Who’s up for a new 2021 contest? Brainstorming thread

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think I understand your perspective, and make no attempt to do anything other than share mine.

I am not looking for a prize, I am looking for knowledge. 10 growers growing the same genetics in the same size pot excites me because of the knowledge it affords. A contest is as close as I will ever get to that, unless someone wants to "team up" and start running plants head to head on the regular. Any takers? Race teams that have multiple cars learn more on the track than small teams with one car. The treasures I seek are gems of knowledge between growers. I come into this looking for the 10 growers growing the same genetics in the same size pot, not looking for a hierarchy of prizes and winners.

The contest isnt my personal goal, its just the vessel.
And the point I was making is that the forum is for that every day - no prize or rules needed. You are describing a grow journal, and making some decisions about your next grow. Do it - damn a contest. That is all I do.

A contest is to test what you've learned, with a prize.

Dis39

Really Active Member
And the point I was making is that the forum is for that every day - no prize or rules needed. You are describing a grow journal, and making some decisions about your next grow. Do it - damn a contest. That is all I do.

A contest is to test what you've learned, with a prize.
Clearly I have not done an adequate job separating my thoughts in regard to the contest, and my longing for a tight knit community of growers working together on the advancement of cannabis cultivation through competitive cannabis grows with shared and agreed upon constants. I look forward to seeing where this lands.

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
Clearly I have not done an adequate job separating my thoughts in regard to the contest, and my longing for a tight knit community of growers working together on the advancement of cannabis cultivation through competitive cannabis grows with shared and agreed upon constants. I look forward to seeing where this lands.
There are tons of preservation grows out there many people growing the same plant. If thats what you want then they are out there.

If you guys want to do two comps we can do two. one for soil one for hydro.

i can supply the seed so everyone is running the same cross if thats agreeable?

1 gallon pot for soil. I am sure i can find some cool prizes for the end.

as for how to win we can talk about that but im still in favor of everyone picking their top 3 fav grows and then tallying up the evryones top 3 for the winning spot. but im open to suggestions Weight is out as its just two easy to be cheated

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think the perfect competition tests grower vs grower.

Sooooo, the 'perfect' competition would have everyone starting with the same beans, and a deadline. Do what you want, see who gets the best weight, fattest bud, best bag appeal, etc.

Sooooo, some creative chucker with some fire packs as prizes could send out that next strain they want tested... and the competition factor might just keep more people testing/playing

Just spitballing.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It would be adding the cost of whatever prize the chucker includes to the cost of shipping testers, but it might get you a better return on the investment.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Get more chuckers acting as contest hosts and you'll have a good bit of the forum growing the same strains for a bit.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Or if there is more than one strain to be tested, shipping a few packs of beans is no more expensive. Lots of ways to go from there.

Say there are three new crosses. Pack-o-beans prize for best plant of each, grand prize whatever that may be for best three. Stuff like that. Once you know the goal, figuring out the rules would be easy.

Best pics getting used in advertizing is another good prize. Might not even be one of the other winners.

Dis39

Really Active Member
I think the perfect competition tests grower vs grower.

Sooooo, the 'perfect' competition would have everyone starting with the same beans, and a deadline. Do what you want, see who gets the best weight, fattest bud, best bag appeal, etc.

Sooooo, some creative chucker with some fire packs as prizes could send out that next strain they want tested... and the competition factor might just keep more people testing/playing

Just spitballing.
That also removes any concerns about voting and picking a winner. The chucker decides.
Get more chuckers acting as contest hosts and you'll have a good bit of the forum growing the same strains for a bit.
@H.A.F. 's got it.

1 gallon, no rules, same seeds? Who's seeds we gonna run? Do a forum wide Sangria Cookies? 🧐

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
Any medium, any size, but have a set drop and flip date. It would be great to see the difference between styles given the same time constraints
Harvest date or end date shouldn't be needed since everyone is growing the same thing and flipping the same day.
Lol this is what I said from the get go same strain and a flip date other than that unrestricted.

I can supply the beans ( regs ) I have 2 separate crosses that could be avail if you wanted to see a variety. (one cross to each contestant).

We can come up with a few winning parameters but weight just won’t be one I’ve seen too many cheat the weight part of a contest.