Bonsai Mothers and Root Pruning

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Thanks crimson. Some things I'll just go for it but with others, when I have limited opportunities (as in one shot), I am more apprehensive.
Yeah man i get. There is no worse feeling than losing a cut forever. So by any means just do what you are comfortable with and you’ll see it’s very easy to take care of these gals. But better to be safe than sorry. Haha.

crimsonecho

Hey @CrimsonEcho these are pretty damn solid. Smaller than I imagined but I think they'll work. 2.75" x 3.25"
View attachment 23409
Squeezing them pretty hard and they barely even flex! No Chinese resin smell either.
Yeah it looks like they are made from high quality material and i’m sure those will work. At worst you may have to transplant a little more frequently but it’ll probably be fine. Keep us updated and welcome to the space saving world of bonsai. Haha.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Yeah it looks like they are made from high quality material and i’m sure those will work. At worst you may have to transplant a little more frequently but it’ll probably be fine. Keep us updated and welcome to the space saving world of bonsai. Haha.
I was under the impression that I would keep and train them in this pot?

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Yeah man you are gonna but after a couple of months it’s good to pull them out, give them a root pruning and transplant into fresh soil. You will use the same pots. Sorry if there was any confusion. Hahah.
Ahhh gotcha lol. Do the 4 side shave again in a couple months. Aren't these the size you have? I hope I didn't get the wrong one where I end up spending too much time maintaining.

crimsonecho

Ahhh gotcha lol. Do the 4 side shave again in a couple months. Aren't these the size you have? I hope I didn't get the wrong one where I end up spending too much time maintaining.
Yeah same size. I haven’t caught that the first time. Haven’t done the conversion before replying. Lol. But what i meant was you may have to do more maintenance compared to a bigger pot. But no those are what i use and they work well for me.

crimsonecho

They do seem kinda small. Crimson thinks they'll work though and he is a bonsai pro 😀
Hahha. Yeah they do bro. Keep an eye on them and prune and shape. If you let them grow as they please for too long they will become very unruly. That apical dominance must be broken by topping frequently.

But yeah small pots are ok. I’ve even kept them in smaller pots. Like 2” square airpots. They were drying out too much and i was transplanting too frequently so switched back to these.

crimsonecho

They seem small at 2.75 x 2.75. I think I might get the 3.5 x 3.5. Not the same brand though so they may be thinner plastic.
They will live and thrive in both of those pots. As long as there is a bit of soil plants will stay alive and that’s the main thing imo. Vigorous growth is for when they are in bigger pots and under stronger lights. This is just a “statis pod” for my genetics in my grow schedule.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
They will live and thrive in both of those pots. As long as there is a bit of soil plants will stay alive and that’s the main thing imo. Vigorous growth is for when they are in bigger pots and under stronger lights. This is just a “statis pod” for my genetics in my grow schedule.
Yeah I’m sure both will work, but the larger pots will need less attention for watering.