Heisenbubbles Do it yourself RDWC build

Bc_ca

Super Active Member
absolutely not!
396 is even too strong... Using 1.5", the roots are clogging the pipe, we have to reduce the flow using a ball valve else the water level in the buckets aren't the same, near the EPI is higher than the other side.

You'd better use 2" bulkheads, way more space for roots, flow is also way better when you have to drain your system since you are not forced to reduce the gph because of clogging.

But hell yeah 4 gals bucket over 8/13 from CC! Way cheaper (nutrient and RO water)
I just got the 2” cch2O bulkhead fittings today for the 4 gallon u-line buckets. It’s a week extra wait on those fittings from hydro builder. I need to depend on a water tight seal at the bucket connection over and over and only screw by hand. I believe you will need large threads like what’s in a pickle or jelly jar. I wanted to post on the board for those wanting to use the cch2O 2” fitting that you need to center measure and mark just as HB stated
And if using the cch2O 2” bulkhead fittings that you place your center drill point for your hole saw exactly 2 1/2
Inches from the bottom outside edge of the bucket laying on its side just like in the video and use a 2 3/4 hole saw.
Get a buddy for helping hold the buckets from u-line, they are stout buckets 1 person on the drill & one holding the bucket💪😜🤟🏼. The fitting slip right in
The large outside thick & meaty gasket seals up against the u-line 4 gallon bucket like a champ. But I have not done a hydro test as I need to cut & glue my 11bucket 4x8 system together tomorrow 💪😊👍
HB must have a iron claw grip to hold the camera phone ,drill the u-line bucket & not swear profanities during that instructional period 😄
Thanks hugely for sharing your hard earned knowledge and raising our capabilities to aspire to reach for it!💪😃🤟🏼

Last edited:

Rattman

Hey Heisen, what are your thoughts on the “waterfall effect” as an addition to your system setup.... do they really increase oxygen substantially in you opinion?
Example:

BubblySeeder

Hey Heisen, what are your thoughts on the “waterfall effect” as an addition to your system setup.... do they really increase oxygen substantially in you opinion?
Example:
I like the idea of using the return from the pump to drain the system or top watering. Otherwise your back to using another pump.

That said I have thought about putting in a half inch line from control/epi bucket with a shutoff valve if I go inline with a small 2nd pump or a small submersible pump in control to use with 1/4" 360 degree micro sprayers at top of inside of bucket and run this pump just during early growth with a 30 min on/off schedule. My grow area is very tiny and this could allow me to start from seed in same bucket all the way to flower/fruiting. I've only used autoflowers and veggies (tomatoes and such). It will would also likely remove the occasional need to top water plants.

Your thoughts?

Jewels

Bon~Fire
Your thoughts?
You have pressurised water on hand. No need for two pumps.
Also, if you brought the mountain to Moses by raising the water to the netpot, you can skip the drip and start to finish in the same bucket.

do they really increase oxygen substantially in you opinion?
Before that question can be addressed, one thing must be understood. The equipment in that video failed to achieve the desired result.

First off, no matter how many times the narrator says " that's what we call the waterfall effect" it does not make it true.
The waterfall effect relies on a thin skim of water with a huge surface area
,,,you know - like a waterfall ?

What he is trying to create is a 'venturi effect' , and they have not.

What he mistakenly created is "laminar flow".
Google "laminar water cannon" ,he accidentally built one.
This was counter-productive to his aim.

It may actually start to work better once the rootball fills the pot and the jet is just splashing off the top of the ball, if the stem doesn't rot off first.

If he had drilled a quarter inch hole in the top of that delivery elbow ( as air intake) and extended the supply outlet down to the bottom of the pot- then he would be pushing more air than water.

It is a strange concept but it is true.
Drill a hole in the windshield of your car. The smoke from your joint will exit directly out the glass , at highway speed.

And now that I've got myself worked up ,,,one more thing kids.
It was nice to see his water pump without any negative head , although with that many air bubbles entering his pump the induction motor will damage the ceramic shaft and the pump will loathe re-prime.
He is going to have a rattle-box on his hands.

Bc_ca

Super Active Member
I just got the 2” cch2O bulkhead fittings today for the 4 gallon u-line buckets. It’s a week extra wait on those fittings from hydro builder. I need to depend on a water tight seal at the bucket connection over and over and only screw by hand. I believe you will need large threads like what’s in a pickle or jelly jar. I wanted to post on the board for those wanting to use the cch2O 2” fitting that you need to center measure and mark just as HB stated
And if using the cch2O 2” bulkhead fittings that you place your center drill point for your hole saw exactly 2 1/2
Inches from the bottom outside edge of the bucket laying on its side just like in the video and use a 2 3/4 hole saw.
Here are HB bucket set up in 2”
Still waiting on the cch2O 5.5 netpots
Then the lids go on.
It would be a tall order of achievement to be able to run RDWC without a chiller!
Roots are such a protected system.

