Why no auto?

Weedkiller

Nothing but top shelf
I started out on photos years ago and avoided autos due to a bad rep. I've since learned autos have a place in the tent as well. If you've run mephisto or mosca,Mosca, I was very surprised and now I can veg and flower in the same space and have variety. Just saying. :p:unsure:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I started out on photos years ago and avoided autos due to a bad rep. I've since learned autos have a place in the tent as well. If you've run mephisto or mosca,Mosca, I was very surprised and now I can veg and flower in the same space and have variety. Just saying. :p:unsure:
I got a ChemD auto as a freebie from Ethos, and was gifted some Zkittles autos. Both produced great weed. I think as the industry progresses people are figgerin' shit out.

Main issue for me is that they can't be run like a regular plant or they turn out mediocre. They need 18/6 veg light or longer from start to finish, and if you miss up-potting you stunt them.

So you run them in your continuous veg area so you don't have to change anything and they do fine - and are taller than everything you intended the veg area for and all your babies have to be on shelves or something.

So for me they are a novelty. I can see it being a must for the Pacific Northwest outdoor growers to get a harvest in before the rain and fog early fall, or Alaska where they won't get a 12/12 light cycle at all. But for a tent they are a bitch unless that's all you grow - then your electric bill is covering the added expense of running them instead of 12/12 plants.

I wanna like autos but their consistency is all over(for me anyways) the place. I think they are a dream for outdoor grows though and that's what I am going to do next season with all my accumulating freebies.

H.A.F makes a great point that people are starting to figure them out... Once H or High kev NAILS a new auto that grows a QP of nice and dense potent nugs from seed to stoned in 10 weeks I might give them a run inside again.

StonedAgeGrower

I have yet to try any autos myself, but have had friends run Autos from some less than reputable sources, and they were all over the place. Some werent even autos, some herms, some clearly not at all like the cultivar they were described, etc.

That said, I've had my eye on a few of Mephisto/NightOwl Autos. Ive heard from a few people I respect say that their work is bar-none when it comes to Autoflowers👍

Definitely seems like the potential is there if someone can produce Auto seeds that are reliably 100% Autos, and can come close in potency and terps to Traditional varieties. We'd have grandparents all over throwing some Autos in the Tomato garden every spring🤣🤣

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have yet to try any autos myself, but have had friends run Autos from some less than reputable sources, and they were all over the place. Some werent even autos, some herms, some clearly not at all like the cultivar they were described, etc.

That said, I've had my eye on a few of Mephisto/NightOwl Autos. Ive heard from a few people I respect say that their work is bar-none when it comes to Autoflowers👍

Definitely seems like the potential is there if someone can produce Auto seeds that are reliably 100% Autos, and can come close in potency and terps to Traditional varieties. We'd have grandparents all over throwing some Autos in the Tomato garden every spring🤣🤣
There's an auto-strain company that has started releasing "fast-flower" regs. I guess making auto's is a multiple-breeding thing to get true autos, but after the first breeding the regs are still mostly photos - but for some reason the flower time is reduced by a week or more from the parents. They aren't auto's yet, but they have that gene in there.

Streetpro09

Tester
There's an auto-strain company that has started releasing "fast-flower" regs. I guess making auto's is a multiple-breeding thing to get true autos, but after the first breeding the regs are still mostly photos - but for some reason the flower time is reduced by a week or more from the parents. They aren't auto's yet, but they have that gene in there.
Here's something to discuss.

Read the description and tell me what you think you'd get from these seeds. Not too sure why they are for sale yet if only 3/4 of them will be autos. Nothing like jumping the gun?

Loco Grown

I'm generally not a fan of autos, but admittedly don't have a lot of experience with them. I've only grown two autos ever, the first was a freebee (Purple Gorilla Auto), and it wasn't good -- just poor bud structure in general. I grew it as an ornamental basically, ended up getting botrytis and tossed it. I decided to try another auto, but went for the best thc testing auto I could find, which was Saltwater OG from Purple City Genetics. I only grew one plant of it, but was much better than the first auto. For me, autos can find a place in my life on the back porch. I usually like to keep my porch light on at night, so photos don't work out there, but it's covered with a polycarb roof and gets good sun. I haven't made it a priority, but want to get a couple of auto strains from PCG, and cross them so I can have a top of auto seeds, and just pop them all over the place. They might call me Johnny-Autoseed some day haha!

Here's a pic of the Saltwater OG..

IMG_20210627_130911686 (1).jpg

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's something to discuss.

Read the description and tell me what you think you'd get from these seeds. Not too sure why they are for sale yet if only 3/4 of them will be autos. Nothing like jumping the gun?
2 things. From a smoking/concentrates standpoint it looks to have a good variety of non-THC canabinoids with the possibility of snagging a stoner. Check the CBD pages on here to see the why's on growing that.

But if you wanted to breed true autos the next step would be to cross these back with another auto plant (or some such nonsense) to get the ones that pop as true autos. Or maybe it's the breeding after that. Its a percentages/numbers thing and keeping the right ones to do that.

So for someone breeding auto's it probably clicks with them as saving a few steps in the process?

