GowDaddyLEDs

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I just had a 320H MeanWell quit on me, started using it around 4/2020, so it didn’t last but about half the warranty period (7yrs). On the bright side they’re replacing it.
I’ve also had quantum boards that had bad diodes, and they were fairly new.
I’m surprised by the reports of Meanwell drivers failing. Meanwell has been known as a quality power supply and driver manufacturer for a long time. Makes me wonder if they have just started putting out lower quality stuff.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I’m surprised by the reports of Meanwell drivers failing. Meanwell has been known as a quality power supply and driver manufacturer for a long time. Makes me wonder if they have just started putting out lower quality stuff.
That's interesting. The only Meanwell driver I had fail was the one that came with the 200 growdaddy. The light is still fine, running on a 120w driver from a HLG light that's years older

Maybe growdaddy got a deal on some factory seconds or something?

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I bought mine over 6 years ago from RapidLed. I got most of my drivers and COB's from them.
All of a sudden, they began going bad, like they had a pre determined expiration date.

Weedkiller

Nothing but top shelf
I've been running my cobs almost non stop since 2016 I think I bought them. I got them off Dan at timber he actually helped me figure out what I needed. He sent me a hlg185 I think they are under driven. They're cree 3500 with pin coolers, never had a hiccup. Ive always been happy with the weed I've got off my cobs

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I think they are "overheating" by design.
They get hot and it trip a failsafe type component in the board.
You send it in and they switch it back on and send it back or sell it as refurbished to another customer.
There's one thing I have noticed while trying to get answers and solutions about fixing them myself.,
I can't locate a drawing of the HLG series "internal schematics".
And if, you can get the outside casing off ,
you're then faced with a nearly impenetrable rectangle block of waterproofing material.
Hell, no wonder they don't last long!
Cause they sure as fuck, shouldn't operate as a "passive" led driver, when it's completely smothered in a block of rubber cheese.
But what do I know?
I know I gave up trying to get down to where the components were located.
If I knew where shit was, I might be able to drill down to the precise area of the board where the problem is accruing and
fix all 6 of my dead HLG CC drivers from 1000mA t 2100mA. 4 x240-A's and 2x 320 -A and B.
These things ain't cheap either.
At least the 24/48 volt "switch" power supplies have built in fans and are a hell of a lot cheaper in price.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
You send it in and they switch it back on and send it back or sell it as refurbished to another customer.
There's one thing I have noticed while trying to get answers and solutions about fixing them myself.,
you're then faced with a nearly impenetrable rectangle block of waterproofing material.
Cause they sure as fuck, shouldn't operate as a "passive" led driver, when it's completely smothered in a block of rubber cheese.
But what do I know?
If I knew where shit was, I might be able to drill down to the precise area of the board where the problem is accruing and
fix all 6 of my dead HLG CC drivers from 1000mA t 2100mA. 4 x240-A's and 2x 320 -A and B.
At least the 24/48 volt "switch" power supplies have built in fans and are a hell of a lot cheaper in price.
got 1 like that myself something over a year old still cycles fine for a 35/40 dollar driver

D

Deleted member 2835

Same here, I was really surprised when I discovered the problem. They usually have high quality parts/materials.
But what do I know?
Planned obsolescence those bastards!

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Planned obsolescence those bastards!
It should be illegal because it just creates more waste. How is it that refrigerators used to last 25+ years and now they struggle to last 10? I bought my second brand new fridge last year since living in this house and one of the freezer drawers is already cracked and constantly falls off the rails. My last fridge just stopped working after right around 10 years.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I think you all need to run HPS :D

Just kidding.

I run a mismash of everything.....and i do not have 1 burnt diode... lucky or what !

I would order a diablo....but...it is hard to pass up this place in Canada called growlights.ca.

They are not fixtures they are boards and all the guts in a box. But...320 watts for 250bucks Canadian :D new tech.... (250 CDN is like 175 USD).

The link is to a 4 panel fixture.... for 480 CDN (340 USD)

I get angle aluminum in 4 foot pieces and make what i need... 250 watts over a tote is about ideal

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
It should be illegal because it just creates more waste. How is it that refrigerators used to last 25+ years and now they struggle to last 10? I bought my second brand new fridge last year since living in this house and one of the freezer drawers is already cracked and constantly falls off the rails. My last fridge just stopped working after right around 10 years.
my first house trailer(was ten years old when i bought it,) came with a old gibson fridge early 60's modle ,i lived in that trailer for over ten years it never gave a problem was still running when i sold the place the old boy who bought it said it was the best fridge he ever had he kept a keg in it,drilled a hole in the door, and put his beer tap on the front, the part that worries me is bidens electric cars ,i bet 1 of those things won't outlast the payment book. built to fail to keep people, buying newer rigs forever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2835

In a lot of countries it is...not sure about America

D

Deleted member 60

We own a '57 Kenskill travel trailer (with really cool woodwork/curved ash corners/etc) that has an original "Frigidaire Made By General Motors" fridge that still works great. The door handle is a truck handle....and the handle on the freezer compartment door inside is a silver Martini glass.

Nope...they don't make em like that anymore. (with exposed electrical wiring right behind the lower grill...LOL)

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
We own a '57 Kenskill travel trailer (with really cool woodwork/curved ash corners/etc) that has an original "Frigidaire Made By General Motors" fridge that still works great. The door handle is a truck handle....and the handle on the freezer compartment door inside is a silver Martini glass.

Nope...they don't make em like that anymore. (with exposed electrical wiring right behind the lower grill...LOL)
is this for rent like a air band b for cannabis cups?as far as the wireing goes at least you can access it to work on the thing this new stuff is like a new car everything installed before the body goes on, its the same with a new backhoe , have you ever tried to change the heater hose on a backhoe,no acess from underneath, you have to pull the fuel tank just to get at the stainless tube that runs thru the rops brace in the cab, need that hoe running for this winter ,in case we get a big snow storm , the county is most times at least three / four days makeing this little back road i live on.

Last edited:

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member

easy access to do repairs!

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member

sounds like a cool older travel trailer.