Anyone else tired of this crap?

hhibrownsbacker

Super Active Member
That was solely about schools. What if you dropped public schools to 8 years. High school is when half the kids stop giving a shit. Make it voluntary from that point on.

The problem with taxes - with no term limits - is that they keep finding more and more ways to spend those tax dollars to get votes - and collect more taxes.
So you want to allow a 8th grader to decide if he should continue with school. I cant wait to see how that turns out. Poor kid! I cant speak for other parts of the nation and compare it to yours but that doesn't change the outcome, If they feel that they are being taken advantage of and their tax dollars are being wasted, they should change the system. The only way to change the system is to vote. You just cant get what you want, when you want it, at least not in the real world.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Apprenticeships would be much more beneficial than the indoctrination they are getting now. And only students intending on certain career paths which actually require college would continue with classroom study.

And by requiring college I don't mean "it helps the resume" or because "traditionally you need a degree to advance". I mean stuff like doctors, nurses, lawyers, whatever that requires massive book-learning. If the degree gets you in the door - but you learn how it "actually works" on the job - why are you going into debt to get a degree? Because people are making money off selling degrees. And the higher they raise tuition the more the government subsidizes. Again. less government is good government.

hhibrownsbacker

Super Active Member
There would supposedly be parents involved in the decision :rolleyes: permission slips and whatnot. "Sorry, my kid has a job now" that kind of thing.
Even with the parents cooperation its a absurd idea. There is allot of screwed up parents in this world who would just go along with it to get his check if he was working. Go into the inner city or seriously rural area and see if you would trust any decision some of the adults there would make. Education is a right, you had it, I had it, probably everyone on this site had it. How is a 8th grade educated kid ever going to better himself. I guess the 4 years of savings from his lack of education will cover the years of welfare, SSI, Medicaid, food stamps, bla bla bla.

hhibrownsbacker

Super Active Member
One more thing before I call it a day. What kind of person would voluntarily allow their child to quit school after the 8th grade? Those kids would be better off in foster care.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
And imagine how much money would be bouncing around the economy if it wasn't wasted on worthless 4-year degrees, loans, tax subsidies, etc and colleges were left to survive on their own merit. Not based on subsidies.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Political science degree. Degree in literature, history, etc. unless you are going to be an educator, what value is there other than personal satisfaction for completing a task? Seen a lot of adverts for a job in the history field?

Not even getting into the weird social bullshit degrees like "gender studies".

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
College degrees are like medals in the military. They used to all have meaning. Now there are a few that do, but most are just decoration.

Highland Rogue

Really Active Member
VOTE - You want to change things, thats how you do it.
So you would have told a slave to stay on the plantation and hope people voted him to freedom then? Not to runaway or piss in his "masters" drink?

I've spent plenty of time in State houses addressing bills etc. I've PROVEN legally how they don't follow their own laws (a story for another time) Hasn't mattered. It's a fools errand. I no longer want to ask permission to live my life peacefully, frankly it's beneath me now.

People have been voting in this country for over two hundred years, how's that worked out for keeping government out of their lives?

Highland Rogue

Really Active Member
One more thing before I call it a day. What kind of person would voluntarily allow their child to quit school after the 8th grade? Those kids would be better off in foster care.
I don't mean to rude, but it sounds like you believe it's okay to impose your ideas on other people. Why?

The other side of your question might be -

What kind of person would hand their kids over to strangers for 12 years of intense indoctrination and then threaten his neighbors house if they didn't pay for those ideas even if they didn't want to ?

hhibrownsbacker

Super Active Member
Someone whose kid had an apprenticeship as a welder, mechanic, HVAC tech, etc.
So a child, 14 years old, and his so called parents are supposed to know if he wants to be a welder, mechanic, or tech, for the rest of his life. He will play hell finding a job, with his education, if it don't work out. I dont know one person who is still at his first place of employment or even in the same field. I would have been screwed if I was the kid in question. You got to feel bad for the poor kid who's stuck in the first job he ever had and cant leave because he has a 8th grade education and dont know shit other than turn a wrench, weld, or put in HVAC

hhibrownsbacker

Super Active Member
College degrees are like medals in the military. They used to all have meaning. Now there are a few that do, but most are just decoration.
You are right that some college degrees are not worth the paper they are written on. But even the worst ones, will open a door to a better job allot faster than a 8th grade education will. You put down you have a 8th grade education and your resume/job application goes in the trash.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So a child, 14 years old, and his so called parents are supposed to know if he wants to be a welder, mechanic, or tech, for the rest of his life. He will play hell finding a job, with his education, if it don't work out. I dont know one person who is still at his first place of employment or even in the same field. I would have been screwed if I was the kid in question. You got to feel bad for the poor kid who's stuck in the first job he ever had and cant leave because he has a 8th grade education and dont know shit other than turn a wrench, weld, or put in HVAC
If you have a kid that sucks at school, is good with his or her hands and has abilities that do not factor into a college degree to be successful and earn a good living , an apprenticeship program would be primo. You have shop classes in school, mandatory like the other stuff, and you let people find stuff they like and/or are good at.

At 13 I got a job hauling lumber on a construction site for $5/hr. By the end of the summer I was making $7/hr and helping put houses together. By the time I got my worthless High School degree I was making $15/hr, could read blueprints and lay out the foundations for a house and build it. The work was seasonal and weather dependent so I chose a different path, but the ONLY reason 14yr old kids now are so irresponsible IS the gubmint controlled system.

hhibrownsbacker

Super Active Member
WHY??? We have already agreed that the degree didn't learn you anything worthwhile? We're talking about changing the system. Lose your paradigms and move on!
I dont agree that some degrees don't teach you anything worthwhile. What about the committment and determination to get the degree. as compared to quitting and giving up on school. You're talking about changing the system, not me. Something constructive I would be open to but to turn 8th graders out into the workforce is just one of the most cruel and damaging things that you could do to the kids. For every exception to the rule(your life) there will be hundreds who would be destined to a life of mediocrity at best. OK, lets end this, since you seriously believe that turning any child over to the workforce after 8th grade for any reason at all is OK, we really dont have much to talk about. C-Ya

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I dont agree that some degrees don't teach you anything worthwhile. What about the committment and determination to get the degree. as compared to quitting and giving up on school. You're talking about changing the system, not me. Something constructive I would be open to but to turn 8th graders out into the workforce is just one of the most cruel and damaging things that you could do to the kids. For every exception to the rule(your life) there will be hundreds who would be destined to a life of mediocrity at best. OK, lets end this, since you seriously believe that turning any child over to the workforce after 8th grade for any reason at all is OK, we really dont have much to talk about. C-Ya
Do you even comprehend the concept of an apprenticeship? It is like school - with checkpoints for advancement - and an actual skill is learned when it is said and done.

You said "there will be hundreds who would be destined to a life of mediocrity at best." - And?

We have that now! And who are you to define 'mediocrity' and 'success'?