Heisenbubbles Do it yourself RDWC build

Rattman

So do I wait till ph hits 6.5 or should I start to lower ph now?
I don’t want to shock the plants so please let me know how you would handle... how fast, and how low do I want to lower ph?

About one drop of ph down per gallon seems to drop ph about .3 or .4 in the tote.

Thanks all!!

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
So do I wait till ph hits 6.5 or should I start to lower ph now?
I don’t want to shock the plants so please let me know how you would handle... how fast, and how low do I want to lower ph?

About one drop of ph down per gallon seems to drop ph about .3 or .4 in the tote.

Thanks all!!
Not sure what everyone else does but I keep my res 6.3 to 5.8

Foxhunter444

Algae requires all the same things as plants for growth. Eliminate one of the requirements, and you can eliminate the algae.
I would try light. Insulate the bucket and light will not enter the bucket, henceforth algae will not grow.
The algae is gone. The removal of the light did the trick.

Rattman

My ph seems to rise about 0.1 per day... and always goes up. Never down.

The clones tote is just dwc... not RDWC. So Im not using a top-off Rez to steer. Just pouring in diluted ph down directly into tote.

So with regards to steering the ph do you guys just wait till ph hits the upper or lower boundary and then you begin to steer slowly in opposite direction till you “swing” all the way through to the opposite threshold?

In other words... my ph just crept back up from 5.7 to 6.0. Do I wait for it to hit 6.5 before responding with ph down, and then do I slowly steer back down to 5.5 over severL days. Or is that too drastic of a response to ph?

Been growing in dirt for years and just switched....so understanding “how/when” to react to ph is still a bit of a mystery to me. The clones are currently at 400ppm, 6.0ph and 70 degrees. No chiller yet but I have the uv light.

Have a great day everyone!

Btw... just started some of Heisen’s gg4s seeds! Yay!

Boybelue

Super Active Member
My ph seems to rise about 0.1 per day... and always goes up. Never down.

The clones tote is just dwc... not RDWC. So Im not using a top-off Rez to steer. Just pouring in diluted ph down directly into tote.

So with regards to steering the ph do you guys just wait till ph hits the upper or lower boundary and then you begin to steer slowly in opposite direction till you “swing” all the way through to the opposite threshold?

In other words... my ph just crept back up from 5.7 to 6.0. Do I wait for it to hit 6.5 before responding with ph down, and then do I slowly steer back down to 5.5 over severL days. Or is that too drastic of a response to ph?

Been growing in dirt for years and just switched....so understanding “how/when” to react to ph is still a bit of a mystery to me. The clones are currently at 400ppm, 6.0ph and 70 degrees. No chiller yet but I have the uv light.

Have a great day everyone!

Btw... just started some of Heisen’s gg4s seeds! Yay!
Set it at 5.5 let it swing up to 6.5 however long it takes then go directly back down to 5.5.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
It just naturally swings up, you would have to manually move it down slowly which would be to much trouble. As long as your getting the swing to hit all the prime uptake points your fine. If your ph is falling something is wrong, got some organic matter decaying in your solution most likely. Usually when you hit 6.5 It's a good time for a rez change anyway.

Rattman

Ok thanks boyblue. Heisen suggested in one of his videos to watch out for ph shock from quick drastic changes in ph... but I was unsure of what swings would be considered “drastic”.

Good point about the Rez change, and good to know that a positive swing in ph should be expected.

Foxhunter444

Been harvesting a great crop of super sticky moist buds. Loving the hydro setup here. Works great. I just have a question I have noticed when cutting. I have grown in soil previously and did not notice the stems being hollow. Seems all of these are hollow. Just curious if this is normal or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Been harvesting a great crop of super sticky moist buds. Loving the hydro setup here. Works great. I just have a question I have noticed when cutting. I have grown in soil previously and did not notice the stems being hollow. Seems all of these are hollow. Just curious if this is normal or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,
If you are getting "celery snap" stems that are not pliable then add silica. It will also raise on. Hollow is normal as long as they aren't weak.

Foxhunter444

If you are getting "celery snap" stems that are not pliable then add silica. It will also raise on. Hollow is normal as long as they aren't weak.
The stems are very strong and at the same time flexible enough to bend as necessary to support the weight of the buds. Thank you very much.

Youngwavy

Hey heisenbean can you put a link to the air stones we should use and maybe do a video on how to set up the resivoir .

Youngwavy

Heres the Series

Here is the parts list and the videos for the do it yourself build on a 12 bucket RDWC system

You will need all of the following, If i miss anything you guys can help correct me or make a suggestion

I strongly suggest you watch the videos FIRST before you buy a bunch of parts. everything you need to know is all in this video
I have explained everything in very good detail on how to build this.

Tools you will need

Something to cut all the pipe and bulkheads.I used a compound miter saw to cut everything. Its super easy. If you dont wanna buy a cheap one than borrow one. otherwise youll have to hand cut everything with a hand saw
A Big pair of channel locks. big enough to tighten the bulkhead nut. Its like 2 inches so a 3 inch set will work
A drill to drill all the holes.
A 2 1/4" Hole saw, the pipes are 1 and a half but the bulkhead threads are wider so the hole needs to be bigger for the bulkhead to go in.
A 6 inch hole saw for the net pot holes in the lids
A 1/4 inch drill bit for the holes in the bucket for the shut off valve and top off resovior

You will need 12 buckets plus 1 control bucket from here.
13 of these

For a 6 or 8 bucket system the principle still applies here. you just use the system buckets and always add 1 more for the control bucket.

ttps://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-13650BL/Pails/Square-Pail-4-Gallon-Black?model=S-13650BL&RootChecked=yes

Also get the lids

You will need 3 - 10 foot or 8 foot 1 and a half inch pvc pipe. you can also opt to use 2 inch if you want but i find 1 and a half is enough, 2 inch will be slightly more expensive.

You dont have to buy this stuff at Lowes but im only showing the parts so you know what to get. Any schedule 40 pipe will work.

1 - 8 or 10 foot 3/4 inch sch 40 piece of pipe.

You will need 4 of these

1 of these to reduce the 1 and 1/2 inch down to the 3/4 inch hose that goes to your pump

1 of these to screw your hose into after you connect it to the 3/4 inch pipe. its all in the videos.

1 of these to screw your return line hose to and this will have a 3 inch pipe inserted into it that goes into your control bucket

1 of these to put in your control bucket, to connect the control bucket to your top off reservoir.Regular 1/4 inch black air hose will work.

1 of these to screw under your top off reservoir. Your fill hose that goes to your control bucket will push into this under your top off reservoir.

A rubber washer with a 1/4 inch inside hole to go on first before you put in the hole under the top off res,

And screw this on top of it to hold it in place. you will need to cut the top off this cause all you need are the threads that will screw over the fitting you pushed up from underneath. this part is the most pain in the ass to try to explain so watch the videos before you start any of this. Its all in the videos.

You will Need two of these for every bucket in your system. So if you have a 6 bucket you will need 12 of these, 12 bucket will be 24 and so on.
You will need this in 1 1/2 " . As i said before you can go 2 inch if you want but make sure you upgrade the other fittings in the list to all 2 inch.

An inline water pump, at least 450 GPH, Keep in mind the bigger pumps will have 1 inch hose inlet so you will have to modify the inlet from a water hose fitting to be able to insert the hose. I used a 1 inch rubber hose and just inserted the 3/4 inch PVC pipe into it. Use the same adapter that goes into your control bucket to make it work. I will insert a picture later here to clarify. If you look at the beginning of video 8 you can see what i use to connect the 3/4 inch line to a 1 inch Pump

An inline filter , something I added later that has been awesome. You can buy a regular garden hose from wal mart or wherever and buy the hose repair fittings and get some hose clamps, The regular water hose fittings will screw on this. I put this after the pump going up before it goes into the chiller and has been a very nice addition.

A can of purple primer

A can of this for the glue,
It has to be multi purpose because the bulkheads are CPVC and this will only seal them

I will update anything i left out or add to it

Watch this first

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

PART 4

PART 5
Hey bro can you put a link to the airstones and anything else you forgot and maybe a detailed video on how to set up the resivoir

Hey bro can you put a link to the airstones and anything else you forgot and maybe a detailed video on how to set up the resivoir

I use either the small or mediums, w.e the 2x2 is.
reservoir is simple, just drill a hole in the bottom big enough to fit the fitting in, use a o-ring on the outside on the bottom and use a nut or w.e to screw the fitting tight. run your water line to the epicenter bucket and plug it in to the overflow valve and boom, done

Youngwavy

I use either the small or mediums, w.e the 2x2 is.
reservoir is simple, just drill a hole in the bottom big enough to fit the fitting in, use a o-ring on the outside on the bottom and use a nut or w.e to screw the fitting tight. run your water line to the epicenter bucket and plug it in to the overflow valve and boom, done
Thankyou your the man how many air pumps are needed for this? Was looking at the vivosun brand

Bc_ca

Super Active Member
Leak test using cch2O 2” bucket bulkhead fittings on the HB 4 gallon
Bucket Rdwc with 10 buckets 1300gph ecopump
(2) 320 ecoplus2 L/h air pumps dual ports
Eco plus 1/4 hp chiller
Blue lab guardian monitor
All mounted on lumber 10’ L x 32” w
x 6” deck dolly.
All bulkhead fittings were hand tightened allowed to rest then retighten by hand again.
Going for first run of system
first time rdwc experience
Ecoplus 2 air pumps suck. 😡🤬🤬😡
1 leak at 1 bulkhead fitting working on it now running for 1 hr then shut down.
I still here batches of air bubbles in the water system purging 15 min after starting.
I added 150 ml of UC Roots to the epi to recirc and keep system sterilization integrity in check.
3ml per gallon. I have no clones or seedlings to drop yet into the rdwc
I will upgrade to commercial air pump

Attachments

Last edited: