2021 Veggie Gardens

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Got some fantastic composted soil from the local dump. I could not believe the amount of red wigglers in this compost! Now I just need to get some peat and some lava rock or perlite to mix in for drainage. Lot's of shoveling into the trailer this morning but the tractor did the rest of the heavy lifting once I got it home.

1 - UcKrO1f.jpg

2 - zR2mgOY.jpg

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
I have several spots picked out - long dead huge oaks that everything that could rot off did a long time ago. the ground around them is primo, and I'm roping off an area to concentrate the stuff in. but I'm thinking about a watering can to get it spread out more. And then using the last can or two in other likely spots with different sun/shade ratios. Everything is pretty sunny though until then leaves start opening up.
Sounds like a good plan! The difference I seen in the real sunny locations was they pop earlier, slightly smaller "fruit" and less came back in those areas the next year, basically just like in the wild..... Keep us updated please

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Sounds like a good plan! The difference I seen in the real sunny locations was they pop earlier, slightly smaller "fruit" and less came back in those areas the next year, basically just like in the wild..... Keep us updated please
Last night was supposedly my last cold snap, and with April here I buy it. I'm gonna open the package later and read to see if their instructions match what I've read. I think all I am looking for is their recommended coverage. It says it makes 5 gallons... OK. Do I pour that in a 2 square foot area or spray it over an acre? LOL

If it's warm out I'll be jumping on this today or tomorrow.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I guess the easy part is that it was only about $15. Not really worried about it other than I like mushrooms LOL

Also since the last frost has passed I'll give it a few weeks for Bonnie to start sending out new 'maters and peppers that haven't been under the loving care of a big-box store minimum wage employee...

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
Since I am foregoing the fat garden, getting berries started is one project - they are second year harvest for the most part anyway. Has anyone grown mushrooms? Looks easy enough, and my woods are perfect for it.

Looking at Morel's to start with, because I have wild mushrooms, and there's no chance of mistaking them :) but I know I have the perfect climate.
Was also looking into the tree-shrooms. Shitake and such where you drill an oak log and put innoculated wooden dowels in, then seal them with wax and wait 6-18mo...

Anyone that has done this stuff, if you have pointers hook me up!
we have done shiitake in old oak logs, going to be starting some this weekend, Basically just like you said drill holes in Oak log , drive in dowells inoculated with mycillium,I bought on line, then coat over the dowels with bees wax. Keep log wet/ damp in shady area . we got a couple of flushes of very tasty Shiitakes. The oak flavor comes through in the shrooms. The say it is best to get the log before it starts new groth for the spring, then is when it has the most sugars to feed the shrooms. also saw some you can do in a bucket with wood chips.The place I order them from has many species.
20210404_093440.jpg20210404_093354.jpg

Attachments

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
we have done shiitake in old oak logs, going to be starting some this weekend, Basically just like you said drill holes in Oak log , drive in dowells inoculated with mycillium,I bought on line, then coat over the dowels with bees wax. Keep log wet/ damp in shady area . we got a couple of flushes of very tasty Shiitakes. The oak flavor comes through in the shrooms. The say it is best to get the log before it starts new groth for the spring, then is when it has the most sugars to feed the shrooms. also saw some you can do in a bucket with wood chips.The place I order them from has many species.
I have some of those in my shopping cart LOL I have plenty of oak trees, but none I am gonna chop down to grow a mushroom. I wonder if you could jam the dowels in a living tree and it work?

I have plenty of decent sized hickory that need thinned out though, would you think they would work?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If I could use a hickory I was thinking about chopping it about 3-4' above the ground, the try putting dowels in the 'living' stump and some of the firewood.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
i have seen people use stumps still rooted in the ground, we get our logs from a tree service, i try to find some a good size to be able to move around, stand up on its own , and i soak it in my auqaponic system 1hr or two every couple days to get it it wet, usually start seeing the log start to turn white were it is cut in a few weeks and then give it a 24 hr soak, then the shrooms start popping out. i am no expert by any means but watched alot of videos. this old guy who farms em made teepees out of the logs and soaked em in a mud puddle i think the less chlorine in the water the better.
you just have to keep it damp till it really gets going.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Seems a lot more effort than the morels, and for me a mushroom is a mushroom. As long as I get something to grow I'm good.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
Last night was supposedly my last cold snap, and with April here I buy it. I'm gonna open the package later and read to see if their instructions match what I've read. I think all I am looking for is their recommended coverage. It says it makes 5 gallons... OK. Do I pour that in a 2 square foot area or spray it over an acre? LOL

If it's warm out I'll be jumping on this today or tomorrow.
I did what they call the slurry method, not on but along rotted burned logs, morels key into recent burned areas in the wild, I have also tried saw dust inoculated with spores tossed it around after burning the area, I honestly do not know if you can load them in a sprayer....

