Are tinctures any good?

TheSpaceFarm

DopeCaveDave
Try yer rosin. Still tastes gnarly at high doses....but I made 20mg cookies for a friend and ate a few and they hardly had any taste of ganja at all.... seriously fun shit for those boring, upcoming Holiday parties......heehee....
Yea I might try pressing all the shit I would normally make edibles with and use that rosin instead. I can’t justify using the high quality rosin for that stuff lol I like smoking way too much haha

curious2garden

Really Active Member
Question for @curious2garden and other big brains(that's meant as a compliment, btw):

For those of us who don't seem to get an effect from edibles due to the lack of a particular enzyme in the stomach, could sublingual consumption of tinctures be the solution? Does the direct to bloodstream absorption allow for proper THC uptake?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Thank you for the compliment, Saboo! It was very kind.

The bottom line: there is much that we don't know about how Cannabis is metabolized. So we have to generalize from the pharmacology of other natural-sourced drugs and their mixtures.
Opium, for example, has different effects than its purified components, such as morphine.

Cannabis is also a mixture of the known active THC and other terpenoids whose pharmacology, both individually and as a mixture, do not have much published research. So the entourage effect that we get with opium or Cannabis is real, but poorly described.

The other big variable is mode of administration. Smoking vs. taking a decarbed edible are different paths into the body and brain. The liver is the site of its metabolism. An edible has to transit the liver, and much of THC and probably its terpene co-drugs will be reduced or changed in ratio. Smoking is a different way in with different effects.

Then there is the vehicle. Oil and alcohol are seen differently by the body. They activate different parts of the liver's machinery, so you can have different drug levels, ratios and timecourses, all of which can change what it does to/for you.

This is some educated speculation on how smoked weed and edible do probably take a different trip through the team of enzymes responsible, and why a joint might get you high where an edible does not.

To answer your questions, "For those of us who don't seem to get an effect from edibles due to the lack of a particular enzyme in the stomach, could sublingual consumption of tinctures be the solution? Does the direct to bloodstream absorption allow for proper THC uptake?"

A Qwiso tincture swallowed, absorbed sublingually or in the buccal mucosa will have more of an alcohol metabolic pathway than an oil based concentrate that will take a primarily lipid based pathway. Therefore if you are falling afoul of your liver's extremely efficient first pass system, which hits the liver first you may well find an alcohol based concentrate effective.

I hope that was helpful and accessible.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I know the quantities involved are minimal, but when the alcohol evaporates, you are left with whatever that 8% or 10% of non-alcohol liquid was. Wood juice or grain juice, and one doesn't say "poison" on the bottle.

Saboo the Shaman

Really Active Member
Thanks for the responses, especially @curious2garden for spending the time typing that and educating me. I will experiment with alcohol based tinctures.

@H.A.F. you are correct, a high proof booze like Everclear or other safe-for-consumption alcohol is required for edible tinctures. C2G may have unintentionally misspoken as the acronym QWISO does refer to ISOpropyl which should not be consumed.

Well, I now have a new avenue to explore. I may yet get high from edibles.

Thanks again.

curious2garden

Really Active Member
I assume you are talking isopropyl alcohol? If you are making oil to dab, I don't think it matters, but if you are ingesting, spend the extra $$ and get some Everclear. Still 90% alcohol (compared to 92% iso) but it is designed for ingestion. No bad juju coming in with the good.
You can choose to use either in the extraction as you want that to completely evaporate so you can weigh your extract and then use Everclear 90% to dilute to a known strength. So if someone feels better using Everclear initially that works great, good point.

Last edited:

curious2garden

Really Active Member
Thanks for the responses, especially @curious2garden for spending the time typing that and educating me. I will experiment with alcohol based tinctures.

@H.A.F. you are correct, a high proof booze like Everclear or other safe-for-consumption alcohol is required for edible tinctures. C2G may have unintentionally misspoken as the acronym QWISO does refer to ISOpropyl which should not be consumed.

Well, I now have a new avenue to explore. I may yet get high from edibles.

Thanks again.
Thanks Saboo, I didn't mispeak. I meant using 91% Isopropyl Alcohol because it evaporates completely without residue. There's no danger to use it for the extraction. But like I said if you feel better using Everclear use what you feel better with. It hurts me to waste something that expensive.

I'm not @icebear but I did have to do a a lot of undergraduate and some applied graduate chemistry in my field(s) so I'm comfortable with my process.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
You can choose to use either in the extraction as you want that to completely evaporate so you can weigh your extract and then use Everyclear 90% to dilute to a known strength. So if someone feels better using Everclear initially that works great, good point.
For edibles you cannot do either. Only the alcohol evaporates. Isopropyl is 92% alcohol. if you leave it out it completely evaporates, but if you let it do that in a glass it will leave a residue.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
And the bottle says "External use only, do not ingest"

Wood alcohol was one of the things making people go blind during prohibition. Either straight or using it to cut bootleg liquor, it's is bad stuff. IMHO it is nothing to mess around with.

curious2garden

Really Active Member
For edibles you cannot do either. Only the alcohol evaporates. Isopropyl is 92% alcohol. if you leave it out it completely evaporates, but if you let it do that in a glass it will leave a residue.
And the bottle says "External use only, do not ingest"

Wood alcohol was one of the things making people go blind during prohibition. Either straight or using it to cut bootleg liquor, it's is bad stuff. IMHO it is nothing to mess around with.
The other 9% in Isopropyl Alcohol is water. Isopropyl alcohol is volatile, once evaporated it is gone. Therefore you aren't ingesting it. Again if you feel better using Everclear, do that.

My education and experience has made me comfortable with my process (MSCS and MD) but I am not a chemist. Although this is the process my friend a Ph.D. in Biochem uses. So let's ask @icebear his Ph.D. is in Organic Chem so this is exactly in his wheelhouse.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The other 9% in Isopropyl Alcohol is water. Isopropyl alcohol is volatile, once evaporated it is gone. Therefore you aren't ingesting it. Again if you feel better using Everclear, do that.

My education and experience has made me comfortable with my process (MSCS and MD) but I am not a chemist. Although this is the process my friend a Ph.D. in Biochem uses. So let's ask @cannabineer his Ph.D. is in Organic Chem so this is exactly in his wheelhouse.
I just go by the fact that is has the poison control # on it in case you ingest it. I love your insight on this and other stuff you have taken the time to share. I just don't see any reason to chance it. Might be cumulative like mercury exposure. Might be fine.

If you have something in the alcohol interacting with it - infusing with it - does the bad stuff all evaporate? Is any encapsulated in the oil or emulsified into it? I have no clue. But your liver is a bad place to filter it out like you said - rather not :)

icebear

My education and experience has made me comfortable with my process (MSCS and MD) but I am not a chemist. Although this is the process my friend a Ph.D. in Biochem uses. So let's ask @icebear his Ph.D. is in Organic Chem so this is exactly in his wheelhouse.
I have received an anecdotal account of one person who used the standard 91% isopropyl alcohol and had a residual off flavor that resisted a vacuum purge. I suspect that the glass used was not clean.

My experience has been otherwise. I've used 91% iso to transfer an extract, and I noticed no residue by weight or by taste. In fact, I like it as a wash for my equipment. A small amount (post-evaporation) of isopropyl is not a health hazard afaik.

I will dispel another myth, which is that the water is left behind on evaporation. The 91% alcohol is what is called an azeotropic (constant-boiling) binary mixture. Thus the water it brings in is water that it'll entrain on evaporation. The exception is a cool evaporation in humid conditions, which will condense some water. But water isn't poisonous.

Last edited: