Anyone else tired of this crap?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Who owns the school and can you or I open one to compete with it without being punished or requiring permission ?

If not, you haven't "taken government out of it" , wouldn't you say ?
In free states those are called charter schools. Unfortunately both are competing for gubmint funding because that is what you have to do now. But it woud be that solution.

Highland Rogue

Really Active Member
The federal government has no business in healthcare or education. Period. Constitution says so and I can prove it if we need to go there.

Agreed. I like the Bill of Rights, since the concepts embodied within it, would be true whether it was written down or not. Rights don't come from governments or pieces of paper.

The Constitution itself binds nobody, we've seen that government isn't bound by it and a bunch of slave holding aristocracy, Thomas Jefferson, et al, can't realistically give our consent for us , several hundred years later.

Only individuals can give their own consent, anybody who claims otherwise is engaging in word smithing. Beware the person who would force you to do things, "for your own good".

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have a B.S. in Elementary education (not from a liberal uni) and taught at both a charter school and a public school during certification.

Highland Rogue

Really Active Member
In free states those are called charter schools. Unfortunately both are competing for gubmint funding
I think I understand what you're saying, but at the risk of being a serial "know it all" , I'll mention a "free state" and "gubmint funding" are two opposing concepts. The presence of the Gubmint funding negates the possibility of actual freedom.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think I understand what you're saying, but at the risk of being a serial "know it all" , I'll mention a "free state" and "gubmint funding" are two opposing concepts. The presence of the Gubmint funding negates the possibility of actual freedom.
Exactly - and if the government was removed from the equation the charter schools are what would survive. Public schools would have to shift to that concept or fail and close.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
But for now since gubmint funding is what is there, they need to fight for it - or their portion of it based on student population.

Highland Rogue

Really Active Member
I have a B.S. in Elementary education (not from a liberal uni) and taught at both a charter school and a public school during certification.
I wish you were free to open your school without all the red tape, if that is what you'd like to do.

I am a Minister of Peace and am on a first name basis with the Flying Spaghetti Monster. While I can't fly, I do enjoy spaghetti! :)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I wish you were free to open your school without all the red tape, if that is what you'd like to do.

I am a Minister of Peace and am on a first name basis with the Flying Spaghetti Monster. While I can't fly, I do enjoy spaghetti! :)
You would also then have universities that can only charge what their degree is worth. Conglomerations have been living on reputation that hasn't been proven in decades. Your "Ivy League" degree in gender studies still ain't worth a shit.

Highland Rogue

Really Active Member
But for now since gubmint funding is what is there, they need to fight for it - or their portion of it based on student population.
Or....band together and stop being forced to fund things they don't want in the first place. Then go about PEACEFULLY, doing the things they like and offering their services to like minded people, while leaving others with different ideas to pursue their goals.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Or....band together and stop being forced to fund things they don't want in the first place. Then go about PEACEFULLY, doing the things they like and offering their services to like minded people, while leaving others with different ideas to pursue their goals.
But the way it is now that requires a change in laws, lobbyists, lawyers, etc. If it was just forbidden for the gubmint to steal money for education - then REDISTRIBUTE IT how THEY think os best (for votes) - then the same "taxes" applied now could just be shifted to tuition. No change in the household budget unless it's a savings.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
You just get to pick which institution gets your $$.

And if you have 5 kids you can pay more than those with 1 kid. And if you don't have kids in school you don't pay shit.

It just makes too much sense.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Might reduce the number of indigent children - pumped out factory style because the gubmint will pay to raise them. Free school lunches, free education, as long as you don't own property you don't pay a fucking dime. And you wonder why inner city schools suck.

Highland Rogue

Really Active Member
You would also then have universities that can only charge what their degree is worth. Conglomerations have been living on reputation that hasn't been proven in decades. Your "Ivy League" degree in gender studies still ain't worth a shit.
Agreed, an Ivy league degree doesn't impress me as much as it seems to impress the degree holder.

Got a couple academic types in my family...thanksgiving is a real hoot in my family, bunch of us know it alls, all talking past each other at once. I usually end up being the one who can answer their questions while stumping them with mine or worse, pissing them off when I point out the inherent contradiction in their lame argument. They paid more attention to repeating what they were told, than examining it for bullshit. I have a well honed bullshit detector and wasn't afraid to ask questions of teachers they couldn't /wouldn't answer. Started skipping school and smoking weed and now I'm old...how the fuck did that happen? Lol.

Value is subjective. I am not willing to pay $300 for a 10 pack of seeds. Others may be willing. In that case they should be able to, while I should be able to decline.

The biggest reason I finished undergrad degree at night years ago and began a graduate program, was it was supposed to be a ticket to advancement in my career at the time. Other than that, I learned very little and would have been better off learnng to weld or some other useful skill.

Last edited:

hhibrownsbacker

Super Active Member
It sems to me that if you have one kid in school or five, I dont know how you could pay the bill on just what the average parent could pay in to it. Most folks don't have kids in school, and with lacking their influx of capital, trying to run and finance a school would be almost impossible other than to the very rich. Buildings cost money, teachers cost money, books cost money, utilities cost money, and so on. If most folks could afford to send their kids to a better higher quality school, they would.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It sems to me that if you have one kid in school or five, I dont know how you could pay the bill on just what the average parent could pay in to it. Most folks don't have kids in school, and with lacking their influx of capital, trying to run and finance a school would be almost impossible other than to the very rich. Buildings cost money, teachers cost money, books cost money, utilities cost money, and so on. If most folks could afford to send their kids to a better higher quality school, they would.
My only point there was that maybe people that can't afford puppies shouldn't have so many. It is not MY job to take care of them.

And if everything wasn't handed to them for free they might realize this.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The biggest reason I finished undergrad degree at night years ago and began a graduate program, was it was supposed to be a ticket to advancement in my career at the time.
I got mine on the GI Bill. I was going through a divorce and the extra $$ they give for living expenses let me get an apartment while the shit was finalized - and hang out with college kids :) The education program is easily 90% female. Never intended to actually seek employment as an educator - who stays high... I had my share of crusades in my life. Fighting a liberal education system as an old man was never on the list.