2021 Veggie Gardens

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I tilled a bunch of peat into the raised beds the other day, watered them good, and then took some soil samples this morning for slurry testing. Everything looks pretty good so I don't think I need to do anything crazy before transplanting the plants in there. pH was right around 6.5 and the N, P, & K levels all looked great.

uXM0ES3.jpg

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Gave the beds a good soaking today and put down the mulch layer.
D6704B3A-D306-4C6C-8EBA-7EE5852773E5.jpeg
Also decided to go around the outer edge of the fence with a mix of marigolds and zinnias with giant sunflowers at each corner and centered on each side. I got the seeds started but still need to fill the border around the garden.
5B1C6E82-4AC3-4045-A506-91A5CDE0268F.jpeg

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Kale is outside...snow peas are growing out of the soil, radishes and lettuce poking through.

1 tomato out there going to get a cover built. In the garage the maters and peppers are getting usesd toe colder temps and growing under a QB120...man i cant believe how ROBUST the prudens purple are.

I never grew veg from seed and never planted anything close to this big on may 24...this is going to be a crazy year

20 gallon planters for the choicest of prudens purple and oplaka

2 cherry tomatos in 15s

potatos in 10s and 15s

eggplants in 7s and 10s

Pepperrs in 7s and 10s

a couple of squash pots but mostly on trellissis with 2 x 2s over the north side of the house against the bricks (8 foot 2 x2s secured about 1 foot into the ground against the house with 2 inch square green fencing)
cucumbers

green and yellow summer squash

Maybe 1 other thing.

sunflowers where i can fit them for pollinators....some corn too.

Swiss chard kale and other greens wherever i can fit them and all herbs (dill, thyme, basil, oregeno, sage) out front for noon to dark sun.

What a year...global warming made my city like cali....lets GROW THIS...

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I almost put my plants outside last weekend, but I'm glad I didn't. We got a clod snap and actually got some snow in the state. The snow was about 50-60 miles from me but it was a nice reminder that it's still a little too early for me to move the plants outdoors.
I hate those CLOD snaps 🤪

I think the frost has past, and the nursery kept my plants healthy for me... I got a few tomatoes and a few peppers. Nothing 'exciting' except maybe the 'Mexican spicy bell'? who knows. I'll have tomatoes for sandwiches. The two big ones are cherry tomatoes and are set until I take them down. I may keep most of it in pots or buckets, but some might go in the ground. More likely into cloth pots when I get more soil, then half buried in the ground.
IMG_3545.JPG
I threw down some seeds for pickling cukes and zuchinni just to see what would take and not get eaten by the birds and chipmunks- I'll have cupes.
IMG_3549.JPG
It's a long raised bed with the climbing plants on eash end, and sugar-snap peas and carrots in the middle. A few peas are popping.
This is a pardley and a marjoram that I left out all winter with temps down in the teens for weeks at a time. IMG_3548.JPG

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
All my shit is ready to go outside. That old planting table has been in our dirt floor basement since we bought the house (and probably for at least 30 years before that). I finally decided to clean all the mouse shit off of it and use it for what it was made for. I forget what the plant in the pot is, but one of the cats took the top off it the other day...my wife stuck it in the sun hoping it will get back to growing.

kOX0NxQ.jpg

And these are the flowers I started last Sunday
XcEqmSB.jpg

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
Kale is outside...snow peas are growing out of the soil, radishes and lettuce poking through.

1 tomato out there going to get a cover built. In the garage the maters and peppers are getting usesd toe colder temps and growing under a QB120...man i cant believe how ROBUST the prudens purple are.

I never grew veg from seed and never planted anything close to this big on may 24...this is going to be a crazy year

20 gallon planters for the choicest of prudens purple and oplaka

2 cherry tomatos in 15s

potatos in 10s and 15s

eggplants in 7s and 10s

Pepperrs in 7s and 10s

a couple of squash pots but mostly on trellissis with 2 x 2s over the north side of the house against the bricks (8 foot 2 x2s secured about 1 foot into the ground against the house with 2 inch square green fencing)
cucumbers

green and yellow summer squash

Maybe 1 other thing.

sunflowers where i can fit them for pollinators....some corn too.

