Briscos Bargain Beans

Whip Eurass

Super Active Member
Freebie seeds are definitely valuable IMO. It depends what the freebie is, but for people like me who don't have a ton of cash to spend on seeds, it's definitely a nice addition. The one thing I don't care for is unmarked strains. I got a freebie pack of unlabeled seeds from green rebel farms in my last order from DCSE. I'm not sure if I'll ever pop them. I have a limited number of plants I can grow at one time so I like to hit on every one I do decide to grow
Very good point that I agree with. I give a lot of consideration to every seed I pop. I've got a collection of seeds that for one reason or another got away from the original flock - regs and fems, mystery dads [randon undetected sac etc.}. It doesn't seen right just to toss them, but I don't see a big value in freebies or a contest prize even if they're all from quality batches of beans.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
Very good point that I agree with. I give a lot of consideration to every seed I pop. I've got a collection of seeds that for one reason or another got away from the original flock - regs and fems, mystery dads [randon undetected sac etc.}. It doesn't seen right just to toss them, but I don't see a big value in freebies or a contest prize even if they're all from quality batches of beans.
I got about fifty fems from over the years from seedsupreme. They used to just send random fems smh. Wtf am I supposed to do w em .

TitoM

Super Active Member
Hope everyone is have a good Sunday. Update time on my 2 purple banana cake and southern orange.
Both of the pbc had very little stretch but look to be ahead and flowering they're also showing some nice Frost no real smell yet but it's still early. 20200823_091427.jpg20200823_091442.jpg20200823_091419.jpg20200823_091503.jpg
The southern orange had what I would consider a normal stretch she is a little behind on the flowering but not much on the frost. As u can see She didn't like the heat wave we got.20200823_091335.jpg20200823_091546.jpg

baldmountain

Super Active Member
How valuable are add ons to you when you consider making a seed buy?
I don't consider the add-ons when when choosing a pack to buy, but I do like getting them. If they are an unlabeled random seed then I'm not likely going to do anything with them, but if it is from a reputable breeder I'll usually try and grow one with whatever else I'm growing. Like others have mentioned I can only grow a certain number of plants so I have to choose carefully. Sometimes the add-on seed is one of the better plants of the grow. And I figure if a breeder is willing to put their name on a pack of add-ons, it's going to be a decent plant. There is too much to risk putting your name on something that is garbage.

The question I'd have for the breeders is how do you choose to make a strain a freebie vs. a main offering? Is it a good plant, but not quite as good as you hoped? Does it just take a bit longer to finish than customers will accept (which shouldn't matter.) Does it have too much variability in the phenotype expressions? Or is it something else?

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
I don't consider the add-ons when when choosing a pack to buy, but I do like getting them. If they are an unlabeled random seed then I'm not likely going to do anything with them, but if it is from a reputable breeder I'll usually try and grow one with whatever else I'm growing. Like others have mentioned I can only grow a certain number of plants so I have to choose carefully. Sometimes the add-on seed is one of the better plants of the grow. And I figure if a breeder is willing to put their name on a pack of add-ons, it's going to be a decent plant. There is too much to risk putting your name on something that is garbage.

The question I'd have for the breeders is how do you choose to make a strain a freebie vs. a main offering? Is it a good plant, but not quite as good as you hoped? Does it just take a bit longer to finish than customers will accept (which shouldn't matter.) Does it have too much variability in the phenotype expressions? Or is it something else?
It's older stock and alot of grade b beans in my experience. Which is understandable to an established co. But these new breeders need to get stuff into people's tents . Should give stuff that they want to get into the public. If I eventually do it I will be giving as many as possible. 😎

Whip Eurass

Super Active Member
The first freebies I gave away were f2s I made of seeds that I thought were discontinued by the maker, who then decided they were not discontinued.

The next were Orgi F2s that I had a huge amount from the pollination, and a lot of F1s had been sold. Copper Raspberries were next, and used because they sold very slowly when initially released and I had quite a few.

Citrus Blast was made specifically to be a freebie strain.

I'm about to send the next reg drop to DCSE with two fem seeds attached - Cob's Copper Candy [ last of these] - simply because I have nothing else left. I always liked getting bonus seeds, but I've often bought packs when none were offered.

It's older stock and alot of grade b beans in my experience.
Maybe if they come from a big seed bank, but it would be foolish imo to send out subpar seeds with a brand name on them, free or not. I got 4 TGA seeds from Attitude a decade ago, which resulted in me buying at least a dozen TGA packs because of the great plants I got free.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
The first freebies I gave away were f2s I made of seeds that I thought were discontinued by the maker, who then decided they were not discontinued.

The next were Orgi F2s that I had a huge amount from the pollination, and a lot of F1s had been sold. Copper Raspberries were next, and used because they sold very slowly when initially released and I had quite a few.

Citrus Blast was made specifically to be a freebie strain.

I'm about to send the next reg drop to DCSE with two fem seeds attached - Cob's Copper Candy [ last of these] - simply because I have nothing else left. I always liked getting bonus seeds, but I've often bought packs when none were offered.

Maybe if they come from a big seed bank, but it would be foolish imo to send out subpar seeds with a brand name on them, free or not. I got 4 TGA seeds from Attitude a decade ago, which resulted in me buying at least a dozen TGA packs because of the great plants I got free.
That's how it should be.