2021 Mystery Pack Competition

m4s73r

The Laziest
I got stoned and wrote a book. I love this subject. I feel that the organic community has fallen victim to the "stuff" mentality in the cannabis industry. I strive to use the absolute least amount of stuff as I can. I also strive to keep my grow has hands off as possible. Clover/living mulch/cover crops has completely replaced my need for the following: compost teas, sst's, top dressing, worm bins, secondary composting, and hay/straw.

Plants compete for nutrients in the soil with other plants. Why we pull weeds around other plants, they consume the nutrients and water that are supposed to go to the plants I want.
Maybe some hippy bro science organic shit but I can't see any benefit personally to any other plants in the same root zone as the plants I wanna grow.
You are absolutely correct. In small pots (anything under 15g) I don't recommend using cover crop or living mulch due to competition of the water supply. With clover im not worried about nutrients so much as just moisture in general. Not saying it cant be done (H.A.F lol) but it does require a much larger time investment monitoring the moisture levels.
Actually for your set up I'd recommend putting B/White plastic over the tops of those pots. You will literally see a increase in moisture retention and a fuller root ball as you wont be developing that crust on the top as the water evaporates out the pot and a little reflective light under the canopy. Not a big deal either way.
I read this whole study on helping people in areas with infertile dry land. They are growing plants in pots. Covering the pots with white plastic sheeting helped retain water and reduce heat on the root ball. It turned this whole starving community around. Amazing stuff. I think it was in those condition that they saw a 30% increase in water retention. And when you're hauling that water from the river 3 miles away by hand... Save every drop. Since your under HPS with that radiant heat beating down on the pots I figured I'd toss the idea out there. Might save you 2 or 3 watering in a cycle? (im such a cheap bastard)

I reuse all my soil, the older it gets the better the ph stability, I do not have the time to ammend soils for compost nutrients with the lights I use.
I have to use a synthetic nutrient. The pots are to small to sustain the size of the space and demand seeds puts on the plants in week 6+
I personally prefer compost beds opposed to pots. It's what all my outdoor vegetables go in. I keep a huge outdoor garden on my property.
I am so stoked to read this. NICE. Most people would toss it with synthetics. Glad you know better! In small pots this can be challenging. Its much easier to dump small pots into a bigger bin for cooking time. Ive set up a couple people using 2-3 gallon plastic pots. Have 2 batches of soil. One in use, one cooking. Once harvest, dump used soil into giant pot, amend and let set for 2-3 months while your next round is growing. If you are up for looking at a feed that's not a synthetic, check out Eden BlueGold Fusion flower or Organics Alive V-PK. I have several of my FFOF growers that have got off the 3 bottle and onto either of those with awesome results in 3-10 gallon pots.

Stoner Ramblings incoming.

Thats what too many people are missing from a living soil. It needs time to rest and recharge itself. It needs time to eat. THAT is the point of growing clover as a "living mulch". Ever seen a pot with out any mulch on it or some sort of cover? It gets all hard and crusty and shit. And give it enough time its dry 2-4 inches down. The clovers roots only go down a few inches. So you can either have that 2-3 inches dry, :poop: or you can have a very fine root mass growing in it. This root mass is going to make a giant rhizosphere on the top layer. Its nice, moist, and almost spongy. 🥳 Now add that we mow this clover often. Now we got leaf littler. Its breaking down. Feeder roots are growing up into that rhizosphere. Bacteria and fungi population explode, nematodes explode, soil mites go up, (suddenly you have no gnats lol) break down is faster, worms move closer to surface because it stays moist and are eating the mowed clover. Soil biology is now PUMPING. That, in my very humble opinion, is Living soil.

And what all are we actually doing? In a bed or the recycle bin, mowing clover with some 14" grass sheers, dumping a small scoop of dry amendments over the clover a couple times a year, and hand watering in some micro nutrients. General watering is set up to water only 5% water to soil volume. So no run off. Its some really lazy shit. LOL You will notice that no shit teas were made, no seeds were sprouted and ground up. I didn't dump 5 lbs of worm casting and 3 cups of (laundry list of amendments) per plant and shit. I mowed some clover. took me 3 min per 4x4 bed twice a week.

This is kinda stepping into that area where we have to be careful with our wording. Organics and Living soil are similar but done differently. Same with cover crop and living mulch. They are 2 different systems, 2 different seeds/blends and several different purposes. @TreeFarmerCharlie nailed it when he said that it was used for ground cover, moisture retention and preventing compaction. That's cover crop. So now that we know that living mulch is just a giant salad of greens that were mowing like twice a week to feed the soil, lets talk cover crop a little.

Cover crops can be used a couple of different ways but were going to keep it in the realm of what we're doing. @Heisenbeans I'm going to apply it to your set up as an example.

So were in 2-3 gallon pots. Dumping in a bin and rotating soil. Your on your like 3rd or 4th cycle and you notice that it feels like the soil isnt as fluffy as it once was. So chop up the root balls really good, get everything nice and moist. Then you would seed in a no till cover crop blend. Now we're looking for plants that that got some hardy roots that will burrow down in that soil. Clovers, Fenugreek, Vetch, Flax, Cowpeas, Buckwheat, Forage Peas, Millet, Lentils are all good seed to use in a cover crop mix.

Were going to let it grow this nice full green top and let them roots get all deep into the soil breaking it up. Then were going to cover it with plastic, killing it all, and let it set till we're ready to swap soils again. If you are doing this in batches now you got 30-60 days of that soil just sitting there. Water some microbs into it and maintain the moisture. You will be amazed at how fluffy your soil is 30 days later. Letting it break down the cover crop, applying the Living mulch, and you got a pot full of nutrients that you can grow plants in again. Be sure to then seed in a clover only living mulch cover. Keep it moist, and chopping clover and you will build an amazing living soil in a few months.