Attachments

Last edited:

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Also, if you brought the mountain to Moses by raising the water to the netpot, you can skip the drip and start to finish in the same bucket.

Before that question can be addressed, one thing must be understood. The equipment in that video failed to achieve the desired result.

First off, no matter how many times the narrator says " that's what we call the waterfall effect" it does not make it true.

It may actually start to work better once the rootball fills the pot and the jet is just splashing off the top of the ball, if the stem doesn't rot off first.

If he had drilled a quarter inch hole in the top of that delivery elbow ( as air intake) and extended the supply outlet down to the bottom of the pot- then he would be pushing more air than water.

Drill a hole in the windshield of your car. The smoke from your joint will exit directly out the glass , at highway speed.

It was nice to see his water pump without any negative head , although with that many air bubbles entering his pump the induction motor will damage the ceramic shaft and the pump will loathe re-prime.
I FUCKING LOVE IT!! HAHAHAHA

Bc_ca

Super Active Member
I really like the hub bulkhead fittings, are they female thread, on the opposite end?
No they are big meaty male thread
With large spacing between the few threads that are there. They hand tighten & un tighten with the same force you use to open a dill pickle jar but more beefy. No tools required , not cutting off fitting ends required. But knows this hydrobuilder.com was the best price having them in a sellable quantity delivered @
$13 and change. I needed 22 for my setup it worked awesome. My shoulders and knees are completely gone so If I am going grow a Heisen RDWC
I spend the $$ on reducing my pain or weaknesses of repeatedly up and down on the body joints. Hence the NFT table next to the HB RDWC.
I will pull a hub out and post pick of the bucket thread side. I would buy them in a heart beat again for the next
HB RDWC for the other side of the NFT as well 🤓

Bc_ca

Super Active Member
With large spacing between the few threads that are there. They hand tighten & un tighten with the same force you use to open a dill pickle jar but more beefy. No tools required , not cutting off fitting ends required. But knows this hydrobuilder.com was the best price having them in a sellable quantity delivered @
$13 and change. I needed 22 for my setup it worked awesome. My shoulders and knees are completely gone so If I am going grow a Heisen RDWC
I spend the $$ on reducing my pain or weaknesses of repeatedly up and down on the body joints. Hence the NFT table next to the HB RDWC.
I will pull a hub out and post pick of the bucket thread side. I would buy them in a heart beat again for the next
I also want to point out that by using these fittings with Heisen instructions
As in his video of cut the pipe 12” between the buckets for the bulkhead
So to have 10” between bucket and a 20” center to center spacing. With these bulkhead fittings I have a 23” center to center bucket spacing running length and I maintained a 25” center to center bucket width

Jewels

Bon~Fire
The ones that I found have a female thread passing through. It necessitates a male threadxhub (appears right in photo) fitting to get you back to pipe.
20191019_011631(1).jpg

My fittings have tiny shoulders, it leaves little to grab. Not to mention the reverse thread always F's me up.
I was thinking a mini-flywheel wrench could turn those suckers easy.

Rattman

Thanks jewels! I’ll definitely stick with the original build plan now! 👍

Rattman

One more quick question folks regarding water pumps.
I have four 4-gallon buckets (plus 5th control bucket) so I’ll be running less than 20 gallons total for the system. Would a 400gph water pump be sufficient? Is “bigger = better” the attitude I should take when buying the pump? I don’t mind spending the extra bucks on bigger if that makes for a better system, but is there such a thing as too much water flow?
I’m seeing tons of pumps on amazon for well under 50 bucks. Are they suitable for this type of grow or should I be looking elsewhere?
Of course.... I have all of the same questions regarding the air pumps too. 😊

Thanks in advance everyone for your guidance!

Boybelue

Super Active Member
I bought some of the 2" off ebay about a yr ago for $13 If i remember right, now the only ones i see are $24 and seen some 3" cheaper at $17. What all colors do the uline buckets come in? I'd like to have some the same color as the GH buckets.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
One more quick question folks regarding water pumps.
I have four 4-gallon buckets (plus 5th control bucket) so I’ll be running less than 20 gallons total for the system. Would a 400gph water pump be sufficient? Is “bigger = better” the attitude I should take when buying the pump? I don’t mind spending the extra bucks on bigger if that makes for a better system, but is there such a thing as too much water flow?
I’m seeing tons of pumps on amazon for well under 50 bucks. Are they suitable for this type of grow or should I be looking elsewhere?
Of course.... I have all of the same questions regarding the air pumps too. 😊

Thanks in advance everyone for your guidance!
My opinion is the bigger pumps create more root problems, if you slow the flow down just right where the current dont carry the roots into the pipes and clog things but still keeps everything mixed/agitated and the PH equalized you'll have less headaches. I dont really see an the advantage to a strong undercurrent myself, seems like highly areated water that's circulated just enough to keep the PH/ppms equalized and stable throughout is what you want. I do like big air pumps, I dont feel like its possible to have to much aeration, that highly oxygenated environment is what makes those roots explode. Jmho