2021 Veggie Gardens

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have everything set except the peppers lower left. They are all going to get 2-3gallon cloth pots, and get spread out in the blank area with cages or something
IMG_3884.JPG
I am a big proponent of natural weed control, and not having to mow much. The bare areas are seeded with clover, then if it takes, the stuff will sit in bare spots LOL. My front yard is in the process of reducing mowable acreage. I'm letting this go to seed before mowing it. Pollenators love the stuff too. To me, if it doesn't get too tall, have spines or thorns, and look halfway decent it is not a weed. But clover is excellent for fixing nitrogen in the soil.
IMG_3877.JPG
Peppers get stakes or cages, but the overhead drop is better for tomatoes. Just wrap them as they grow, drop a new line for any secondary limbs you want to keep. When they reach the top I super-crop them and after a foot or so along the top let them grow back down. The cherry tomatoes are super prolific like that.
IMG_3882.JPGIMG_3883.JPG
The rest is just johnny appleseed chucking to see what stuck.
Zuchinni and some peas
IMG_3880.JPG
Cucumbers and more peas
IMG_3881.JPG
and some giant pumpkin mainly for the grandkids at halloween, but the seeds are great.
IMG_3885.JPG

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
My wife got most of the veggies transplanted outside for me today while I pointed to where they needed to go. They don't look very happy right now so I'm hoping they turn around over the next day or two. The pole beans look like they are about ready to grow beans...I'd say I started them WAY too early.

G2OpJcQ.jpg

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Just started the beds with peas, carrots and lettuce. Started the tomatoes, cukes and peppers indoors.
I just started a few portable beds with lettuce and green onions. The carrots seed I bought disappeared somewhere between the store and my house.
They have cool little tape strips now with the seeds inbedded. Very easy instead of messing with those tiny seeds. My tomatoes are pretty much set. The one plastic pot may or may not stay like that but I didn't have any more big cloth pots. Cukes and zuchini are past the seed-leaf stage.
IMG_3914.JPG
Got two of my peppers up-potted then moved them all inside. 3 days-ish of rain predicted starting last night and I didn't want them just getting mudded in.
IMG_3915.JPG
Because of the rain I also seeded the rest of the bare spots in the yard with crimson clover. No clue how that will work. Never purposefully planted weeds before...

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I am going to have to rig some kind of trellis for the cukes and zukes. May still have to thin the cukes a little.
IMG_3927.JPGIMG_3926.JPG
And I am thinking just a piece of hog-wire fence down the middle will work for both the peas, and the beginning of a trellis for the other stuff.
IMG_3928.JPG

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
I am going to have to rig some kind of trellis for the cukes and zukes. May still have to thin the cukes a little.

And I am thinking just a piece of hog-wire fence down the middle will work for both the peas, and the beginning of a trellis for the other stuff.

That's what I use for my "trellis" H.AF. Works great, I put peas, beans,cukes on pig fence...

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Now that I am getting a defined area where I can grow established I am going to invest in more permanent fencing. I got some 2.2' tall dog-pen fencing that works well enough, but a determined groundhog or rabbit would have no problem. I like that stuff you have @TreeFarmerCharlie

I have been working to reclaim a larger area around the garden but with the briars, honeysuckle, these damn gold colored shrubs that spread like fucking strawberries, and enough poison ivy sprinkled around to keep you careful - I am just taking my time. I'm going to fence in that huge oak log instead of trying to move the damn thing.

If I can get that clover established as the ground cover that will solve a lot of problems.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Now that I am getting a defined area where I can grow established I am going to invest in more permanent fencing. I got some 2.2' tall dog-pen fencing that works well enough, but a determined groundhog or rabbit would have no problem. I like that stuff you have @TreeFarmerCharlie

I have been working to reclaim a larger area around the garden but with the briars, honeysuckle, these damn gold colored shrubs that spread like fucking strawberries, and enough poison ivy sprinkled around to keep you careful - I am just taking my time. I'm going to fence in that huge oak log instead of trying to move the damn thing.

If I can get that clover established as the ground cover that will solve a lot of problems.
The fencing I have I ordered through Lowe’s. I’ve never seen it actually in stock at the stores by me so I ordered it online and had them ship it to my house. Here’s a link in case you are wondering exactly what I have. The holes are only 3/4” x 3/4” so it should keep most pests out.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The fencing I have I ordered through Lowe’s. I’ve never seen it actually in stock at the stores by me so I ordered it online and had them ship it to my house. Here’s a link in case you are wondering exactly what I have. The holes are only 3/4” x 3/4” so it should keep most pests out.

Didn't see that it was plastic. I'm thinking steel but the same set-up with the easy-stakes.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
So, after all that work, pretty much everything we moved outside died because I didn't harden them off well enough. The only plants that survived were the tomatoes and peppers. I ended up going to a local garden center today and picked up really healthy looking starter plants and replanted everything...and after seeing how damn cheap they are I wonder why I bothered with seeds in the first place. It cost me like $25 for everything I needed to replace (9 beans, 3 zucchini, 3 squash, 3 cucumber, 6 cabbage, 6 iceberg lettuce, and 6 eggplant) plus I decided to add 6 basil plants and 6 romaine lettuce to the garden.

quu4v0X.jpg

LyUJE3g.jpg

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
and after seeing how damn cheap they are I wonder why I bothered with seeds in the first place.
Exactly. I think that for special stuff, heirloom tomatoes and such starting seeds is/was the way to go, but they are putting out some wild varieties in the garden center now. Not even worth it.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I am going pretty laid back. If it grows it grows. I have a good farmers market close.
The tape-strip "easy grow" seeds for the lettuce worked. I have three rows, and about 30' of tape/seeds left for more crops. I think I put green onion between the three rows. I know there's green onion in the small container.
IMG_4048.JPG
The cuke I started inside is gonna stay on my screened/greenhouse roof "porch" (half-ass covered deck) I'll let it climb around in there and see what happens. I have clover everywhere now. Hope I don't regret it LOL
IMG_4051.JPG
Only two issuesplants I have are the bell peppers I think they're done.
IMG_4052.JPG
The cage match.
IMG_4054.JPG
Zuchini n peas
IMG_4056.JPG
Cukes n peas
IMG_4057.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Chipmunks don't eat strawberries - apparently nothing does. I've gotten a few handfulls off basically junk plants. This might be a crop worth spending some effort on. These were in pots at my apartment over three years ago waiting on the divorce to finalize, and when I moved in I jammed them in the dirt. Period. I have done nothing to them, including watering. They get rain when it happens
IMG_4060.JPG
In the front is that parsley going to seed. Instead of having an herb garden, I have several spots around the yard I can get cooking supplies :) IMG_4059.JPG