Stoner thoughts... I have a friend that likes to grow autos because in his mind he feels like they are the quickest way to get buds into a jar and require the least amount of effort to do so. I am trying to talk him into letting me give him 4 fresh rooted cuts of Magic Melon in dwc and put them in his tent on 12/12 and let him see what they look like in 9 weeks.
:ROFLMAO:

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Stoner thoughts... I have a friend that likes to grow autos because in his mind he feels like they are the quickest way to get buds into a jar and require the least amount of effort to do so. I am trying to talk him into letting me give him 4 fresh rooted cuts of Magic Melon in dwc and put them in his tent on 12/12 and let him see what they look like in 9 weeks.
:ROFLMAO:
I don't understand what the rush is for so many growers, anyway, unless they are selling and run out quickly. I don't even get antsy for harvest anymore because I know I'm going to want to cure it before I try it. It seems like the time flies by when you don't care about it finishing quickly, too :unsure:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I don't understand what the rush is for so many growers, anyway, unless they are selling and run out quickly. I don't even get antsy for harvest anymore because I know I'm going to want to cure it before I try it. It seems like the time flies by when you don't care about it finishing quickly, too :unsure:
(be warned, I'm pretty high...)
Agreed. for small scale growers it should be laid back. Maybe the first few runs while building a stash quick-bud might take priority over everything else just to get the headstash set up.

But if you only have a small area and you are growing a cash crop to feed the kids or pay the rent I can definitely see the draw. For autos in a cash crop situation the only real factor would be the electric cost from running them at 18/6 or longer for the whole grow versus having a 12/12 area for photo plants to finish in. Factored against the number of extra harvests you can pull it would be a numbers game. And probably depend on electric costs in your area vs the price of weed.

D

Deleted member 60

If you sell/sling for a living.... the electric bill is the last thing on your mind...other than to remember to pay it. :ROFLMAO:

Gotta admit..I've never tried any autos. Had packs of "Guerilla Gold" in the seed bucket for years from Heaven's Stairway but just never ran em out. Wasn't growing outside then...and there was no way I' was gonna interrupt the flow/etc. of what I had goin' on to intro what was then..a real crap shoot. Glad to hear they've progressed in their reliability. Could be something fun to play with @ some point. Out here they would work well cus you'd beat the frost/freeze threat if they finished...even in early Sept. Shit goes downhill fast here once the change starts....

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If you sell/sling for a living.... the electric bill is the last thing on your mind...other than to remember to pay it. :ROFLMAO:
I have heard of small businesses having their light cycles at night because that was "off peak" hours at their ginormously expensive electricity provider. Like I said, it might depend on it. Electric is cheap where I am so it wouldn't matter for me, but it might for some.

The fact that it is the main difference as far as crop-growing expenses it is a factor to consider. You are still watering every few days, feeding plants etc. doesn't matter photo/auto. The difference in electricity usage is about it expenditure-wise. And if you have a business and don't factor in grow costs I don't want to be your accountant.

D

Deleted member 60

If you are slingin illegally you have no accountant... (hopefully..if yer smart) only an attorney on retainer and a pickle jar stuffed full of Bens.

I don't know about anyone else...but when I was actively in the game...the costs of operating NEVER mattered because the returns were so fuckin huge. $400 of electricity = 12K a month in product. No-fuckin-brainer there. Ditto soil/equipment. You just walk in to the hydro shop...get what you want...and dig in the jar for the Bens to make it happen.

Then you buy your kids nice shit...and the wife nice shit....and none of it registers as a dent in the personal finances. Ever.

God that was fun while it lasted.... (OK..so there's no God but you get my drift)

Loco Grown

I have heard of small businesses having their light cycles at night because that was "off peak" hours at their ginormously expensive electricity provider. Like I said, it might depend on it. Electric is cheap where I am so it wouldn't matter for me, but it might for some.

The fact that it is the main difference as far as crop-growing expenses it is a factor to consider. You are still watering every few days, feeding plants etc. doesn't matter photo/auto. The difference in electricity usage is about it expenditure-wise. And if you have a business and don't factor in grow costs I don't want to be your accountant.
If you are slingin illegally you have no accountant... (hopefully..if yer smart) only an attorney on retainer and a pickle jar stuffed full of Bens.

I don't know about anyone else...but when I was actively in the game...the costs of operating NEVER mattered because the returns were so fuckin huge. $400 of electricity = 12K a month in product. No-fuckin-brainer there. Ditto soil/equipment. You just walk in to the hydro shop...get what you want...and dig in the jar for the Bens to make it happen.

Then you buy your kids nice shit...and the wife nice shit....and none of it registers as a dent in the personal finances. Ever.

God that was fun while it lasted.... (OK..so there's no God but you get my drift)
If you are in an area with high electricity costs, it definitely pays to run when the power costs are lower. As an example, someone running eight 600w lights (plus fans and such) will see monthly power costs of around $400 if they run at night vs over $1000 for the same power during the day. That's over $1200 difference for a 60-day flowering cycle. Over $7000 a year, not chump change.

Screenshot (2).png

Weedkiller

Nothing but top shelf

I've run mephisto,Mosca,binary selection mix pack, magic,Mandaloirian (gnome) alf5 was fire. Hell they all were. I can harvest in 2.5 months. I'm having fun running different gear. I got magic,New420seedguy and Jean-O currently. I've been happy with the quality. Autos can take topping and lst. Especially good as my tent is only 3x3x6.