I cant really take credit for any of this just so we are clear. Everything here I learned from soil food web school by Dr Elaine Ingham and a few soil biology and regeneration class I took online at MIT.

Last edited:
Day 30 & Harlets & Hashplants all now have their 4 tops deployed and are about to grab 3rd gear.
Harlets & Hasplants D30.JPG
Day 7 of flower for H2(Front Left) and she is trying to keep up with Lemon Slush(Back Left) and Brisco County Line(Middle Right) but BCL is about to force my hand and make me bust out a scrog to help.
H2-D7 BCL-D8 LSBW-D16 .JPG
H2-D7 BCL-D8 LSBW-D16 B.JPG
Christmas Weed.jpg H2-D7 BCL-D8 LSBW-D16 .JPG H2-D7 BCL-D8 LSBW-D16 B.JPG
Merry Christmas Everybody!

Last edited:

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Day 30 & Harlets & Hashplants all now have their 4 tops deployed and are about to grab 3rd gear.
View attachment 103805
Day 7 of flower for H2(Front Left) and she is trying to keep up with Lemon Slush(Back Left) and Brisco County Line(Middle Right) but BCL is about to force my hand and make me bust out a scrog to help.
View attachment 103806
View attachment 103807
View attachment 103804 View attachment 103806 View attachment 103807
I laugh every time I see your updates because my plants are still so small and I think I was the first person to get their seeds wet. :ROFLMAO:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
it does require a much larger time investment monitoring the moisture levels.
Retired.
or you can have a very fine root mass growing in it. This root mass is going to make a giant rhizosphere on the top layer. Its nice, moist, and almost spongy.
So the root mass is nice, moist, and spongy. Hmmmmm. Seems worth the investment in time :)

Covercrop on seedlings - agreed, not necessary. I am flipping at roughly a month and usually go straight to 5g from a mini cup. I did it on these because I will have them in the 1g for about 1/3 of their lives.

I shoot for 4-6 girls per month and i have eight 5g pots out of the rotation right now chillin, staying watered (once a week-ish) for the worms, and letting the cover crop go.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Another point is that 'watering' for me is just that. No ph-ing, no additives unless I want to add something. "oh shit they're hungry" takes no prep.

I think that keeping that mulch layer moist so the crop grew made it easier to keep from overwatering the babies. I just kept that top layer of mulch moist with a sprayer, and it kept the soil from losing it to evap. The pot never got light.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
View attachment 103805
View attachment 103806
View attachment 103807
View attachment 103804 View attachment 103806 View attachment 103807
I use trash cans. I beat out all the roots, add perlite for drainage and a little lime. I actually have worms in my soil now and have no clue where the fuck they all came from. It's been about 3 years I've been using the same dirt.

F series

Insanely Active Member
Just found thrips on a bunch of my up potted plants, I saw a bunch of shit in my soil before I up potted, but I get lazy bro 🤷

Spinosads gonna be everywhere, no problem 👍.

I've had them in 6 weeks flower and had no problem, these bitches are only veg so I really don't care 💅

Contest plants are in different tent and have different soil, but I'll spray them too.

They are doing great too, and ive been doing a very lazy grow so saw.

Pictures soon

GrowsomethingBill

Dirt Track Maniac 🏆 🏁
Just found thrips on a bunch of my up potted plants, I saw a bunch of shit in my soil before I up potted, but I get lazy bro 🤷

Spinosads gonna be everywhere, no problem 👍.

I've had them in 6 weeks flower and had no problem, these bitches are only veg so I really don't care 💅

Contest plants are in different tent and have different soil, but I'll spray them too.

They are doing great too, and ive been doing a very lazy grow so saw.

Pictures soon
I too have been pretty Lazy this past week with the Holidays and all of the edible Christmas treats.(just made a fresh batch of brownies because why not?) It don’t take much for me to get wore down, back pain among other health issues are another struggle(hence the edibles). But that being said I’ll have to get my ass in gear. Plan on posting up tomorrow.

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
Looking good dudes!! I'm still waiting for my seeds to arrive. If the end date is april 1 there's still time for me to play ball
None of the packages sent outside of the US (Besides Canada) made it to their destination. As a small business owner, it is very frustrating for me to spend the increased shipping costs to promote my brand overseas and not have the packages arrive. I will have to come up with a better plan next competition to get you guys involved in our events. Maybe I can use an EU seed bank as a middle man to order threw??

Kulla380

Really Active Member
None of the packages sent outside of the US (Besides Canada) made it to their destination. As a small business owner, it is very frustrating for me to spend the increased shipping costs to promote my brand overseas and not have the packages arrive. I will have to come up with a better plan next competition to get you guys involved in our events. Maybe I can use an EU seed bank as a middle man to order threw??
Ouh man that sucks but what can you do. It happens.. You should keep your eyes on Germany. They're looking into legalisation right now and if that happens things will change here in europe.. Back in the day I bought my seeds from UK but that's not an option anymore since they left EU

Mr. Greenz

Sadly, I haven't been posting because I got some bugs from a local Dispensary that has "clean" cuts and needless to say I almost dropped out of the competition because of them, but fuck it, I'm just here to show off plants and now that I have a handicap, you boys gave a shot! Jk lmfao

Well, if you fine growers will still have me, then I'll keep posting more regularly, good or bad.

And on a side note, this photo was taken before giving them their first feeding/right after transplanting them so yes the my coco is dry lol 😅

20211227_040539.jpg