175w mh vs 150w hps

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I built led light engines for high end flashlights for years and always cleaned with alcohol and never seen that happen and I have cleaned hundreds.
This whole thread is confusing to me. These seem like very basic questions coming from someone who has a logo for a genetics company for their avatar and they don't seem to be listening to any of the advice they are being given. I stopped trying to help because they are just ignoring the warnings myself and others are giving them.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
This whole thread is confusing to me. These seem like very basic questions coming from someone who has a logo for a genetics company for their avatar and they don't seem to be listening to any of the advice they are being given. I stopped trying to help because they are just ignoring the warnings myself and others are giving them.
Let's be fair here; people can know their genetics and how to pop beans inside and out and not know much about the technology of growing. Then there's me, the exact opposite; I have shit luck with seeds and I've never crossed a strain but I know the tech side very well indeed.

I think there's enough knowledge in modern indoor growing that it's impossible for one person to be fully up to speed on everything.

Joebud

Insanely Active Member
I want to thank everyone for the input. I have always used hps or metal halide. You all have guided me to leds. I never realized a hundred watt led can produce 16000 lumens like a hundred and fifty watt hps. 50 watts less a hour is huge savings. I will be aware of the fake leds and false advertising. I will post what I'm looking at and get everyone's opinion.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
This one cought my eye on Amazon. It has a few uv diodes. ROYPAM LED Grow Light R1000View attachment 107410
Here's the problem with no name LED lights from overseas; it may work and it may not. It might give out after a week or a month. It might not have what it is advertised to have. What's your recourse? Jack shit, because the company is overseas.

Now, take a company like HLG; you WILL pay more but what do you get in return? First, you're getting what they're promising; top quality diodes in a light that's built to high quality standards because they stand behind them up to and including replacement. No dealing with a faceless company half a world away; you're going to get a real person on the phone who WILL help you.

Now it's up to you whether that kind of peace of mind is worth paying for.

Last edited:

Streetpro09

Tester
This one cought my eye on Amazon. It has a few uv diodes. ROYPAM LED Grow Light R1000
I'd look around this site a bit. He's good people and good products for good prices.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
This one cought my eye on Amazon. It has a few uv diodes. ROYPAM LED Grow Light R1000View attachment 107410
Notice how they aren't using a brand name driver? That's a huge red flag. The driver is one of the most important parts of the light. I would also recommend checking out GrowdaddyLED. The only thing I would recommend, if you do, is to make sure you tell him you want an "AB" of "B" driver so you can easily dim the light with a potentiometer. Dimming a driver using the on-board pot is a pain in the ass because they are really sensitive. I've built 3 lights with his kits and have no complaints. You can also source all the parts and build your own from a place like digikey but it's more expensive. If you really want to keep the cost down then building your own light is a better way to go than buying these cheap Chinese lights off of Amazon.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I was gifted a tester light that uses this same tech with randomly spaced different color diodes. I looked like a high-end blurple and worked about like that. On a QB I think they all look the same until you turn it on, except the red and blue. All the white ones have the same yellow look but the diodes themselves produce different spectrums. That looks like those 1960s Christmas light where the paint starts to flake off after a year or two. Probably using some "hyper-nano-technology" coating...

It is not a QB - which is where I'd drop cash for low-end high value. Or strip lights for better coverage. Or do whatever it's your money. Seems you want the attention more than anything else. Start a grow journal when you eventually buy this light that you won't be talked out of.