CloningTips And Tricks

Waxman420

My dwc cloner has been awful i read somewhere on here there is a plate you have to take off the motor , so i got my screw driver and there it is!!!
View attachment 2769
That could be my problem ya think !!! Wish me luck been running bleach for 2 days now time to take some clones.
I HAVE ROOTS i added a heatmat snd thermostat as temp was a tad chilly but ya problem solved with my dwc cloner ecstatic!!!

LowriderJones

Personally, I don't like to overcomplicate things. I take cuts, scrape only the skin off from the bottom 1/2" of the stem with a clean razor blade (be delicate), and dip them in root tech cloning gel, then stick em in rapid rooter plugs, and into a cloning tray. I place them under florescent light. I feed them tap that's at ph 6.

I find the root tech gel to be extremely effective, I have almost 100% success with this method, and have done it with 20-30 different strains over quite a few years. I don't even bother with the humidity dome, or misting or whatever else. I find this process to be quite simple and very effective. Personally I find I have a much more predictable result when I use the root tech, as opposed to clonex, etc....also fun note: I found an old container of root tech from at least 5yrs ago, decided to try rooting a few for fun to see if it was still any good. While the solution had thinned and gotten more watery, it was still effective! Haha I thought that was at least worth a mention. Hope this helps someone! 🤙

cedew

I use a slightly modified version my buddy's method, which is to cut a 45 with a sharp razor and lightly shave the sides like the above poster, then dip in rooting gel, then in mykos, then into rockwool soaked in ph'ed 1/4 strength nutes, crack the dome vent, put the light up close at 18/6 and basically do nothing for two weeks, then they're ready to go.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think a common theme is what to do with the stem. I cut mine off the plant as low as possible (no "zones") and stick them right into whatever water is on hand. No air bubbles in the stem. I do any leaf trimming or messing with the top first

After that I worry about where to actually cut. If there is only a node and the top above where I cut I clone the stem. I do several razor cuts on the stem, just tapping it really, but enough to break the outer dermis. If there are 2 nodes or more (rare) I clone at the lowest node. I leave about a half inch of stem below it that I treat the same as the "stem" clone, but I want to bury the node, Stuff will grow from there easy, whether it's roots or flowers. I don't worry as much about the scuffing with a razor but I still do it.

I use the Oasis horticubes, but have used soil and root-riots too. For any type of plug, I don't waste much effort on what I do to the naked stem. Most of that stuff you put on it is gonna get scraped off and be in a little ring around the stem on the top of the plug. After mutilation I dip the stem it the generic rooting hormones from the big box store ($4.99/jar) and that's it for the stem. I use the red gel Clonex, but I put 1/2ml of it in the cube-hole instead of dipping the stem in it.

Everything else is watering/keeping it humid, etc.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
What about the frequency of watering?
I used rapid rooters and Rockwool. Depending on the season ive had 50-75% success. With a dome.
In summer its tough to keep em moist and happy. I dont get to my room twice a day like I wish I could
Thw aero cloner for me. Set it and forget it

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
What about the frequency of watering?
I used rapid rooters and Rockwool. Depending on the season ive had 50-75% success. With a dome.
In summer its tough to keep em moist and happy. I dont get to my room twice a day like I wish I could
Thw aero cloner for me. Set it and forget it
I'm a bean grower. Clones do not get extra equipment except a dome. I don't use a heat mat any more unless it's the dead of winter and the night temps are getting super low. That said, if I take them I obviously want them to grow, but I am usually taking a bunch to keep one or two. Don't need a big success rate, that's more of an personal satisfaction thing. Actually, my clones are just for extra smoke so I usually beat the hell out of them to see what survives and keep the best.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
I'm a bean grower. Clones do not get extra equipment except a dome. I don't use a heat mat any more unless it's the dead of winter and the night temps are getting super low. That said, if I take them I obviously want them to grow, but I am usually taking a bunch to keep one or two. Don't need a big success rate, that's more of an personal satisfaction thing. Actually, my clones are just for extra smoke so I usually beat the hell out of them to see what survives and keep the best.
That said. Cuta are expensive and I'll legal.... I'd like to keep my elites at all cost$

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I do like the stem scraping idea and will probably try the next time I feel the urge to take clones.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
That said. Cuta are expensive and I'll legal.... I'd like to keep my elites at all cost$
I dig that - and if I was a breeder I agree 100%. Here's an example for me though. I grew a Momma Moonshine from @Mysturis420 and loved it. Really dank raspberry/armpit smell and a great buzz. I like it and am getting low, so I have been dropping a bean or two every other drop but getting males. I have half a dozen beans left, so the next girl I get I'll clone. Just to get extra smoke. If it's a strain I realy like I'll keep more clones and get more bulk. But I am not making beans. When they are gone they are gone. If I miss it I'll try and get more beans. But there is so much fire out there I don't want to miss out on one thing while cloning on another.

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
-Take the number of cuts I want plus one or two extra just in case.
-Cut at a 45 and dip in clonex.
- Split open a root riot plug like Pacman and clamp around the cutting with the taper pointing up.
-Place in the plug tray to keep the plug closed (the plug will be sticking halfway up to make it easier spray and see when you get roots)
-Cover with a dome.
-Tell them Daddy loves them.

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
Been having good luck rooting with aloe which contains 75 potentially active constituents: vitamins, enzymes, minerals, sugars, lignin, saponins, salicylic acids and amino acids. Use virgin coco pumice mix or put straight in the soil. Only failures I have now are too small of a cutting or natural selection.

Attachments

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
Hunza Valley and Chem Fuego cuts...My cloning preference is to mildly scrape 2 sides of the cut intersecting the leaf terminals. I dont do a 45* on the end but slice it down the middle doubling the rooting surface area. Using a chop stick force the gel into the plug then insert the cut into the plug upside down 1/4" before bottoming the plug out which creates more air flow when seated in the tray and applies more pressure to the sides of the plug. If the thickness of the cut is smaller than the hole use scraps of the rooting plug/rockwool using the chop stick to tighten things up.

20210319_182856.jpg20210319_190945.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Aerocloner 15 on / 15 off. Get roots faster in summer when water temps are about 29C. Straight tap, no ph, no clonex etc. If they root before the tray is ready I just put some veg nutes in there to start them vegging. Splash of H2O2 a couple times per week (so I dont have to change the res as I am lazy).

I would say 90% succes rate over a number of years. I always take a few extra and usually compost a bunch.
I do this almost exactly the same way and it's 95% take or better. 15 on and 15 off.............it's in a cold area so I have a 25 watt aquarium heater in in. I just made a new aero cloner recently, but the original one from the cooler works better.

The new one was from a Craftsman 12 gallon tote
IMG_20201212_110558076.jpgIMG_20201212_105747284.jpg

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I do this almost exactly the same way and it's 95% take or better. 15 on and 15 off.............it's in a cold area so I have a 25 watt aquarium heater in in. I just made a new aero cloner recently, but the original one from the cooler works better.

The new one was from a Craftsman 12 gallon tote
View attachment 86357View attachment 86358
You don’t even have to go 15 min on. I do 30 seconds on 15 minutes off and found it works just as well.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
Cut at 45 into water with light azos. Dip in heavy azos and ro water combo. Very little water so it sticks on. Straight into coco. Maintain moisture in coco with ro water in a spray bottle mister etc. Very easy. Failure rate non existent for large snips to 1 node chodes. Cloned a bunch in shot glass solos with coco to see how it works and it worked very well. I imagine you could fit a ass ton of cuts in those and not worry bout them growing out the roof before a hunt is over.