Swiss chard kale and other greens wherever i can fit them and all herbs (dill, thyme, basil, oregeno, sage) out front for noon to dark sun.

What a year...global warming made my city like cali....lets GROW THIS...
Predicting 20-25mph wind with up to 4in of snow sun-mon, just when I get excited about putting some lettuce & spinach out another cold front hits our soil is still to cold 😡

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Predicting 20-25mph wind with up to 4in of snow sun-mon, just when I get excited about putting some lettuce & spinach out another cold front hits our soil is still to cold 😡
Yeah, I’m closer to the coast so we got all rain and wind…I have two small ponds in the yard from it. I went to my sisters house last night, about an hour drive away, and her years had about 2” of snow.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I strung a wire across my bed and put a tarp over it - no damage from the frost. The potted plants came in. This is my "garden" for now.
Tomatoes and peppers, and peas, cukes and zuchini in the bed.
IMG_3732.JPG
You can see why I have a nice sunny spot because the ancient oak laying on its side used to be where the black pots are - The are all sitting on the ground down stump. This side of the tree is a mulberry bush
IMG_3751.JPG
I am getting some stuff planted permanent though. The stump in the foreground has spearmint runners everywhere. Also a few pumpkin seeds that made it from my johnny appleseed dump around the house.
IMG_3735.JPG
For you tomato gardeners, here's an option to ditch the cages.
IMG_3734.JPG
Last years herbs either got put in the ground last fall or this spring. Eventually the slopw wo=ill be a (nicer) terraced garden. There's rosemary and Marjoram just stuck in the clay.
IMG_3738.JPG
The Italian flat-leaf parsley was a seed-dump last spring, The sage on the right had long woody stems with flowers on them (chopped) but the base was putting out mucho new growth. Strawberries have a nice little chipmunk hole right under them...
IMG_3746.JPGIMG_3743.JPG
This was just in a pot last year
IMG_3741.JPG

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I strung a wire across my bed and put a tarp over it - no damage from the frost. The potted plants came in. This is my "garden" for now.
Tomatoes and peppers, and peas, cukes and zuchini in the bed.
View attachment 89470
You can see why I have a nice sunny spot because the ancient oak laying on its side used to be where the black pots are - The are all sitting on the ground down stump. This side of the tree is a mulberry bush
View attachment 89474
I am getting some stuff planted permanent though. The stump in the foreground has spearmint runners everywhere. Also a few pumpkin seeds that made it from my johnny appleseed dump around the house.
View attachment 89472
For you tomato gardeners, here's an option to ditch the cages.
View attachment 89471
Last years herbs either got put in the ground last fall or this spring. Eventually the slopw wo=ill be a (nicer) terraced garden. There's rosemary and Marjoram just stuck in the clay.
View attachment 89473
The Italian flat-leaf parsley was a seed-dump last spring, The sage on the right had long woody stems with flowers on them (chopped) but the base was putting out mucho new growth. Strawberries have a nice little chipmunk hole right under them...
View attachment 89477View attachment 89476
This was just in a pot last year
View attachment 89475
Yeah, my plants have to get planted outside no later than next Wednesday, so I picked up some rolls of plastic sheeting just in case we get anymore chances of frost. I can't wait to get them out of the house because they are all getting a little too big and hand watering all of those plants every day is becoming a royal pain in the ass. I wanted to get my surgery out of the way before the summer but I really screwed myself when I scheduled it for next week. I have until Wed to get all the plants out in the garden, get the rest of my chicken coop and run secured from weasels (one took out my entire flock a few years ago), grade a 256 sqft patch of land for a 4' tall x 15' diameter pool, and setup the pool. It doesn't help when I refuse to ask my family and friends to help with it all, either :rolleyes: