Where did all the time go? It's the >Everything Old School< thread!

• Thread starter Deleted member 60
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 60

Equipment....procuring genetics...initiating security measures...there were >a lot< of things that were different back in the day.

If you have some tales to tell of the past...let's hear 'em.

What systems were you (sucked into...LOL) using or did your friends use? What nutes? Lights/hoods? If available/in existence in your area...how did you handle trips to the hydro store? Were you noided as fuck? Were you making late night dumpster runs to rid yourself of leaf and stems? That kinda stuff. You know the gig if you were there.

D

Deleted member 60

Might as well start at the top of the ridiculousness. Who remembers this...."The Omega Garden"? Kinda looks like an MRI machine, huh?
OIP (4).jpegPROTOTYPE_OMEGA_PIC_1.jpg

14 weeks of growing and a week of cleaning...LOL. I never used one but I did see one in action once. Talk about flash frying clones.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Might as well start at the top of the ridiculousness. Who remembers this...."The Omega Garden"? Kinda looks like an MRI machine, huh?
View attachment 131931View attachment 131932

14 weeks of growing and a week of cleaning...LOL. I never used one but I did see one in action once. Talk about flash frying clones.
Things massive, compact but huge. Would be a nightmare to run lol

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I remember my first light..well not my first light ever but my first purchased light. 1000 watt Hydrofarm with the HUGE ballast, Hood, glass etc....well it all comes in one box and the one box comes UPS. So there I am home that day and the ups guy pulls up and takes out my light in a huge box with a poster glued on it about growing indoors. UPS guy says "what kinda weed you gonna be growing?" Instant bust without planting a seed :D..........I was like "that's for a guy at work" LOFL...............so much for discrete shipping. Still have that boat anchor around here somewhere :)

D

Deleted member 2835

Those old hps ballasts were no joke when it came to weight...even the newer digital ballasts were still pretty chunky. I remember my first light I purchased it was a 400 watt has. I bought it while I was still in the army at a hydro shop in Raleigh NC. I never did flower anything under it my brother did though. I let him use it and all of my gear I bought because I wasn't able to use it at the time. Got out of the army bought my first house and made my first online purchase of hydroponics equipment. A 1000 watt hydrofarm with all the shit for an active exhaust. I also accidentally purchased like 200 2 gallon pots a bunch of fox farm nutrients I think I spent like 2500 bucks altogether for everything. The ups guy drops it off to my wife and asks what the hell all of this shit was for. He thought I bought a pool...lol

D

Deleted member 60

I went from shop lights to 2 of these with the BIG basketball MH lamps in 'em. Circa 1986. They were free/from a friend whose dad was cleaning out their garage and found them. They were in his older brothers shit and his dad was going to junk em...so I swung by and they disappeared. Had ballasts in sheet metal boxes measuring about 12 x 12 x 8. Heavy AF. Buzzed horribly...but with 2000 watts I was able to blow it up and get some newer shit.

OIP (5).jpeg

D

Deleted member 60

I had that book as well. And Ed's book. Without the Net...as ya know...info was sketchy/hard to come by. "Broscience"...while knocked heavily today...was all a guy had.

So on we go. I knew a couple of cats who bought "The Coliseum". Somewhere around 300 plant sites....and you could use 2 or 3 1000 watters in cool tubes hung vertically if you wanted to fully blow the roof off. Like all hydro...it worked great until it didn't...and yup...there was always a serious amount of time spent readying for the next run. Anybody wanna come by and washed hydroton?

You could run it in the round or clamshell it and blast it from one side.picture (1).jpegpicture.gif

They also had another system called "The Cube" but I've yet to find a pic of it.

D

Deleted member 60

As far as paranoia goes I've never been noided out. I figure if the government wants you you'll already be gone. So fuck em.
That's my current attitude for sure. I'm old and retired with 35 fears....'er...years under the belt and have a bit of pension $$$ saved to hire lawyers and shit if needed...so I've done "45" count (legal for me is 9) the last few years just because it seems that number is safe from prosecution...so far. I may not push it that far next year though...LOL. It's a principle thing. I'm just not gonna comply. LOL. God I feel so fuckin' tough now...

But in the day...aka the early 90's with the "Drug Task force" in full effect...kicking doors down all over town...it was a scary proposition and I didn't sleep well for years. I smoke enough weed I haven't dreamed in decades...but back then I'd dream...oh my...I'd dream...of them boys in blue comin'. Scary dreams. Back then you could lose your house to forfeiture and your kids to Child Services...but those 4-6K pounds were just too enticing...so we played anyway. I couldn't keep up. It was crazy good.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
It wasn’t worth the risk to me to grow when it was illegal here, and I was in the military throughout the 90s, so I’m a new grower compared to a lot of you. I ran a lot of the older ballasts and MH lights, though, when I had salt water reef tanks. We used to joke about how cops would think we had grow ops because you could spot our houses from down the road with all the light our tanks put out.

D

Deleted member 60

It was well worth it here. As an hourly grunt in the workforce with a series of idiots for bosses and 2 infant children in daycare...which basically ate up the entire "after taxes" paycheck...it was pretty easy for me to jump ship on the daily 9-5 and pack the crawlspace with plants. I can honestly say...now that it's 25 years in the past...that it was 6 figure fun for quite a few years there. I had 2 infants at the time...so I stayed home with the grow and became "Mr. Mom" and took over all of the household BS while the wife did the daily grind. It just kept mushrooming...LOL. After "Medical" hit... I had a 48 plant "extended" count on my med card...so there was a lot of room to play...quasi-legal...and the intensity/worry let up a bit. Once I told my kids about my MMJ card in 2006... (another long story involving police...LOL) I nixed the crawlspace grow and set up the entire double car garage. That was when I was growing full on hydro/Under Current/etc. with 10K of vert light. Ah...the fun.

And now ya gotta give it away.... heeehee....

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
As far as paranoia goes I've never been noided out. I figure if the government wants you you'll already be gone. So fuck em.
It's was all about asset forfeiture here. If you had assets, you'd of been better off buying, not growing..........at least not getting caught.
Even now, with weed legalized, my county is one that opted out of any distributions and further you can't do anything related to weed as a bizness here. Buncha pricks!

D

Deleted member 60

My county is the same regarding any commercial ventures surrounding weed other than a couple of Medical dispensaries. The only limits set on an individual level is a 12 count per residence limit. (say 3 guys over 21 live there. Individually they can grow 6 each...but because they live together...the >house< is capped at 12) We're Old School and ignore it all...just like in the old days!

@MisterKister ...it's good to not worry... but those folks who have relied on it for an income will not be pleased.