Fruit and vegetable gardens 2023

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
The sky was clear so I didn't think anything of it. I go out and see frost everywhere (temp was 30°F). Went straight to the garden apologized to the seedlings and dropped my head in shame.
Clear sky usually means it's going to be a colder night because the clouds actually help keep the warmth. We have a possible frost coming Thursday morning so I'm going to cover my plants up to be safe.

sandman83

Super Active Member
I got complacent vato, day and night temps have been great for over a week. I'll be resetting tomorrow with new tomatoes and peppers and getting this seasons photo and auto seeds wet too.
I'm hoping the april/may storms are done, just transplanted out some replacement cucumbers (beit alpha) and a few big jim pepper plants. Squash/zucchini are fast enough to grow that I'll probably just soak some seeds for a few hours a direct plant some replacements in new grow bags. Should have a better feel for the layout next year and put the raised beds in.

oldgwheels

Inflation made the price of FROZEN vegetables go nuts...so i did march 1 starts.

We are actually getting hard frost tonight...glad i moved them to the garage...i am in the middle of summer light transiton which includes growing stuff inside for veg.

May 24 weekend they go outside.... Romas...Early Girls..Oplakas...and Bourghe Principe
Habeneros....jalapenos...cayennes and anheims...
2 different yellow and fordhook zuchs
Double Yield hybrid cukes...and various squashes

My god..i love the smell of earth in the morning...it smells like VICTORY

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Everything’s looking pretty good so far. I have a couple of cucumber and zucchini seeds that didn’t sprout so I just showed a couple more cucumber seeds and decided to sow some yellow squash seeds where the 2 zucchini seeds didn’t sprout. The strawberries and cabbage are really taking off though.

IMG_3967.jpeg
IMG_3965.jpeg
IMG_3966.jpeg

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
I really need to plan out irrigation for our garden. A month without rain and the temps have been in the 80s for the last 12 days. I regret cutting the grass last week.

On the bright side (hopefully) I sowed some bell pepper seeds I got from my wife's grandmother and I abandoned them after a few weeks of nothing. I was cleaning up my garden workspace and lifted a mushroom container off the jiffy seed starters and found two sprouts.
20230602_113320.jpg

Threw them in a big pot covered them with a Walmart bag and put them in the shade outside to warm up. These are going to be babied like a mofo. Fingers crossed.

Forked a section along the fence inside the garden on both sides for sunflowers, melons and corn
20230602_113427.jpg

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
I really need to plan out irrigation for our garden. A month without rain and the temps have been in the 80s for the last 12 days. I regret cutting the grass last week.

On the bright side (hopefully) I sowed some bell pepper seeds I got from my wife's grandmother and I abandoned them after a few weeks of nothing. I was cleaning up my garden workspace and lifted a mushroom container off the jiffy seed starters and found two sprouts.
View attachment 128307

Threw them in a big pot covered them with a Walmart bag and put them in the shade outside to warm up. These are going to be babied like a mofo. Fingers crossed.

Forked a section along the fence inside the garden on both sides for sunflowers, melons and corn
View attachment 128308
Badass looking place u got there by the looks.... We are trying to find our forever place as we speak and it's hard to do so...
Love to b in country away from people.... Lol

Btw, did u ever start your world record pumpkin quest with your kids yet? Think it was u that mentioned that... B Kool to watch imo...
✌

Last edited:

sandman83

Super Active Member
Squash Vine Borer got my plants =/ Tomatoes are still producing cherries and need some support though! Wasn't really counting on a massive rain storm so will just keep trying on the ol' backyard garden.

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
Badass looking place u got there by the looks.... We are trying to find our forever place as we speak and it's hard to do so...
Love to b in country away from people.... Lol

Btw, did u ever start your world record pumpkin quest with your kids yet? Think it was u that mentioned that... B Kool to watch imo...
✌
Thanks vato. This will be year four at our place and building an empire is an endeavor that's for sure. Good luck with your search.

On Monday, the kiddo and I planted five more seed direct into future tree plots to put in work for me.
We watered them in and covered the spot with a couple hunks of rotting wood to keep the area moist.
20230602_135126.jpg
We check in the morning and evening. It's been dry so the plan is to use the wood to protect the sprouts but try not to smother them.

I plugged in two trees thinking they were goners and they pushed out some new growth (at the very bottom of course). I don't know if it's worth keeping them in prime real estate at that stage.
20230602_134252.jpg
20230602_134156.jpg

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
20230602_145837.jpg
20230602_145848.jpg

Tomatoes, peppers and sweet onion starts. Also trying to make my own slips. Probably too late for the potatoes but the experience is worth it.

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
Thanks vato. This will be year four at our place and building an empire is an endeavor that's for sure. Good luck with your search.

On Monday, the kiddo and I planted five more seed direct into future tree plots to put in work for me.
We watered them in and covered the spot with a couple hunks of rotting wood to keep the area moist.
View attachment 128311
We check in the morning and evening. It's been dry so the plan is to use the wood to protect the sprouts but try not to smother them.

I plugged in two trees thinking they were goners and they pushed out some new growth (at the very bottom of course). I don't know if it's worth keeping them in prime real estate at that stage.
View attachment 128312
View attachment 128313
Right on Fidd,
I like the gently laying peice wood over top of em idea, if it's dry there too.. Same here, it's been a couple weeks since any rain..
Them huge pumpkin seeds can get real pricey from the little I've researched online bout em....
Gonna b Kool to watch..
Thx

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
Hoping to get this pack to sprout something. The last pack only had one that stunted and didn't push any more growth (kinda like a Raspberry Boogie sprout I have right now).

The Wallace Whoppers are about $15 a pack. My guess is they are his floor sweepings/bulk seed. If nothing pops this time we are dropping a pack of Big Maxx and our heirloom project seeds

D

Deleted member 2835

This is my 30' x 30' -ish spot that I have been building and working the soil on. I want a vegetable jungle, and if I can't eat or can it all or give it away to neighbors it'll be great compost for next year. The upper left part by the boulder is excavated and worked but raw year one soil. I have random stuff there like celery, sweet potatoes, and some oriental green I can't pronounce.

Upper right is all hot peppers. the lower half has assorted tomatoes and some sweet peppers that I will string up from the clothes lines instead of using cages. The center line under the clotheslines is bush beans and peas. There are climbing beans and peas along every fence, and a row of baby corn. Clover and assorted cover crop instead of weeding, and the walkways are where I dispose of my shredded shipping boxes. I have some bird-seed/pollenator attractor plants all around, and will be sticking stuff I have started inside wherever it will fit.

The ancient oak log top right behind the mulberry tree was growing where the bare spot for the garden is. The stump is under the lower right clothesline and about 8' in diameter, ground to the previous ground level. I have about a foot of soil over it now. And that is a peach tree top center that I pruned back last fall.
View attachment 127204
Supposedly you can get high as bird pussy off of not ripe mulberries

D

Deleted member 2835

Haven't tried it personally even though I used to have a giant mulberry tree behind my old house...lemme tell you about biomass. For real though it was nothing but pure purple under that tree.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@MisterKister I have several on my property now that I have identified them. One is about 40' tall and 8" diameter and basically a tree with very little fruit. The berries that do fall are huge. That one by the garden I removed everything growing vertical and it's fruiting like mad this year. They taste kind of bland if they get dark purple-ripe, but at deep red they have a nice tartness and flavor.

D

Deleted member 2835

You need to eat them or make tea out of them when they're still white/yellow