Any of you guys here hunt?

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Going this weekend coming up for a few days. I'm in a club with about 8000 acres. Mostly all whitetail and a few hogs time to time. Shoot a 300wsm and 308 . Popped some real nice ones a couple years back and got this one with a bow about 6 years ago.

Curious what kind of stuff you guys hunt in different areas.

20200114_002258.jpg

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
Going this weekend coming up for a few days. I'm in a club with about 8000 acres. Mostly all whitetail and a few hogs time to time. Shoot a 300wsm and 308 . Popped some real nice ones a couple years back and got this one with a bow about 6 years ago.

Curious what kind of stuff you guys hunt in different areas.

View attachment 41849
Nice mount.
I grew up hunting whitetale. We never ate beef from the store. Mostly mid sized doe cause they are best for eating. One good shot and don’t chase her👌.
Got a decent buck one season cause I couldn’t help myself. My father has the European mount still.

Now I just plug grouse and moose now and then. The grouse round here kick the shit outta kfc chicken

Opie1

Master Grower
Yeah, some of my best memories are of times spent hunting, over the years I managed to get some really nice bucks. Got my first one at 13, after giving up on my uncle to pick me up I headed out on my own, and after a 15 minute walk in the rain, I lucked up on a 9pt leaving a soybean field. Many others have followed but but few have even came close to over-shadowing him. I’ll try to get pics tomorrow.

Cfeezzie

Super Active Member
Yes sir my dad and grandpa took me and my brother hunting at a,young age. Never hunt deer. Only Rabbit and Pheasant. I remember when i was 10 years old grandpa let me shoot his 12 gauge. All i hit was dirt. You see the dust cloud fly up about 75 yards out trying to hit a rabbit. My shoulder hurt that night. Haven't been since my dad died in 2014. Oh a now i will hit a rabbit in the head one shot with the 22. If you hit a rabbit with a 12 gauge you'll be picking out bb for days.😉

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I used to hunt moose and whitetails....hunting partridge is my favorite. We have roughed grouse here and they are delicious...wild chickens.
1 per person
If you are a good shot you can pop their head off with a 22..or a bow.

Look how chamod they are....but they cant resist strutting around looking for a mate....BOOM!
th.jpg

And we hunt on 10,000 acres of crown land. Free for a resident of Canada (all of us). Crazy eh.

Biggest dear I saw dressed was a narley 6 point buck my father in law shot....287 pounds without guts. :D Monster bucks.

Bigger Moose!

The problem around here now is the first 2 weeks of November are too warm to hunt. They should delay the season a week or 2.

lakegrow

PICK YOUR OWN
Lease 100 acres and put 5 whitetail in freezer this year, 4 does and a scraggly old buck. Age the meat myself and process all myself from steaks to cubes to sausage to burger to roasts to shanks which is one of my favs.

Need about a dozen yard rats (squirrels) will be set until next year.

D

Deleted member 60

Do they count one side of the rack up there......or both sides of the rack like they do back East down here?

Lotsa deer here in my 'hood. Daily sightings for the most part...often right in the yard. Big turkeys as well. Well fed too....LOL. There's a group of about 8 does of all ages. The bucks are usually in the next draw. All of em are pretty tame. Nobody shoots at em here.

And we have these walking around at night most nights in summer. Ditto on the shooting....
WGI_0024.JPG
And these in the Fall......but last Summer it was pretty constant

IMG_0239.JPG
This guy was sitting there...15 ft from my weed garden...

Pretty sure this poor guy got dusted by a guy up on the hill because it was "eating his apples" off his pissy tree. Put the neighborhood in a tizzy big time. Everybody calling the DOW and my neighborhood tossed a nasty letter at 'em signed by the entire road. They finally got the clue and the guy got fined $1500 (not near enough) and everybody now knows who he is. My neighbor with the skid steer has 2 degrees in Wildlife Mgmt. and it was all I could do to keep him from goin up there and dozing the guys "orchard"... LOL. Like snitches....poaching is low, low, low and needs to be dealt with w/no mercy.

See a few sheds here/there....and have a really nice, ful set of Bighorn ram horns that i came by when my son and his friends found a big guy who was taken out by an avalanche. He was frozen into the flow when they first foiund him. Went back mid Summer and got the head. 3 of em split the booty....my son/his best buddy got horns...the other guy got the skull. My son's buddy OD'd....so now we have the full rack in our posession. Had to have my ex-neighbor Game Warden OK the possession of them/write a letter that they were harvested legally. He said it was one of the nicest pairs he'd seen. 8-9 year old male.....and worth quite a bit of $$$ if you were to sell them......which...I believe...would take it into a different realm of legality.

good luck out there....

Attachments

Gweedo

PICK YOUR OWN
I'm about to take up coyote hunting as well, lost a dog on Christmas and an old cat we had about a week later, 90% sure it was them there are tons of em running around on the vacant 180 acres behind our spot, and they are big I've seen 2 that looked like wolves, and I've found tracks out walking in the sticks, for comparison I wear a 14 in Adidas lol
20181011_175613.jpg20181011_175446.jpg20181011_175629.jpg

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
Just white tail and turkey and rabbit here, we used to do big coyote hunts before they put a bag limit on them wed hunt farms for them baiting them in over night with scraps from a pig farmer from up the road.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I'm about to take up coyote hunting as well, lost a dog on Christmas and an old cat we had about a week later, 90% sure it was them there are tons of em running around on the vacant 180 acres behind our spot, and they are big I've seen 2 that looked like wolves, and I've found tracks out walking in the sticks, for comparison I wear a 14 in Adidas lol
View attachment 41936View attachment 41937View attachment 41938
Domestic animals are easy prey for the coyotes unfortunately. There must be a purpose for them although i can't think of one. They are also very smart and can easily lure a dog into there trap. Shoot em up @Gweedo

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
Domestic animals are easy prey for the coyotes unfortunately. There must be a purpose for them although i can't think of one. They are also very smart and can easily lure a dog into there trap. Shoot em up @Gweedo
they help keep other nuisance animal numbers down as well as deer in some areas. They tend to be a pest to most but they are actually a beautiful creature

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Just all waterfowling here. Have shot mountains of geese and ducks and would not trade the experience for anything. The last few years i waterfowled it was mainly about the dog work. Nothing finer than watching a well trained dog do what they love to do. I did guide for a while but could not stand the mostly hungover clients that had a loaded weapon right next to you. I have supported Ducks unlimited throughout the years to try and give back to the resources.

Gweedo

PICK YOUR OWN
Yes I agree they are beautiful, and I've been at my spot for 12 yrs now and we've never lost a non food animal, chickens,ducks,guineas get picked off, but the dog we lost was a 40lb lab pup about 8 months old she was the runt, so if I catch em on my property I'm gonna assume he's the dog lover lol