D.I.Y. 200W CITIZEN COB LED BUILD

Heathenraider

Heathen Basterd
So if a guy wanted to run 8 of these 1212 36V cobs what dimmable driver would be needed to power it ? I can get 4000k cobs for $9 a piece . Would 8 of them in a 3x3 area 4000k do the job?

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
So if a guy wanted to run 8 of these 1212 36V cobs what dimmable driver would be needed to power it ? I can get 4000k cobs for $9 a piece . Would 8 of them in a 3x3 area 4000k do the job?
8 of them at 50W ea. would do very well to flower in a 3x3. Would put you at approx 45W per sq ft. Certainly nothing to sneeze at. Let me check some specs on drivers and I'll get back to you on a model/price comparison.

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
So after looking at wattages/FV etc, there seems to be a bit of a price difference between this 480W model that would run all 8 on one driver, & put you at approx 60W per cob (cheapest Ive found is $122 +shipping for this model). Heres a link for the driver...but not the cheaper "$122" one I found earlier.

Theres also this 200W driver @ $50.95 free shipping in US. You would need 2, but two of them would still be cheaper than the single 480W driver listed above. Wire them to one AC power source to control all 8 cobs on one plug @ 50W per COB (4 cobs per driver).

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
Im over year three with my first COB build and it works like I made it last night. Not out of the ordinary to see cob lights run efficiently go 5+ years of maintenance free growing. They are stated to lose less than 3% of their initial lumen output over that amount of time as well.....so virtually no lumen loss and no expensive bulb changes. Between that, efficiency, and the reduction of HVAC costs, the light literally pays for itself within a couple years or less.

Heathenraider

Heathen Basterd
So after looking at wattages/FV etc, there seems to be a bit of a price difference between this 480W model that would run all 8 on one driver, & put you at approx 60W per cob (cheapest Ive found is $122 +shipping for this model). Heres a link for the driver...but not the cheaper "$122" one I found earlier.

Theres also this 200W driver @ $50.95 free shipping in US. You would need 2, but two of them would still be cheaper than the single 480W driver listed above. Wire them to one AC power source to control all 8 cobs on one plug @ 50W per COB (4 cobs per driver).
It's my understanding that if ran in series I could even add lights later and run them all at lower capacity each with the bigger driver ?

Heathenraider

Heathen Basterd
Im over year three with my first COB build and it works like I made it last night. Not out of the ordinary to see cob lights run efficiently go 5+ years of maintenance free growing. They are stated to lose less than 3% of their initial lumen output over that amount of time as well.....so virtually no lumen loss and no expensive bulb changes. Between that, efficiency, and the reduction of HVAC costs, the light literally pays for itself within a couple years or less.
What spectrum You running , I can get 4000k cheap but 2700, 3000,3500 are sold out or twice the price

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
I use 3500K 80CRI on my Cree CXB3070's and 4000K 90CRI on my 1212's. The 4000K still flowers just fine. The ones left at cobkits are the 90CRI I believe so if you get the 4000K they will be closer on the red spectrum than if you got 4000K 80CRI.

shimz

vapest
I like series too. While the voltages are higher you can do long runs with thinner wire if you want to remote mount your drivers.

One way to get around the cascading failure is to put more than just a few cobs in parallel. The more you hook up the more they share the load if one does fail.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
If it's set up right that won't happen. I run a series parallel option on my light bars. Either 6 cob series circuit can handle full load of the driver if one of the parallels failed for some reason. When ran in parallel they just run at half power.
They're run off of either 1 or 2 drivers depending on my light needs. Both drivers are mean well 480C-2100A models. They pull 540 watts each at the wall all out turned up.

In a single series they pull about 85 watts at each cob with driver maxed out. A high load on them but within the spec sheet safe parameters chart. My light bar cooling is way overkill to handle the heat of them running so hard, so I'm good there too.

Ran in a parallel of 2 series they get 45 ish watts each cob, total of 12 cobs. Runs alot cooler at the lower power setting, but I lose my spread from the lights having to be closer.

Right now I have my bars at 22" or so, and running at 400 watts each off of their own drivers. I plan to build 2 more of them, lol.
Great fucking idea!
I get my qb132's todayyyyy!!!
A pic of my rig, and thanks to @HydroRed for telling ke it was dollar burn in the second pic.
I asked my grow buddy who confirmed in fact it was.
Beginner error.

Attachments

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
I like designing lights, it's a good time. Lol. I'll put a light wiring diagram together for what you're wanting to achieve with drivers listed and such. Just cause I like doing that stuff, and if it helps you then awesome, if not then I had fun working it up. Lol. If you like it then build it lol. I'll do a couple different options of how it could be done.
Please do. Thanks. My boards are waiting to be hooked in series. I got the 240h instead of the 320 like u. I just took hlgs recommendation instead of researching first. Oops. For 15-20$ more I couldve gotten the 320 model and niy have to run the driver at full capacity to run the qb's @ 60w each.

Heathenraider

Heathen Basterd
Ok, home now from work. Been thinking on this some.
So I've got a couple of ways it could be setup. Some cost more, some less. $94 up to $122 for the drivers depending on which you'd want to go with. Plus shipping, tax etc.(not sure on that to canada) Plus the 8 ($80 ish) cobs. Plus heatsinks ($160 ish) and holders ($25 ish) if you want them.
So figure max parts cost at $387 plus frame part costs and shipping etc.

Now a few questions.

-So you want it only for a 3x3 flower right? Or is the plan to expand it down the road? Can be done to be expandable down the road by adding more cobs if the flower room grows and or ran softer to be more efficient.
- What kind of heat issues if any do you have? As in how soft do you want them running?
-How much height above canopy would you keep them? Are you height restricted?
-How many watts per ft are you aiming for?
-How easy do you want to be able to dim it if at all?
Turpman doing the build but... To answer the light staying in 3x 3 , no need to expand, height restricted at 6 ft for where this build will run , get hot as fuck in building but have AC in building and fans in tents, no clue on watts per ft, want it to outperform a 400hps in tent and be cooler , electric bill no consideration , want the dimming open tent and easily adjust , I am a princess that way, would like to be able to get lights late in grow 12-16 inches from top of plants if doable