2021 Veggie Gardens

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
This year i reserved a tent and a growbox to start vegetables. Those store bought ones ...well they might be ok..

But they dont have Prudens Purple and Opalka tomatos... The last time i got ones close to this big they were 10 bucks a pop. I am just glad all of this weed seed popping gave me skills...because peppers are SLOW...lol.

Organic Heirloom peppers too...Yellow, Red, Banana, Mini Bells

Eggplants, Yellow and Green summer squash, climbing beans, swiss chard.

Herbs are gaining traction too (thyme, dill, sage, oregeno, flat leaf parsley)

Tonight i start cucumbers and planter beans and i will go through the massive stash of organic veg seeds i have to see if i want to add anything else

Tomorrow they can go in...this should be the last night of frost until we chop outdoor harvests.

I have 3 X 25 gallon planters with yukon golds...a 5 x 8 bed of Pontiac Reds

Lots of bigger planters not in the garage...tomorrow i start putting stuff outside... This year I am getting it dialed in...if mother nature cooperates !

The grey ones are 10 gallons and that fat black one beside the soil is a 15. Those 2 cubes should fill my final 2 X 25 gallon planters whos contents will be determined (something in here or maybe 1 green and 1 yellow summer squash).
IMG_5519.JPG
IMG_5478.JPG

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Chipmunks don't eat strawberries - apparently nothing does. I've gotten a few handfulls off basically junk plants. This might be a crop worth spending some effort on. These were in pots at my apartment over three years ago waiting on the divorce to finalize, and when I moved in I jammed them in the dirt. Period. I have done nothing to them, including watering. They get rain when it happens
View attachment 91034
In the front is that parsley going to seed. Instead of having an herb garden, I have several spots around the yard I can get cooking supplies :) View attachment 91033
Yeah, strawberries are hard to kill. I planted some when I lived in MT and they came back every year. They get out of control if you don’t cut them back every now and then. I’ve been thinking bout getting some going here this year…just haven’t decided where I want to plant them.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
This year i reserved a tent and a growbox to start vegetables. Those store bought ones ...well they might be ok..

But they dont have Prudens Purple and Opalka tomatos... The last time i got ones close to this big they were 10 bucks a pop. I am just glad all of this weed seed popping gave me skills...because peppers are SLOW...lol.

Organic Heirloom peppers too...Yellow, Red, Banana, Mini Bells

Eggplants, Yellow and Green summer squash, climbing beans, swiss chard.

Herbs are gaining traction too (thyme, dill, sage, oregeno, flat leaf parsley)

Tonight i start cucumbers and planter beans and i will go through the massive stash of organic veg seeds i have to see if i want to add anything else

Tomorrow they can go in...this should be the last night of frost until we chop outdoor harvests.

I have 3 X 25 gallon planters with yukon golds...a 5 x 8 bed of Pontiac Reds

Lots of bigger planters not in the garage...tomorrow i start putting stuff outside... This year I am getting it dialed in...if mother nature cooperates !

The grey ones are 10 gallons and that fat black one beside the soil is a 15. Those 2 cubes should fill my final 2 X 25 gallon planters whos contents will be determined (something in here or maybe 1 green and 1 yellow summer squash).
View attachment 91035
View attachment 91037
If you think pepper are slow then give celery a shot 🤣. This was my first year trying celery and I started them from seed. I screwed up the first batch by covering the seeds…apparently celery seeds require light to germinate. The second batch of seeds were planted on April 22nd and they are still pretty tiny.
DA39B596-3D5D-4706-9691-F25241F80FC2.jpeg

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If you think pepper are slow then give celery a shot 🤣. This was my first year trying celery and I started them from seed. I screwed up the first batch by covering the seeds…apparently celery seeds require light to germinate. The second batch of seeds were planted on April 22nd and they are still pretty tiny.
View attachment 91044
There are certain veggies that it's just way easier to get from the produce section.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Some awesome gardens going. I have a small yard and have two Cherry, two celebrity and two Rutgers tomatoes plants.
Gonna pic and enjoy that red one with a beer in the next few minutes, should have enough for salads soon from the Cherry.
I have two of those "sweet 100's" and they were my best procuders last year. I ended up using them for everything. Great for juice, not so much for sauce, but the jiuce is tasty enouigh you can add it to other sauce.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
So, after all that work, pretty much everything we moved outside died because I didn't harden them off well enough. The only plants that survived were the tomatoes and peppers. I ended up going to a local garden center today and picked up really healthy looking starter plants and replanted everything...and after seeing how damn cheap they are I wonder why I bothered with seeds in the first place. It cost me like $25 for everything I needed to replace (9 beans, 3 zucchini, 3 squash, 3 cucumber, 6 cabbage, 6 iceberg lettuce, and 6 eggplant) plus I decided to add 6 basil plants and 6 romaine lettuce to the garden.

Dang that stinks! Tough enough on the old back planting everything once.... I almost lost my zukes last year, I only hardened them off for 4 days thank goodness it clouded up...

