Heisenbubbles Do it yourself RDWC build

inthetrees

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post the videos and share your plans with the community. I'm just finishing up building x2 10 site systems for use in my 4x8 tents. The videos and explanations are top notch man. Systems cost a fair bit more for me since I'm in canada, but well worth the price.

-itt

Tarby

If I wanted a 24 bucket version would I make 2 of your setups and split the out line from the chiller to two Rez or could I combine it all together in one. Thanks

inthetrees

It's not low. It's right level with the bottom of the net pot. I had it lifted out for the pic
Hey man... I'm done building my systems and the float valves just showed up today.... I see you set the water level 1/3 of the way up in your net pots for the veg bins, but just to confirm your keeping it level with the bottom of the net pots in the full systems? Stupid question I know, but I germed and planted my seeds in 2" cubes and will be transferring them directly into the system.

Before I go and cut holes in my epis for the floats I just want to make sure what level to set em at... Common sense is saying to have the float set so the water is at the bottom of the pots, and then I'll just manual add water so its higher and up to the 1/3 mark in the net pots until the plants grow a bit and grab...

Thanks,
-itt

Sm0key42o

Hey guys, i watched the tutorial. Few questions any suggestions on bucket ct. For a 6x3 closet grow i have 9 ft ceilings ht isn't an issue i decided a single roll of 4 plus the res would be about right. Also instead of that T comming off the backside an 90 degree elbow to finish the connect for the return line. Feel free to chime in thanks!

Foxhunter444

I love my systems that I have built. Cuts down the work load tremendously. I have just started some more seeds about 6 weeks ago. Seems to me that fan leaves are huge this time and it is the same on the different strains I have used from time to time. I am going to enclose one pic of a fan leaf that is almost a foot across. Just curious if this is normal for others? Also, I am having a little trouble keeping my pH stable. Up until this time it stayed pretty much in the 5.5 to 6.5 with very little chemical control with pH up and down. Now it stays good for a few day and then BAM, down to 4.1 or something stupid like that. It is not the tester. I calibrated it to make sure. What can cause the pH to fluctuate like this.

Attachments

RDWC growers....so i have been doing the dwc thing for a little bit now and about to start a flood and drain build. Have you had problems running multi strain in rdwc? I know many plants feed differently but wanted to see how people approach this problem.

inthetrees

RDWC growers....so i have been doing the dwc thing for a little bit now and about to start a flood and drain build. Have you had problems running multi strain in rdwc? I know many plants feed differently but wanted to see how people approach this problem.
I've been running the same ppm's in both my systems and have a different strain in each of the two. No issues with deficiencies or burning and I hit 650 ppms in my last week of veg and the ppms were still dropping between 40 - 50 ppm each day in both.

inthetrees

I love my systems that I have built. Cuts down the work load tremendously. I have just started some more seeds about 6 weeks ago. Seems to me that fan leaves are huge this time and it is the same on the different strains I have used from time to time. I am going to enclose one pic of a fan leaf that is almost a foot across. Just curious if this is normal for others? Also, I am having a little trouble keeping my pH stable. Up until this time it stayed pretty much in the 5.5 to 6.5 with very little chemical control with pH up and down. Now it stays good for a few day and then BAM, down to 4.1 or something stupid like that. It is not the tester. I calibrated it to make sure. What can cause the pH to fluctuate like this.
Is your EC going up when the pH drops?

Skunkle Justin

I don’t usually have any issues with that but my veg cycle in RDWC doesn’t usually go past four weeks so the nitrogen demand won’t get too crazy if ithere are plant plants of different sizes. If you get a problem child that just can’t stay in the system, you’re just gonna have to go old school and put it in a 5gal bucket by itself. If a strain wants to linger in flower for a real long time then I also put it in its own bucket after harvesting the rest

I don’t usually have any issues with that but my veg cycle in RDWC doesn’t usually go past four weeks so the nitrogen demand won’t get too crazy if ithere are plant plants of different sizes. If you get a problem child that just can’t stay in the system, you’re just gonna have to go old school and put it in a 5gal bucket by itself. If a strain wants to linger in flower for a real long time then I also put it in its own bucket after harvesting the rest
Thanks. I am gonna go ahead and do it.