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
This year I am going garden crazy.

5 x 10 shaded garden bed out front....beside that another 5 x 10 area that i will put planters in (beets, maybe carrots, a few planters of shade tolerant plants to see what works).

out back a 5 x 10 full sun area with a few beds...peas around the perimeter of the fence line already planted

2 X 20 gallon planters of snow peas planted.

40 assorted 1 quart cells of tomato's (prudens purple, opalka and cherry), Sweet Peppers (yellow, red, mini and banana) and 2 kales (red russian and blue vale). These are in a 5 footer with 4k QB120s vegging them up bigger than the 2 dollar plants already. When they are ready they will be the 10 dollar a plant size.

The brick wall is the north side and those 2 x 2s will be made into trellis(s) for cucumbers, beans and maybe something else

Next wave is in the floraflex incubator. More peppers, eggplants and herb starters (thyme, sage, parsley, oregeno, basil) these are going in planters. I will get the prettiest ones i have and put them on the front walkway (full sun from noon to 7pm)

On the 14th i will start my squashes and maybe cucumbers. I have the timing from Farmers Almanac.

Everything is organic soil with only organic inputs. Jadam Wetting Agent based sprays to help with pests and to foliar spray any requirements. I will get a bigger rechargable sprayer i think or cheap out and get a good hand pump. This year i am going to nail it.

I am doing a light dep grow this year starting may 24. So 4 X Skunky VA will probably grow in 5 gallon planters with garbage can light timers (ME....alarm...BEEP BEEP put the damned garbage can on the planter)..

The weather is FANTASTIC. I have my existing soil all ready to go.. 1 yard of soil to order (and i have 4 feet of worm castings and 4 feet of spaghum. That will fill every planter. BIG ones too. 4 X 20 gallons....4 X 15 and as many 10s as i need.

Have a great year growing ! When this gets going i will feed my family for the rest of the year from the garden.

CUFH2153.JPG

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
This year I am going garden crazy.

5 x 10 shaded garden bed out front....beside that another 5 x 10 area that i will put planters in (beets, maybe carrots, a few planters of shade tolerant plants to see what works).

out back a 5 x 10 full sun area with a few beds...peas around the perimeter of the fence line already planted

2 X 20 gallon planters of snow peas planted.

40 assorted 1 quart cells of tomato's (prudens purple, opalka and cherry), Sweet Peppers (yellow, red, mini and banana) and 2 kales (red russian and blue vale). These are in a 5 footer with 4k QB120s vegging them up bigger than the 2 dollar plants already. When they are ready they will be the 10 dollar a plant size.

The brick wall is the north side and those 2 x 2s will be made into trellis(s) for cucumbers, beans and maybe something else

Next wave is in the floraflex incubator. More peppers, eggplants and herb starters (thyme, sage, parsley, oregeno, basil) these are going in planters. I will get the prettiest ones i have and put them on the front walkway (full sun from noon to 7pm)

On the 14th i will start my squashes and maybe cucumbers. I have the timing from Farmers Almanac.

Everything is organic soil with only organic inputs. Jadam Wetting Agent based sprays to help with pests and to foliar spray any requirements. I will get a bigger rechargable sprayer i think or cheap out and get a good hand pump. This year i am going to nail it.

I am doing a light dep grow this year starting may 24. So 4 X Skunky VA will probably grow in 5 gallon planters with garbage can light timers (ME....alarm...BEEP BEEP put the damned garbage can on the planter)..

The weather is FANTASTIC. I have my existing soil all ready to go.. 1 yard of soil to order (and i have 4 feet of worm castings and 4 feet of spaghum. That will fill every planter. BIG ones too. 4 X 20 gallons....4 X 15 and as many 10s as i need.

Have a great year growing ! When this gets going i will feed my family for the rest of the year from the garden.

View attachment 87780
Any outdoor grow plans or your not giving away free weed this season? 🤪

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think it’s safe to say I started my pole beans a tad early this year :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 88017
I just pretty much said "fuck it" and went Johnny Appleseed around my property with last years leftover seeds. I may have random shit from herbs to corn to tomatillos popping up everywhere. Anything that thrives I'll care for LOL. I planted a few rows of peas because I have a little raised bed that needed something. It has cukes at one end and zucchini at the other end, then a sprinkling of carrot seeds over the whole mess

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Had a late frost, and as predicted I did a drive-by at the "garden center" of one of the big box stores and there was a lot of wilted and dying shit everywhere. I figure in a week they will have cut their lossed and restocked the real estate with new plants.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Had a late frost, and as predicted I did a drive-by at the "garden center" of one of the big box stores and there was a lot of wilted and dying shit everywhere. I figure in a week they will have cut their lossed and restocked the real estate with new plants.
Yeah, there’s risk of frost here until May 6th according to the farmers almanac.