Kushash

Insanely Active Member
I have two of those "sweet 100's" and they were my best procuders last year. I ended up using them for everything. Great for juice, not so much for sauce, but the jiuce is tasty enouigh you can add it to other sauce.
The Rutgers should be good for sauce. They have a thick skin. 1st time I'm growing them, they are Jersey tomatoes and might not like the desert heat and sun. Gonna try and keep them healthy and will shade them for part of the day when the temps cross 105. Two years ago I had celebrity tomato plants last until the end of December.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The Rutgers should be good for sauce. They have a thick skin. 1st time I'm growing them, they are Jersey tomatoes and might not like the desert heat and sun. Gonna try and keep them healthy and will shade them for part of the day when the temps cross 105. Two years ago I had celebrity tomato plants last until the end of December.
I agree - I have one rutgers, a beefsteak, and some random stuff, but the cherry tomatoes always grow like weeds.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
Finally made forward progress on all my raised beds weeds pulled, everything broke is mended, ready for my transplants, my enthusiasm got kicked in the balls all spring when it snowed and got into the 20s every single weekend until last... All the forward progress was not without some backwards, I moved the security cameras to cover more area and the damn ladder kicked out, superman truly is dead lol, hurt my back, lost all sensation I need to pee, guess I will take it easy today & hope once all the swelling goes down everything goes back to normal, golden years my ass! 😂

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Finally made forward progress on all my raised beds weeds pulled, everything broke is mended, ready for my transplants, my enthusiasm got kicked in the balls all spring when it snowed and got into the 20s every single weekend until last... All the forward progress was not without some backwards, I moved the security cameras to cover more area and the damn ladder kicked out, superman truly is dead lol, hurt my back, lost all sensation I need to pee, guess I will take it easy today & hope once all the swelling goes down everything goes back to normal, golden years my ass! 😂
Take it easy, man! I just mowed the lawn for the first time since my surgery. I was tired of my wife having to do so much, and we have a zero turn, so I convinced her I would be fine as long as I went slow so I didn’t bounce all over the place. It took me about 2.5 hours but it felt nice to be getting some yard work done. I ended up planting more lettuce yesterday, got new tomato plants to replace the ones I ruined, and ended up planting red onions in place of where I was going to plant the celery.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
Take it easy, man! I just mowed the lawn for the first time since my surgery. I was tired of my wife having to do so much, and we have a zero turn, so I convinced her I would be fine as long as I went slow so I didn’t bounce all over the place. It took me about 2.5 hours but it felt nice to be getting some yard work done. I ended up planting more lettuce yesterday, got new tomato plants to replace the ones I ruined, and ended up planting red onions in place of where I was going to plant the celery.
I feel your pain tree! Tough to just hang out when your used to being busy,,,When I fell thru roof and broke my back my zero turn riding mower was my only escape! Wife took all car keys, when she was at work I'd head down the road to the mailbox, the taste of freedom was great lol I did get some seedlings potted up but pretty much stayed mellow..

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
Hitting the 90s this week down here in Americas BH, I gotta rip out all my Colards ,Kales and Chards from the winter/ spring garden and Summerize my beds.cover with black plastic til it starts to cool off again. About all I can grow here in teh summer months besides Oakra are Mangos and Dragon Fruit and my super hots, Carolina Reapers, and T.M.Scorpions. My fave is Scotch Bonnet for Jerk Chicken and Curry goat. BTW I got some dragon fruit cuts if any body is intrested. I think they would get pretty narley in a tent though.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
Hitting the 90s this week down here in Americas BH, I gotta rip out all my Colards ,Kales and Chards from the winter/ spring garden and Summerize my beds.cover with black plastic til it starts to cool off again. About all I can grow here in teh summer months besides Oakra are Mangos and Dragon Fruit and my super hots, Carolina Reapers, and T.M.Scorpions. My fave is Scotch Bonnet for Jerk Chicken and Curry goat. BTW I got some dragon fruit cuts if any body is intrested. I think they would get pretty narley in a tent though.
We have winter storm watch tonight up to 12" in high pass areas, skiff here in the valley this morning, talking highs in low 40s thru Monday with snow & rain all weekend, damn weather is not cooperating! One plus to my back hurting Sunday I couldn't put my starts out 👍

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
We have winter storm watch tonight up to 12" in high pass areas, skiff here in the valley this morning, talking highs in low 40s thru Monday with snow & rain all weekend, damn weather is not cooperating! One plus to my back hurting Sunday I couldn't put my starts out 👍
I got to live all over the country so when I retired I chose an area with 4 seasons. I had other considerations of course, but you ALWAYS have to deal with the weather.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
I got to live all over the country so when I retired I chose an area with 4 seasons. I had other considerations of course, but you ALWAYS have to deal with the weather.
Soon as I retire it's RV time, my whole life I have lived in 4 seasons (fall,early winter, winter and summer lol) not until I went thru basic in AZ when I was a punk kid during the months Jan, feb and March did I realized there is life outside of the ice & snow, I drove semi's over the road for a spell and seen some areas is like to revisit when not on a clock...

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
My little slice of veggies looks to be taking off. Had a dry spell where I was watering as needed, then got a good soaking yesterday.
IMG_4326.JPG
That little set of leaves corner right is the cuke I started indoors. I am going to try keeping it in a pot for now. Up-potting might be a bitch so the next step would be a wooden box/mini raised bed I think.
IMG_4334.JPG
Definite improvement. I have been training the cherries and other tomatoes, but mainly the cherries.
IMG_4335.JPG
IMG_4336.JPG
Peppers are sucking, some bug got to them that touched nothing else. Put some Sevin spray on them to see if they recover with new growth (in the past they would have already been gone)IMG_4328.JPG
This is a "heatmaster", whatever that is. short and bushy, and looks prolific - might be a good tent plant LOL
IMG_4327.JPG
Some beefsteaks getting plump
IMG_4333.JPG
Zuchini
IMG_4329.JPG
Cukes
IMG_4332.JPG
and peas are all flowering nowIMG_4330.JPG
the chipmunk body count is now at 8. I always kind of cohabitated with the little bastards, but they started eating - or just digging and killing the roots on the plants. Fuck 'em. I hope they are territorial - if not every new one that moves in gets the axe.