Heisenbubbles Do it yourself RDWC build

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I sorry for the bold but it's cut&upaste... I'm thinking 720 gallons per day ought to be plenty my NFT Rez is no greater than 70gallons i may run it at 60gallons and daily makeup should not be more than 30 gallons that is 1hr of run time to prep level in Rez back to 60 gallons then add ppm then ph
The HB buckets swap out is 55 gallon max , that's 2hrs same day . Steering Rez adds 1 hr. Hard to beat .5 gpm uv . Let me see if they offer a doubling perhaps
Wow 12 gpm with charcoal block. Hmm the r/0 media is the greatest flow restriction. I got the 2 sediment 20inch filters but the r/o stage is missing and the uv filter stage at the end. Time to start digging in the dirties.... need to find great r/o flow rate but not a high waste water ratio. Like 1/.5 good to waste ratio or better. I would think 1:1 sucks imho....
You will find in real use the ROs never flow their rating so go big, or run a RO storage tank. They all waste a lot of water. They need to to keep the salt/mineral flushed out of the membrane. If the salt/minerals get concentrated they start precipitating onto the membrane, restricting flow.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
I couldnt find no 5 gal commander buckets at my lowes, are they in the same spot as the totes? And the craftsman buckets? just about everything around me that carried craftsman has went out of business. I really dig the looks of those.
Yes same area. I like them too, I think they won't bow as much as the ULINE buckets.

https://chuckersparadise.com/threads/the-upward-spyral.579/page-21#post-39476 - post #415 in my thread

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I couldnt find no 5 gal commander buckets at my lowes, are they in the same spot as the totes? And the craftsman buckets? just about everything around me that carried craftsman has went out of business. I really dig the looks of those.
Buckets are usually by the paint :)

Rattman

Hey H,

I just watched your “how I beat Pythian” video.

I’m about to finally test out my new four 4-gal bucket (plus epi bucket) system. I only got a six gph UV light from Amazon.

I’m going to duplicate what you did coming out of the UV light wiTh the combo garden hose and 1/4 line going into the top off rez.

Question: should I bleach my new system and then rinse with the Uv garden hose before first use? Is there any method to doing that?

Second question: do you unplug your UV light when it is not being used? My directions suggested that the pipe the us light is in could get up to 140 degrees if the system is not being used. But of course they don’t tell you whether it should be left running continuously or not.

Thanks for all you do!

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
I would bleach everything before setting up
Hey H,

I’m about to finally test out my new four 4-gal bucket (plus epi bucket) system. I only got a six gph UV light from Amazon.

I’m going to duplicate what you did coming out of the UV light wiTh the combo garden hose and 1/4 line going into the top off rez.

Question: should I bleach my new system and then rinse with the Uv garden hose before first use? Is there any method to doing that?

Second question: do you unplug your UV light when it is not being used? My directions suggested that the pipe the us light is in could get up to 140 degrees if the system is not being used. But of course they don’t tell you whether it should be left running continuously or not.

Thanks for all you do!

Boybelue

Super Active Member
Hey H,

Thanks for all you do!
So those uv sterilizers dont turn on/off by waterflow? Stays on constantly?

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
The theory is the bulb puts out uv longer if you leave it on.
I'm not sure if this idea is based on the old power supply's that have the old school igniter, maybe it doesn't apply to the newer based power supply's that are digital.

The other theory is if you shut it off the stuff you are trying to kill can sneak by the light and contaminate your system.

I leave mine on, it does get quite warm.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
The theory is the bulb puts out uv longer if you leave it on.
I'm not sure if this idea is based on the old power supply's that have the old school igniter, maybe it doesn't apply to the newer based power supply's that are digital.

The other theory is if you shut it off the stuff you are trying to kill can sneak by the light and contaminate your system.

I leave mine on, it does get quite warm.
You know I didn't think about that sneaking by bit, glad you mentioned that, thanks. I think I'll grab one of these just in case an issue arises. I can honestly say I've never had root rot in my rdwc systems so I guess I've got pretty good water. I did get it in a cloner that I let my plants get to big and blocked the light from some of the plants. I had read low light conditions would cause root rot and I believe that is exactly what happened.

Foxhunter444

I am on my third grow and things are looking really nice. I had this tote that was not using and just thought I would play around and put 2 plants in it and see what happened. Basically run it as a DWC recirculating with no epi bucket. Things are looking ok in it but I am seeing just a little bit of green algae on the walls of the tote. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the green algae? Thanks in advance.

Jewels

Bon~Fire
Algae requires all the same things as plants for growth. Eliminate one of the requirements, and you can eliminate the algae.
I would try light. Insulate the bucket and light will not enter the bucket, henceforth algae will not grow.

Rattman

Question about ph.
I have clones in a tote just like in Heisen’s videos. 15 gallons of water.
UV and RO treated.... then I added just 1ml of hydroguard and Sensi part A/b.
The hydroguard added 100ppm and the mutes a/b added another 100ppm.
Adjusted water down from 6.5 down to 5.9 before adding clones on Saturday.

So ppm 200, ph 5.9 and water temp 65 degrees on Saturday.

Since then my ppm has stayed at 200 but the ph has crept back up to 6.3.

I know if the girls are drinking more water than mutes that the ph should go up, but these tiny clones have not drank barely anything yet.

So what could cause ph to increase if the water level has not gone down at all and the ppm has stayed the same?

Do I need to slowly add a little ph down once I get to 6.5ph in an effort to keep the girls between 5.5-6.5ph? What would you do in this instance....and why is ph increasing?

Thanks all!

Jewels

Bon~Fire
'Hardness' acts like a buffer. The nutes are built to help, in regulating the buffer.

RO water is very impressionable.
A ship with no ballast is easily blown off course.