Who’s up for a new 2021 contest? Brainstorming thread

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I'm open to whatever concensus thinks the veg time should be - but I think there should be one.
Veg time would vary if everyone was doing their own thing i.e. topping, lst’ing and what not. It’s be easier to mandate a veg time if everyone was doing the same thing.

That's a good idea to get a comparison of everyone who participates. If we adapted your idea could it be tweaked to say that the plant/plants need to be put into flower at a certain height?
That could work too, but again, is the veg time set or is it a window?

I think a plant-for-plant comparison would definitely be easier to judge if there was no LST or pruning.
Exactly! Too many variables are needed if you’re going to allow an “anything goes” competition.

What really should be defined first, and I think @H.A.F. mentioned this somewhere earlier, is the GOAL of the competition.

Once the goal is determined, then you can start to set up some rules.

cedew

Gotta go back to the beginning and ask the OP what the objective is. Usually, this stuff is just for fun and is a medium for people to engage each other to help build a community, not so much a controlled science experiment. Some controls are good just to keep that one asshole in check that blows everyone away by submitting some 5lb'er they actually started three months ago. I'd vote for sprouting and flipping on a certain day, or perhaps a very short window like within 2-3 days for people that happen to by stuck doing something on that specific day.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Gotta go back to the beginning and ask the OP what the objective is. Usually, this stuff is just for fun and is a medium for people to engage each other to help build a community, not so much a controlled science experiment. Some controls are good just to keep that one asshole in check that blows everyone away by submitting some 5lb'er they actually started three months ago. I'd vote for sprouting and flipping on a certain day, or perhaps a very short window like within 2-3 days for people that happen to by stuck doing something on that specific day.
Well there has to be a goal or objective, otherwise why have a competition? Without a goal, it’s just a bunch of people growing plants.

I still think a competition where everyone has the same genetics would be to:

Start seeds within a short window - say 7 days (September 1 - 7th)

Veg until plant is “x” weeks (5?) from dry seed or “x” inches tall, whichever occurs first, at which time the flip to 12:12 occurs. No topping, LST’ing, pruning, defoliating or any other form of manipulation. The breeder may have to set these parameters knowing the genetics in play and given most everyone’s tent’s limit final height.

Plants must be harvested at the end of the window of flowering time provided by the breeder. So if the flowering window provided is 8 - 9 weeks, plants must be harvested on day 63.

Prizes could be:

Prettiest Cola at day 49 (By vote)

Heaviest yield, (whole plant untrimmed) at time of harvest

Heaviest yield, dried and cured to 60% relative humidity. This one is tricky though given different trimming styles.

All of the above just suggestions and food for thought.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Well there has to be a goal or objective, otherwise why have a competition? Without a goal, it’s just a bunch of people growing plants.

Veg until plant is “x” weeks (5?) from dry seed or “x” inches tall, whichever occurs first, at which time the flip to 12:12 occurs. No topping, LST’ing, pruning, defoliating or any other form of manipulation. The breeder may have to set these parameters knowing the genetics in play and given most everyone’s tent’s limit final height.

Plants must be harvested at the end of the window of flowering time provided by the breeder. So if the flowering window provided is 8 - 9 weeks, plants must be harvested on day 63.

Prizes could be:

Heaviest yield, dried and cured to 60% relative humidity. This one is tricky though given different trimming styles.

All except the harvest days/time/pulling plants before they are ripe.

As far as the style, I can top a plant after 3 weeks and have a 4-top ready to flip in a month to 5 weeks. Other people with different nutes, lights, grow medium etc. might do better with another method - in that same timeframe. Havingn the same genetics removes a necessary variablle. Using the same veg time I think would be more field levelling than the limitation on pruning/LST. It would also provide some insight into which style you DON'T use might be better than the one you do.

cedew

Prizes could be:

Definitely didn't say there is no objective, only that we should ask the OP what that is. I think we're talking about roughly the same thing except the fourth paragraph where things become too controlled, imo. Unless that's the goal, to see how the plant looks with being allowed minor variations within the constraints you mentioned, but even then with the plants being from seed, it's maybe half competition and half random luck with genetics. In which case, let people make the best with what they have within the allotted time, again just imo.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
The more I think about this, the more it makes sense (to me) to have everyone take a dry seed and everyone gets it wet on the same day, then everyone must flip on the same day, regardless of topping, LST, etc. it would be better, IMO, if training wasn’t allowed - everyone grows a single cola, unadulterated plant, that way you get an actual comparison of growing styles/media/hardware.
I like this idea.
further spitballing......
wet on the same day.....you can be late not early
A) Pick a day of veg.......... all provide a pic.....vote
B)Pick a day of flower.......all provide a pic......vote
**grower has option of when to flower as long as it's after the flower pic date
C)Finish date.......a little tricky to come up with a one size fits all, but an acceptable range will work, pic and vote
D) Weight.............easy enuff and a vote
E) Quality.............a simple vote.

Weight all parts A thru E @ 20% of the tally.........highest tally wins.

This way there is some grow flexibility and input and is definitely better than the all weight thing. Lst, Prune, light dep...do whatever you want as long as you make those dates. I think voting in the veg stage/ multiple voting, will be interesting.

lets keep spitballing this

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
All except the harvest days/time/pulling plants before they are ripe.

As far as the style, I can top a plant after 3 weeks and have a 4-top ready to flip in a month to 5 weeks. Other people with different nutes, lights, grow medium etc. might do better with another method - in that same timeframe. Havingn the same genetics removes a necessary variablle. Using the same veg time I think would be more field levelling than the limitation on pruning/LST. It would also provide some insight into which style you DON'T use might be better than the one you do.
OK, I like that topping (once) won’t extend the veg time unreasonably, and if end weight is a goal, then veg time has to be limited to “x” number of days. It also has to be short enough, that in-topped plants can still finish (Height-wise) in a “standard tent.
Definitely didn't say there is no objective, only that we should ask the OP what that is. I think we're talking about roughly the same thing except the fourth paragraph where things become too controlled, imo. Unless that's the goal, to see how the plant looks with being allowed minor variations within the constraints you mentioned, but even then with the plants being from seed, it's maybe half competition and half random luck with genetics. In which case, let people make the best with what they have within the allotted time, again just imo.
Sorry Man, I didn’t mean to put words in your mouth.

And your right, there will most likely be variations in the plant phenos from the seeds, unless they are highly worked and stabilized lines, which is unlikely. But, IMO, this also introduces a bit of luck into the competition, just to spice things up a bit!

I like this idea.
further spitballing......
wet on the same day.....you can be late not early
A) Pick a day of veg.......... all provide a pic.....vote
B)Pick a day of flower.......all provide a pic......vote
**grower has option of when to flower as long as it's after the flower pic date
C)Finish date.......a little tricky to come up with a one size fits all, but an acceptable range will work, pic and vote
D) Weight.............easy enuff and a vote
E) Quality.............a simple vote.

Weight all parts A thru E @ 20% of the tally.........highest tally wins.

This way there is some grow flexibility and input and is definitely better than the all weight thing. Lst, Prune, light dep...do whatever you want as long as you make those dates. I think voting in the veg stage/ multiple voting, will be interesting.

lets keep spitballing this
I like most of this. Quality is a hard one - so subjective. I guess you could have “Best Bag Appeal - by vote.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
OK, I like that topping (once) won’t extend the veg time unreasonably, and if end weight is a goal, then veg time has to be limited to “x” number of days. It also has to be short enough, that in-topped plants can still finish (Height-wise) in a “standard tent.

Sorry Man, I didn’t mean to put words in your mouth.

And your right, there will most likely be variations in the plant phenos from the seeds, unless they are highly worked and stabilized lines, which is unlikely. But, IMO, this also introduces a bit of luck into the competition, just to spice things up a bit!

I like most of this. Quality is a hard one - so subjective. I guess you could have “Best Bag Appeal - by vote.
There needs to be a goal for me to play. If it is going to keep my attention for four-five months I neet to be trying to do something besides 'please the crowd'. I ain't that guy.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It can be as simple as having your smoke report/description match the most closely to what the breeder was looking for. I'd rather have a judge or panel of judges rather than the people I am competing with voting for or against me - and me for or against them.

Objectivity is a myth, then comes disgruntled - which ain't a myth.

Streetpro09

Tester
It can be as simple as having your smoke report/description match the most closely to what the breeder was looking for. I'd rather have a judge or panel of judges rather than the people I am competing with voting for or against me - and me for or against them.

Objectivity is a myth, then comes disgruntled - which ain't a myth.
Are you worried about your popularly? 🤣. Come on man! At least you know you'll beat me. 😉

Skunkle Justin

The other thread has me thinking about doing something fun and a little different, plus I always like to see people's creative budget DIY projects, so was thinking of something like a little micro desktop hydro build, like the solo cup contests with a single 1-2ft cola, but from some sort of hydro build.
Not a bad idea. A hydro run in a 7/11 slurpee cup would be fun. Flip it once it hits 12” and use a desk lamp. I’m in👍🏻