Any of you guys here hunt?

Oreguhnism

Really Active Member
That's what I mean. You take their gear, then leave a note that says it's at the wardens. You never actually have to give the warden the gear if they were poaching - they won't ask for it, and they probably won't come back.
I understood the gist.....but these people aint smart enough in my opinion which makes them a liability, unfortunately. I just wanted them to know someone was watching.....somewhere.....see if that would clear em out. A note imho,wouldnt do shit, no cop goes here lol....

SCJedi

Synergist
I have a cousin that is a trained guide. He is nothing short of an animal slayer. He's been trying to put me in the woods for an elk for the past few years. During bow season last year he stumbled on two bulls fighting with locked racks and nailed one at 50 feet. He said it freaked him out.

It has been a spell for me but I grew up hunting deer, wild boar, chukkar, ringnecks, duck, geese, quail, squirrel, etc. Lots of stories. I ate my first squirrel when I was around 8. I have good access in the Carolinas, Alabama, Iowa, Montana, Colorado, Idaho, and Oregon. I doubt I'll really do much more that shoot sidearms much in the future though as I mostly fish these days.

TheOther

You take their gear, then leave a note that says it's at the wardens.
No, you leave a Warden's buisiness card there, they won't be back for a while.
Maybe a nice note on the back, call to aid an ongoing investigation.
Let paranoia and word of mouth do the rest.
Follow up with dis information, edit some maps and place names, nail a poster in the parking area.
Should clear the area out for next season
CWD poster.jpg

Last edited:

Punisher84

Just some asshole
What do y'all think about illegal hunting, both trapping and hunting out of season?

I had to stop going to my guerilla sites because of illegal hunting in the vicinity.
I have three woods cams, a deer call and nearly an entire 8-9 foot deer stand, as souvenirs.

View attachment 42007

I have no beef with hunters but they are basically poaching not a mile from town, f in crazy.
Considering they have extended season and unlimited limit in designated areas here, let them cut the population down. Every year there are fewer and fewer tags sold. Fewer people hunt. Over population of white tail around here, disease problems to go with it.
When I was a kid you were limited to I think 2-3 tags a year. Christ now I think if you hunt shotgun, archery, muzzle loader you can harvest over a dozen animals. If you get in the designated areas you can harvest many more.

Around here I think most "poaching" is just guys wanting to keep their freezer full. I know several that do that. Not trophy hunters, meat hunters.

Same applies to birds around here. Turkey really taken off in last 20 years. See them as road kill quite often. Enough smaller game birds coming back that bobcats have moved back in, which is probably a good thing.

Guess the state loses out on a bit of $$ from poaching but it is not much. Poaching is illegal, government says so is growing weed...

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Conservation is the best part about hunting. I dont hunt but i always get my licence Deer and small game.

People dont get it...what we do not harvest will be taken by wolves, then disease and starvation. Over and over on a cycle.

So why should they die of disease when they can be slow smoked and savored.

This year i am going to get all my gun shit up to date. I think I might go bag a deer this fall.

I will need to actually buy a gun....:D I have a few ideas....lol...how can one pick.

And i hated the 30 30 so much my first gun was a lever action....I got a 356, Why conform when you can excel.

I did end up buying a 30 30 real cheap...i get the alure....its pretty much the kick of a 22 250...weak sauce.

I like shooting game and having it rock me...BOOM....

Shoreline

Conservation is the best part about hunting. I dont hunt but i always get my licence Deer and small game.

People dont get it...what we do not harvest will be taken by wolves, then disease and starvation. Over and over on a cycle.

So why should they die of disease when they can be slow smoked and savored.

This year i am going to get all my gun shit up to date. I think I might go bag a deer this fall.

I will need to actually buy a gun....:D I have a few ideas....lol...how can one pick.

And i hated the 30 30 so much my first gun was a lever action....I got a 356, Why conform when you can excel.

I did end up buying a 30 30 real cheap...i get the alure....its pretty much the kick of a 22 250...weak sauce.

I like shooting game and having it rock me...BOOM....
If you're a deer hunter get a bolt action. A Ruger .308 is a good all around rifle, you don't need any magnum calibers.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Going this weekend coming up for a few days. I'm in a club with about 8000 acres. Mostly all whitetail and a few hogs time to time. Shoot a 300wsm and 308 . Popped some real nice ones a couple years back and got this one with a bow about 6 years ago.

Curious what kind of stuff you guys hunt in different areas.

View attachment 41849
Beautiful fireplace design!
Standing back and looking, the image looks like a "Trophy" made into a "trophy".
I have a 12pt whitetail hanging on the wall I killed in 1992. Was the last time I went deer hunting.

SCJedi

Synergist
Going this weekend coming up for a few days. I'm in a club with about 8000 acres. Mostly all whitetail and a few hogs time to time. Shoot a 300wsm and 308 . Popped some real nice ones a couple years back and got this one with a bow about 6 years ago.