If you have any questions at all, hit me up. This is the way I’m most comfortable with Growing anyway.
I can do the dwc thing no problem....I wanted to start off ebb & flow but it was always my understanding it would have caused me more problems with feed levels. But since people are getting away with it....I can too. Like you said...if I do get that one, I can always pop it in a 5 gal bucket. It was a pain in the ass topping off 10-15 gallons of day in flower lol

happybanana89

Gotta say many thanks for this thorough guide and the entertaining videos HeisenBeans, I’m from a rural area and got a kick out of your personality, no issues haha. This is the best hydro guide by far I have found online, under current or otherwise.

I’ve got most of the components purchased or on the way to build a 4-site system (+epi) with 2 inch plumbing throughout (except the 3/4” return).

I’m a little confused what size water line you’re running from your top-off reservoir to the float valve at the epi bucket. Is it 3/8” in your case? Any problem with using 1/4” other that I guess it would flow slower?

The links you gave are not sold anymore, but these look like they should work?

Bottom of reservoir:

1/4 in. O.D. x 1/4 in. MIP NPTF Polypropylene Push-to-Connect Adapter Fitting

Inside reservoir to secure that fitting:

1/4 in. Push-To-Connect x 1/4 in. FIP Polypropylene Adapter Fitting

And then I would just use a 1/4 line to the epi and 1/4 shutoff valve and float valve at the epi bucket.

Last question, is it a problem to run a T inside the bucket and a single Supply pipe from the control bucket to the T which distributes water down two rows? Asking because inside a 4x4 tent, I’m not sure the entire setup fits with a control bucket inside the tent, and I expect to need to run control outside the tent with plumbing going into the tent through vent holes.

The vent holes are usually not dead center in the side of the tent, so I might have to run some customized plumbing from the control bucket into the tent, but I assumed this will still be OK since each side still travels the same distance from the control bucket to the T, after which they branch-off. So in my system there are two Ts- both supply and return.

does that work? Still catching up on the full thread.

inthetrees

Hey dude... Welcome to the UC world. These are by far the best system plans, as well as the rest of the fam here is amazing for helping with any issues you will run into...

Run 1/4" line for your top off to epi bucket float. I use the green Floraflex line on everything. It's softer than the black shit so if I disconenct a line from a PEX fitting then I cut off a half inch prior to hooking back up otherwise they will leak. You may be using different line though... IDK about those fittings there... Mine all came as one piece you thread apart... I'll have to look but I can't remember if I put an O-ring in mine or not. I don't think I did..

Your also fine running a "T" out of the epi bucket. I asked the same question to Heisenbeans since I was dealing with space restraints from being in tents as well. I even made my connecting pipes between the buckets shorter than what was in the videos but ran into issues when I went to assemble. Edibles and building aren't a good combo for me. I was also going to put my epi outside of the tent, but ended up just staggering it back a bit as you can see in the pic below.

The systems are insane dude.... Looking forward to seeing your build.

SYSTEM.jpg

Last edited:

Foxhunter444

Where are you running your water through a chiller to keep the water cooled down? Good looking system but I can see where problems come from the hardline with the pump. Also, what pump are you using?

inthetrees

I have a 1/4 HP chiller for each system. Complete overkill but they were a steal of a deal. I put them in the room on the other side of the wall along with my top off reservoirs. The chillers came with eco plus 600 GPH pumps which can be submersible or inline. I'm running one of those in each of the epi's to circulate through the chillers. My mag drives for the systems are Danner 950 GPH's and they are overkill too imo. If you watch Heisenbean's videos and see how fast his pump is dumping into his epi, mine has got to be x3 - x4 that velocity. I'm only running 10 sites though not 12, and his roots are allot bigger than mine so that would slow the velocity down.

Made three 8 sites and they’re going strong,only thing I did was space centers to 25in to cover a 4x8 for each system . I’m only using a 350gph pump which is plenty imo, I’ve tried 750gph and made no difference at all and cost double. Only thing I was having issues with later in flower is p.h dropping like crazy so had to install some blue lab ph dosers. I’ve got multiple buddies running current culture systems and these perform just as good as them while using wayyy less water. just use 3/16 line from the reservoir to the epi, no need for anything bigger..also there’s absolutely no need to run bigger than 1.5in pvc unless you want to spend more on bulkheads. Also never ran a chiller and have never had any issues, perfectly healthy white roots and plants running anywhere from 72-84f, i really don’t think they’re necessary 🤷🏻‍♂️ People don’t chill their water doing bubble buckets..