Bonsai Mothers and Root Pruning

yougrowyourway

illgrowmyway
Starting my bonsai mother tent. Gonna do hydro for now until I can figure out soil. Got a QB 65 and 36x20x60 tent for them...reading about bonsai all these years then seeing what you have going helped me pull the trigger on doing it. Especially since I have some more ladies definitely worth keeping with my blueberry.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Starting my bonsai mother tent. Gonna do hydro for now until I can figure out soil. Got a QB 65 and 36x20x60 tent for them...reading about bonsai all these years then seeing what you have going helped me pull the trigger on doing it. Especially since I have some more ladies definitely worth keeping with my blueberry.
Im thinking I’m gonna do the bonsai mothers as well. I’ve been looking at those three chamber tents. One of the small sections for the mothers, one small section for cloning and the large section for vegging, and I would use my current tent as the flower tent.

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Soil is very easy by the way. They just need ewc to stay healthy ime. That tent should be enough and you really dont need much light. I run 25 watts or so of leds in this 2x2x2. Well i’m glad i helped incentivise you to try it. :)

crimsonecho

Im thinking I’m gonna do the bonsai mothers as well. I’ve been looking at those three chamber tents. One of the small sections for the mothers, one small section for cloning and the large section for vegging, and I would use my current tent as the flower tent.
Thats very nice. I always wanted one of those chambered tents. It just makes sense keeping everything tidy and together. Another space saver imo.

yougrowyourway

illgrowmyway
I love secret jardins tents.

crimsonecho

4179EE21-E700-4D43-A7E9-B5D9261E5855.jpegB253C613-934D-497A-B3B0-DAF7DF716623.jpeg

Ok here is an update on the mothers and new clones. I moved them under floros because i needed the mini tent for the solo cup plant. Well anyway i’m doing 4hrs on/ 4hrs off for these gals now. It saves electricity and helps with the heat. Its been about a week, no signs of any problems yet. I got clones flowering at 16/8. Blueberry #3 did that for example and now its revegging again. So i’m trying 4/4 now.

crimsonecho

4/4 is going great. No ill effects. Again i moved them to the tent. Which is actually not ideal. The leds are too close and they just explode with growth, get too close, without feeding, they exhibit symptoms of various deficiencies. We are not there yet. Also gave them a good pruning.

09E3283E-72DF-4C31-9CB1-2F282B3037FD.jpeg

crimsonecho

4/4 cycle is still going strong. No adverse effects on the bonsai mothers. They don’t grow too much and they don’t go into flower either. Just chilling and doing their thing. So this light schedule might be perfect for bonsai mothers. I have to keep them at this and establish the long term effects, if there are any.

I do pruning bi-weekly maybe. To tops come off to keep them from growing into the light. Light is a cheap pcb board for a wallwasher unit. Unknown diodes and all that. 25w. It suffices.

68A97197-E842-4F9F-AEAA-52AA8A2EFB73.jpeg

Gweedo

PICK YOUR OWN
Man glad i found this im currently trying to get 4 of these bonsai moms going as we speak, got one rooting over from a hydro clone its a chem91, did another yesterday from a rooted cherry pie clone, and currently waiting on a GSC to take root so i can get it potted up, im gonna be bugging you come pruning time for sure, i always hate trying out brand new techniques i second guess myself way too much 🤔🤔🤔

crimsonecho

Man glad i found this im currently trying to get 4 of these bonsai moms going as we speak, got one rooting over from a hydro clone its a chem91, did another yesterday from a rooted cherry pie clone, and currently waiting on a GSC to take root so i can get it potted up, im gonna be bugging you come pruning time for sure, i always hate trying out brand new techniques i second guess myself way too much 🤔🤔🤔
Nice line up man. Its no bother. The technique is pretty simple and effective but i’d be happy to help if you need anything.

crimsonecho

Looking fine in a bigger tent! Finaly got rid of that tent shaped tent. Hahah.

No adverse effects from 4/4 still. They all look healthy and i had clones in there waiting to root. 4/4 had no detrimental effects on the rooting process either. These 3 on the front rooted in a week. 2 discarded cuts had white bumps but i only needed 3.

So it seems 4/4 works for cloning also.

I can fit 42 bonsai mothers total in this 2x2. I keep 2-3 of each. Thats a whole lot of fire in a tiny tent.

4A994152-2459-4623-8DBC-E86FC12B9B70.jpegAD2C7F33-F57A-47A1-958D-9A0E081F5AE2.jpeg

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Looking fine in a bigger tent! Finaly got rid of that tent shaped tent. Hahah.

No adverse effects from 4/4 still. They all look healthy and i had clones in there waiting to root. 4/4 had no detrimental effects on the rooting process either. These 3 on the front rooted in a week. 2 discarded cuts had white bumps but i only needed 3.

So it seems 4/4 works for cloning also.

I can fit 42 bonsai mothers total in this 2x2. I keep 2-3 of each. Thats a whole lot of fire in a tiny tent.

View attachment 17993View attachment 17994
What light are you running in that 2x2?

crimsonecho

What light are you running in that 2x2?
These have been under 30 watts of the shittiest leds you can find man. The fixture was so cheap it was basically free. No name SMDs which runs at 220v. Driverless. No heatsink. Gets hotter than the sun. I actually hate it. They flicker, they have a galling green hue to them etc etc. But they work for now.

It has been a couple of weeks under these already and what i like about this light is that the plants don’t really grow under it. They just stay alive. Which is better for bonsai. But i’m gonna upgrade soon. I’m thinking led t5s or something similar. Again at 30 watts or something.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
These have been under 30 watts of the shittiest leds you can find man. The fixture was so cheap it was basically free. No name SMDs which runs at 220v. Driverless. No heatsink. Gets hotter than the sun. I actually hate it. They flicker, they have a galling green hue to them etc etc. But they work for now.

It has been a couple of weeks under these already and what i like about this light is that the plants don’t really grow under it. They just stay alive. Which is better for bonsai. But i’m gonna upgrade soon. I’m thinking led t5s or something similar. Again at 30 watts or something.
I still want one of those three chamber tents. I was looking at the sun blaster led’s for the mother and clone areas and some cheapo led for the veg area.

crimsonecho

I still want one of those three chamber tents. I was looking at the sun blaster led’s for the mother and clone areas and some cheapo led for the veg area.
Well thats your call of course. But 30 watts of the worst leds out there can do this. Not bad. For bonsai not bad at all. I run about 50 in the veg area (2x2). Better light on that side. One pcb at 50w mounted on a heatsink. Works well. Good amount of light is being produced on that side. So its all about the quality of the thing.

Again tho, i don’t need bonsai to grow vigorously. I just need them to stay alive. So lower wattage is better as long as i can keep them healthy.