Curious what kind of stuff you guys hunt in different areas.
I have a 1957 Winchester Model 88 .308 that was a gift when I turned 12 years old and got my first hunting license.

The only way that this long gun goes away is when it is pried from my cold, dead hands. I turn 50 this year so you can get an idea of how well I shoot this rifle.

Funny story about this rifle. When I was a teenager I used to get in a lot of trouble. During one of my "stays away from home" my pop took his buddy Chuck up to the local range. Well, Chuck didn't bring a gun so my pop let him use my .308 which still has the same very heavy steel scope. Pop was taking shots when Chuck put his eye right up against that metal ring and pulled the trigger. He came out of that scope kiss looking like a one-eyed raccoon.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I have a 1957 Winchester Model 88 .308 that was a gift when I turned 12 years old and got my first hunting license.

The only way that this long gun goes away is when it is pried from my cold, dead hands. I turn 50 this year so you can get an idea of how well I shoot this rifle.

Funny story about this rifle. When I was a teenager I used to get in a lot of trouble. During one of my "stays away from home" my pop took his buddy Chuck up to the local range. Well, Chuck didn't bring a gun so my pop let him use my .308 which still has the same very heavy steel scope. Pop was taking shots when Chuck put his eye right up against that metal ring and pulled the trigger. He came out of that scope kiss looking like a one-eyed raccoon.
I'm 58, born and raised in the country, was taught very young to hunt and fish.
1st gun was an H&R single shot 410.
When I was around 8 or 9, dad would takes us "squirrel" hunting by floating us down one of the local creeks in a 12' aluminum "John Boat". You learned to use all your senses to be an "expert" hunter in the woods.
Thanks Dad!

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I'm 58, born and raised in the country, was taught very young to hunt and fish.
1st gun was an H&R single shot 410.
When I was around 8 or 9, dad would takes us "squirrel" hunting by floating us down one of the local creeks in a 12' aluminum "John Boat". You learned to use all your senses to be an "expert" hunter in the woods.
Thanks Dad!
I still got my H&R 410....;) 🍺

Oreguhnism

Really Active Member
Considering they have extended season and unlimited limit in designated areas here, let them cut the population down. Every year there are fewer and fewer tags sold. Fewer people hunt. Over population of white tail around here, disease problems to go with it.
When I was a kid you were limited to I think 2-3 tags a year. Christ now I think if you hunt shotgun, archery, muzzle loader you can harvest over a dozen animals. If you get in the designated areas you can harvest many more.

Around here I think most "poaching" is just guys wanting to keep their freezer full. I know several that do that. Not trophy hunters, meat hunters.

Same applies to birds around here. Turkey really taken off in last 20 years. See them as road kill quite often. Enough smaller game birds coming back that bobcats have moved back in, which is probably a good thing.

Guess the state loses out on a bit of $$ from poaching but it is not much. Poaching is illegal, government says so is growing weed...
I thought about keeping a freezer full, but these are urban rednecks with ar15s and all the fancy gear and harvesting nothing to eat, just shootin`......if they got money for expensive toys and such, doubt they are hungry.....same thing in Cental Oregon, China Hat Christmas Valley, tons of poaching or gunnin'......out of season especially. You can hike around little rock formations and find bags of meat dumped after antler harvesting....

I appreciate those that hunt the right way! So please no one take my remarks as anti hunter.....no one said anything but I have a feeling this is a complicated issue, heh.....

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I thought about keeping a freezer full, but these are urban rednecks with ar15s and all the fancy gear and harvesting nothing to eat, just shootin`......if they got money for expensive toys and such, doubt they are hungry.....same thing in Cental Oregon, China Hat Christmas Valley, tons of poaching or gunnin'......out of season especially. You can hike around little rock formations and find bags of meat dumped after antler harvesting....

I appreciate those that hunt the right way! So please no one take my remarks as anti hunter.....no one said anything but I have a feeling this is a complicated issue, heh.....
All honesty, why would someone need a high powered rifle to deer hunt with? It's very rare they fight back. lol
Single shot shotgun or a good compound bow is all you need after you have mastered the art of "woodland invisibility".
That is their neighborhood and they definitely know you're there.
You just know there'll be some big mouth "chipmunk" surely will sound the alarm nuts that you're there. lol

Baron

Really Active Member
If you're a deer hunter get a bolt action. A Ruger .308 is a good all around rifle, you don't need any magnum calibers.
The older I get the less I like shooting the big mags, I do however have a 300 win mag that is one hell of a bean field gun, if you want to shoot 500 plus yards across the soybeans, it is the ticket.

Baron

Really Active Member
I’m basically retired front hunting now, but I still enjoy my girls and my nieces and nephews hunting. I get about as pleasure out of them being successful ( harvest or not) as I ever did being out in the field.