lowes but im only showing the parts so you know what to get. Any schedule 40 pipe will work.

1 - 8 or 10 foot 3/4 inch sch 40 piece of pipe.

You will need 4 of these

1 of these to reduce the 1 and 1/2 inch down to the 3/4 inch hose that goes to your pump

1 of these to screw your hose into after you connect it to the 3/4 inch pipe. its all in the videos.

1 of these to screw your return line hose to and this will have a 3 inch pipe inserted into it that goes into your control bucket

1 of these to put in your control bucket, to connect the control bucket to your top off reservoir.Regular 1/4 inch black air hose will work.

1 of these to screw under your top off reservoir. Your fill hose that goes to your control bucket will push into this under your top off reservoir.

A rubber washer with a 1/4 inch inside hole to go on first before you put in the hole under the top off res,

And screw this on top of it to hold it in place. you will need to cut the top off this cause all you need are the threads that will screw over the fitting you pushed up from underneath. this part is the most pain in the ass to try to explain so watch the videos before you start any of this. Its all in the videos.

You will Need two of these for every bucket in your system. So if you have a 6 bucket you will need 12 of these, 12 bucket will be 24 and so on.
You will need this in 1 1/2 " . As i said before you can go 2 inch if you want but make sure you upgrade the other fittings in the list to all 2 inch.

An inline water pump, at least 450 GPH, Keep in mind the bigger pumps will have 1 inch hose inlet so you will have to modify the inlet from a water hose fitting to be able to insert the hose. I used a 1 inch rubber hose and just inserted the 3/4 inch PVC pipe into it. Use the same adapter that goes into your control bucket to make it work. I will insert a picture later here to clarify. If you look at the beginning of video 8 you can see what i use to connect the 3/4 inch line to a 1 inch Pump

An inline filter , something I added later that has been awesome. You can buy a regular garden hose from wal mart or wherever and buy the hose repair fittings and get some hose clamps, The regular water hose fittings will screw on this. I put this after the pump going up before it goes into the chiller and has been a very nice addition.

A can of purple primer

A can of this for the glue,
It has to be multi purpose because the bulkheads are CPVC and this will only seal them

I will update anything i left out or add to it

Watch this first

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

PART 4

PART 5

Last edited:

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Hello,

I'm new here and watched your whole series on youtube. Thanks for posting it here with the parts list. I made my own parts list a couple days ago and bought half the parts at Harbor Freight and Home Depot. I made a spreadsheet as a checklist. It's also somewhat of a calculator based on the number of buckets entered in the top cell. Not all of the cells have been populated yet because I'm not sure of either the part/source/price. The parts list posted above will help with this, but I may have some questions along the way. I might add some images, if people find this useful. :)

Attachments

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Hello,

I'm new here and watched your whole series on youtube. Thanks for posting it here with the parts list. I made my own parts list a couple days ago and bought half the parts at Harbor Freight and Home Depot. I made a spreadsheet as a checklist. It's also somewhat of a calculator based on the number of buckets entered in the top cell. Not all of the cells have been populated yet because I'm not sure of either the part/source/price. The parts list posted above will help with this, but I may have some questions along the way. I might add some images, if people find this useful. :)
If you wanna screen shot it or copy that list that would be awesome. Some people wont trust a zip file.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
I updated the list, if anyone's interested I'll post it.
I need some advice on the water chiller - brand, source, cost.
Also, Amazon is sold out of the 6" Black CZ net pots, had to find an alternative, hopefully they'll work:

Thanks (y)

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
I updated the list, if anyone's interested I'll post it.
I need some advice on the water chiller - brand, source, cost.
Also, Amazon is sold out of the 6" Black CZ net pots, had to find an alternative, hopefully they'll work:

Thanks (y)
Those will work but you'll need to cut the hole 5 and a 1/4

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Recipe for eliminating pthogens.

5 gallon bucket
2 air stones
4 gallons of ro water
Good air pump.

Mix 30 ml of hydroguard
1 scoop of great white benneficial bacteria
25 ml of high brix molasses

Put air stones in there and turn on and run for 36 hrs. Should be no molasses smell before you put in your res. Will smell real earthy and be the color of tea.

Add 3 cups per gallon on a new res and 1 cup per gallon every 3 days
Add the same to top off res.
Top feed new plants once every week till things get going.

This has been the only thing that has kept my plant roots healthy and no issues.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Do you think it makes a difference if the net pots are white vs. black? CZ has white in stock but are out of stock of the black until May or so.